Battlefield 3 General Discussion Thread

Really, really, really not a fan of the web front-end.

Agreed. Like people have said, at least it's better than previous DICE in-game browsers, but that's not an excuse for doing this instead. They needed to just up their game and put it in-game.

Why does my view in jets sometimes shake uncontrollably when I switch to cockpit view in a jet? Is this supposed to be a feature? If so its a dumb one.

It got a lot better for me late last night. Was able to play several large map conquest rounds in a row without crashing. The game is just incredibly bad-ass and immersive. Trying to focus on work at the moment but might have to try a couple rounds.

Why does the third person in my party keeps disconnecting during game load? Has anyone noticed this?

Im enjoying it but me and my friends havnt been able to play coop. Neither of us are getting invites. Anyone having this issue yet?

Played 2 1/2 hours last night and was able to level up to Lance CPL (5). Had an absolute blast with the game. No major bugs that other people seem to be experiencing, though I did have the occasional rubber banding issue in a couple servers as well as the green flicker now and then.

The battles are epic. Especially when your team really starts to work together. Love setting up the M249 and ambushing an approaching squad, or covering an assault. It's what Battlefield should be.

One thing I've noticed is that the mobile AA seems overpowered. Especially on maps where they can set up just outside of their main base and watch aircraft taking off from the opposing base. Several times on Caspian I was literally about 50 feet off the ground in a helo and was immediately locked onto and taking damage from across the map. Flares do very little to confuse the heat seakers as well.

I'm also a bit disappointed with the helo's in general. They still have that "sloshy" aspect to them that I hated from BC2. Maybe it needs some tweaking in the options menu, but it's going to take some getting used to. Couldn't quite maneuver them through the tree line like I can with the ones in BF2.

Still, aside from those issues, it's just a phenomenal game. The landscapes are jaw dropping and when you watch a major battle take place from a distance, there's just no game out there today that can touch it.

Why does my view in jets sometimes shake uncontrollably when I switch to cockpit view in a jet? Is this supposed to be a feature? If so its a dumb one.

It seems like it may be a 'turbulence' effect. I didn't notice it in the Hog but in the Hornet it was awful. I can understand having an effect like that if you are pulling a high-g turn, but it really should be toned way down. I was buffeting all over the place even on shallow AOA strafing runs.

Played 2 1/2 hours last night and was able to level up to Lance CPL (5). Had an absolute blast with the game. No major bugs that other people seem to be experiencing, though I did have the occasional rubber banding issue in a couple servers as well as the green flicker now and then.

The battles are epic. Especially when your team really starts to work together. Love setting up the M249 and ambushing an approaching squad, or covering an assault. It's what Battlefield should be.

One thing I've noticed is that the mobile AA seems overpowered. Especially on maps where they can set up just outside of their main base and watch aircraft taking off from the opposing base. Several times on Caspian I was literally about 50 feet off the ground in a helo and was immediately locked onto and taking damage from across the map. Flares do very little to confuse the heat seakers as well.

I'm also a bit disappointed with the helo's in general. They still have that "sloshy" aspect to them that I hated from BC2. Maybe it needs some tweaking in the options menu, but it's going to take some getting used to. Couldn't quite maneuver them through the tree line like I can with the ones in BF2.

Still, aside from those issues, it's just a phenomenal game. The landscapes are jaw dropping and when you watch a major battle take place from a distance, there's just no game out there today that can touch it.

With the flares to be effective you basically have to fire them just moments before you get hit. And then, the player can reload their stinger faster then your chopper can reload its flares. Very annoying.

With the flares to be effective you basically have to fire them just moments before you get hit. And then, the player can reload their stinger faster then your chopper can reload its flares. Very annoying.

Yeah that's what I've been trying to do, but since the mobile AA has two rockets per reload, it's pretty useless.

I have a brand-new G700 at 4000 DPI and I haver no problem with the mouse movement. Lowering the sensitivity a tad in-game and turning on raw mouse movement made it even better.

Thats funny because I have a G700 at 4000 DPI and when I move the mouse a little bit the view is responsive and turns my character around 360 degrees, but if I move it fast across the pad then I dont turn full circle and my view has to "catch up" because of the tremendous amount of negative acceleration that is being applied.

I have turned on and off raw mouse input to no effect.

Agreed. Like people have said, at least it's better than previous DICE in-game browsers, but that's not an excuse for doing this instead. They needed to just up their game and put it in-game.

