Battlefield 3 General Discussion Thread

My Phenom II X6 at 3.8ghz on Caspian.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y48/mprooi/phenomx6.png[IMG]

Think I need more ram.[/QUOTE]
Heh, yeah, I remember some BF1942 mods using 1.8-2.25GB back then. BF games seem to be heavy on the RAM.

I love that I can camp so far away that there is no Scope Reflection as I snipe at pilots before they take off.

Wow Caspian Border runs awesome! But is it me or are the textures worse in Caspian? Or is it just optimized better? By better I mean better than Metro. I get lower frames in a smaller map than I do in Caspian... with more players.

I am absolutely horrible with the jets. Also, I don't mind disabling of vehicles (although I think it shouldn't happen until you get under 25% or so) but on the jets/choppers its just dreadful. 42% health on my jet and it gets disabled, making it completely useless (not that I would have killed anyone, because I suck)

2) Ugh...it's just like BF1942 all over again. You get 5 people camping the plane spawn the entire round and doing nothing to support your team, and then when they finally get the plane they either fly around in circles doing nothing or immediately crash.

This happens for every vehicle in every BF game during the first few weeks. Eventually, like other posters have already stated, they get bored of waiting around or realize they suck at vehicles and just play the game. It's just the novelty factor right now.

3.8ghz X4 95-100% use on Caspian. Bottle necking a single 570. Time for Intel...

Does turning motion blur off help performance? How do I turn it off? When I switch to no in options, it turns it back on automatically.

IIRC you have to switch to no and also turn the blur level down to 0. im not too sure as im not at my home rig but i think thats it

My Phenom II X6 at 3.8ghz on Caspian.

phenomx6.png

Think I need more ram.

wowee, i'm surprised it has so many heavy threads.

what kind of cpu usage are sandy bridge people seeing at 4+ghz?

also cars are a lot of fun to drive, really fast and drifty.

bah, im getting some ridiculous lag on most servers right about now, not sure if it's because of some DL's on my network or what :\

there's a wooded area near the hill point on caspian and it looks fucking ridiculous.

all the trees jiggle as tank shells and shit pass by it :O

there's a wooded area near the hill point on caspian and it looks fucking ridiculous.

all the trees jiggle as tank shells and shit pass by it :O

Cool coincidence, I just got a cap of that area as I ran down into the gulley:

kwEwf.jpg

Yeah, I need a graphics upgrade. When that's stretched to 1920x1200 it's such so distorted I can't tell the difference between players and scenery from 10 metres away. Spent a full forty seconds running around that rock outcrop trying to find the sniper I could hear. :p

Just played a few rounds of Caspian, all my fears are at rest now. THIS is what BF is all about. A few bugs I hope get ironed out, like being unable to reverse any vehicles I'm in (remapped to Z) and my Saitek flight stick still makes my character spin uncontrollably just tlike it does in BC2 so I have no hope for that. Hopefully my Logitech Wingman works normally, have not tried it yet.

System wise the game is certainly taxing with 64 players. I highly doubt it'll get any better with the final version but it was still very much playable even on my aging Q6600. Good enough that I can live with until Ivy is released.

Is there anyone else that's getting a little sick and tired of the superfluous radio chatter? I realize that some of the radio announcements are in fact useful, however, I find most of it not so much. A lot of it in my opinion is bordering on or exceedingly asinine. Mostly the US frat boy-esque banter. It would be nice if there was an option to bring the radio chatter down to a minimum. This of course would be at the discretion of the individual, but I think this would make for a more serious and let's say, proper experience.

If I remember correctly, the early stages of BF2 were like that also, and then eventually people got tired of spending all round waiting for a plane and started actually playing the game*. I don't remember it being such a problem after a few months.

* Either that, or the plane/helicopter mafia got so good at hogging them all the time that people gave up. Remember when guys would fly to the edge of the map and hover with the gunner out of the area so he would get killed and the guy could fly solo in the helicopter? Good times (not really).

They took the fast shiny things away from us for a series, i completely expected a desert combat esque slap fight over the planes.

Just played a few rounds of Caspian, all my fears are at rest now. THIS is what BF is all about. A few bugs I hope get ironed out, like being unable to reverse any vehicles I'm in (remapped to Z) and my Saitek flight stick still makes my character spin uncontrollably just tlike it does in BC2 so I have no hope for that. Hopefully my Logitech Wingman works normally, have not tried it yet. .

It appears that by joystick, they mean Xbox 360 controller. I can't map roll on my Microsoft joystick, throttle is a button instead of an axis, and my joystick trigger doesn't map. So I guess I'll have to figure out the controller.

Do the choppers have the TV missile now, or is that an unlock?

Is there anyone else that's getting a little sick and tired of the superfluous radio chatter? I realize that some of the radio announcements are in fact useful, however, I find most of it not so much. A lot of it in my opinion is bordering on or exceedingly asinine. Mostly the US frat boy-esque banter. It would be nice if there was an option to bring the radio chatter down to a minimum. This of course would be at the discretion of the individual, but I think this would make for a more serious and let's say, proper experience.

Enemy soldier spotted!

huh? where? Other side of the map? behind me? wtf is this on my com channel!

Enemy soldier spotted!

huh? where? Other side of the map? behind me? wtf is this on my com channel!

Wait until cammo rose is implemented. Then you'll know what excess chatter is.

On another note:

I can't fly anything until I can unbind Roll from the mouse. It's impossible to turn or aim for me like that.
This