Has DICE actually said why they did not develop an ingame broswer for PC?

Jeez those graphics are terrible After playing BF3, everything looks like mincraft to me.

+1

One thing I noticed:

There are so many servers out, everyone is trying to populate. So many people "plugging" their servers in forums...heh.

"Yeah that's great you are going 12/0 on that server. Join mine and go 15/0!"

Not saying there isn't demand either. One second I saw an empty 0/32 server, 5 minutes later it was completely full. My guess is the "quick match" functionality.

+1

One thing I noticed:

There are so many servers out, everyone is trying to populate. So many people "plugging" their servers in forums...heh.

"Yeah that's great you are going 12/0 on that server. Join mine and go 15/0!"

Not saying there isn't demand either. One second I saw an empty 0/32 server, 5 minutes later it was completely full. My guess is the "quick match" functionality.

I couldn't agree more, my clan has been trying to get ours populated. First night of launch we joined, some randoms joined, we got the server going maxed with 64 players for about 2-3 hours. Then the server crashed and we couldn't get it going again.

Last night was the same thing. We got 8 clan members on played for about 30 minutes, and never got any pubbies. Then we just decided to join another server.

Anyone on the 285.62s getting strange graphical issues after alt-tabbing out and back into the game? Some of my textures get inverted and don't go away until the map changes or I manually exit and re-enter the game.

Anyone else getting somewhat frustrated with some parts of the single player campaign? It seems like you die in like 2-3 hits and a lot of the time you will get shot through cover, or there is insufficient cover unless you go prone and just sit there. Certain places I've been killed upwards of 10 times because of some random bullshit like being hit 3 times in the span of a split second.

At one point last night i was creating another server every 12 minutes because they kept filling up as i made them.

Anyone else getting somewhat frustrated with some parts of the single player campaign? It seems like you die in like 2-3 hits and a lot of the time you will get shot through cover, or there is insufficient cover unless you go prone and just sit there. Certain places I've been killed upwards of 10 times because of some random bullshit like being hit 3 times in the span of a split second.

There have been a couple of moments but most of my deaths have been the result of stupidity on my part.

I have noticed hiding behind solid cover (rocks, for instance) a couple times, that I was still getting shot. I think the most frustrating part so far was at the start of Guillotine, after emerging from the aquaduct and trying to assault uphill to the apartment. Limited cover and the baddies seemed to be really good shots!

Playing on Normal.

Anyone on the 285.62s getting strange graphical issues after alt-tabbing out and back into the game? Some of my textures get inverted and don't go away until the map changes or I manually exit and re-enter the game.

Not here, but I do get randomly 'Nvidia Driver Kernal errors' that crash the game and force me to reboot my computer (not BSODs though). :p Not sure which one is worse...

I'm running it at 2xMSAA on my Crossfired 6950's, no hitching at all. These are my specs. 11.10 Preview3 Drives (NO CAPs)

http://cloud.steampowered.com/ugc/648743808050838167/1A2EB8AFF2006BFC933EB9B90BE6A58B02CAC085/

What settings are you using? FPS? Stock or overclocked 6950s?

Is there a thread yet for BF3 settings and FPS?

Would like to know this too.

I'm getting like 10 fps at 3240x1920 lowest settings with a stock 920 and 3x6970's. Think it's a drive issue though, but I'm trying to figure out if I'll need my third card for this game or if I'll be good with two....

edit: NVM, saw the picture, thought it was eyefinity :(

Last edited:
There have been a couple of moments but most of my deaths have been the result of stupidity on my part.

I have noticed hiding behind solid cover (rocks, for instance) a couple times, that I was still getting shot. I think the most frustrating part so far was at the start of Guillotine, after emerging from the aquaduct and trying to assault uphill to the apartment. Limited cover and the baddies seemed to be really good shots!

Playing on Normal.

Yeah, Normal here as well. I could understand this on Hard but on Normal it really should not be this difficult.

And yeah, on the whole it's been fair but there are a few bits and pieces where it seems like you die way too easily and the checkpoint starts you way too far back.

I was having issues with a 360 controller connected, as soon as I disconnected it, my mouse input was smoother. A little bizarre. Shutting down chrome and accessing Battlelog from IE seemed to help performance, probably because Chrome was sucking RAM with all my tabs open.

Not here, but I do get randomly 'Nvidia Driver Kernal errors' that crash the game and force me to reboot my computer (not BSODs though). :p Not sure which one is worse...

How bizarre. Overclocked?

I've been bench- and game-stable and this bug happens on various clock speeds so I'm looking at the drivers now..

How bizarre. Overclocked?

I've been bench- and game-stable and this bug happens on various clock speeds so I'm looking at the drivers now..

Nope, 100% stock on my CPU and GPU's. The only thing I've changed is manually set both GTX 580 fan speeds to 85% so they run cooler.

What settings are you using? FPS? Stock or overclocked 6950s?

Is there a thread yet for BF3 settings and FPS?
60 FPS solid (since I have V-Sync on) @ 1920x1200. My settings are in the picture I linked. I have unlocked the extra shaders on my 6950's and have them running at 810/1250

Would like to know this too.

I'm getting like 10 fps at 3240x1920 lowest settings with a stock 920 and 3x6970's. Think it's a drive issue though, but I'm trying to figure out if I'll need my third card for this game or if I'll be good with two....
I haven't tested the game in Eyefinity yet (will try to play at 6048x1200) but I don't have high hopes for anything above low settings. Make sure you are running the 11.10 Preview3 drives WITHOUT CAP3. If you have CAP3 installed uninstall it, it's causing problems.

Oh god, turn off Deferred AA. You really only want 1 type of AA on at a time.
I think it looks good the way it is but I'll try it with just MSAA and see what it looks like.

Oh god, turn off Deferred AA. You really only want 1 type of AA on at a time.

No. The two types of AA affect different parts of the image. There is an earlier post in this thread linking to a post by a DICE dev saying that a combination of the two yields the best results. I use High Post + 2x MSAA and I get an amazing result.

Played about 3 hours or so last night, and all I can say is this game is bad ass. Blows everything else out of the water.

Mobile AA is overpowered. My advice is to stay away from it. If you want to take it out, circle around on the other side of the map and and wait for the tracers. Once you see where it is, dive to treeline, follow ridge lines and/or go behind mountains, then come up behind it from behind their base. A good burst from your guns, rocket pods, or firing an AGM will disable it or knock it out completely. If you do get behind them and surprise them, use your airbrakes (lower your throttle or use "D" key) to slow down and get more time on target.

As far as flares are concerned, ALWAYS WAIT TO FIRE THEM. You will hear the lock tone as a solid beep, then a differently pitched short beep will sound when the missile is near. When you hear that second tone, FIRE FLARES. If it is coming from the ground then do evasive maneuvers and head opposite direction. Dive to gain speed quicker or climb to get more altitude, either way increase the distance between you and the shooter quickly. This way your flares can recharge before they get a second shot off.

If you are dogfighting, I recommend using the airbrakes. Turning your throttle all the way down or holding the "D" key will turn them on temporarily. They help you turn tighter. Also, you can get a better view of the world by switching to the outside view with the "C" key. That way you can see enemies just outside the view of the cockpit AND STILL FLY. Switch to outside view while flying, spot the enemy, then switch to cockpit view to attack them. I like to do this while at altitude so I can see enemy jets, then attack them from above.

Last edited:
Mobile AA is overpowered. My advice is to stay away from it. If you want to take it out, circle around on the other side of the map and and wait for the tracers. Once you see where it is, dive to treeline, follow ridge lines and/or go behind mountains, then come up behind it from behind their base. A good burst from your guns, rocket pods, or firing an AGM will disable it or knock it out completely. If you do get behind them and surprise them, use your airbrakes (lower your throttle or use "D" key) to slow down and get more time on target.

As far as flares are concerned, ALWAYS WAIT TO FIRE THEM. You will hear the lock tone as a solid beep, then a differently pitched short beep will sound when the missile is near. When you hear that second tone, FIRE FLARES. If it is coming from the ground then do evasive maneuvers and head opposite direction. Dive to gain speed quicker or climb to get more altitude, either way increase the distance between you and the shooter quickly. This way your flares can recharge before they get a second shot off.

If you are dogfighting, I recommend using the airbrakes. Turning your throttle all the way down or holding the "D" key will turn them on temporarily. They help you turn tighter.

I don't have as much of an issue avoiding them when I'm in the air, it's when I'm taking off and the AA is hitting me from across the map that I start to get frustrated. BF2 had a limited range on the AA, it seems that they've increased that range exponentially in BF3.

Back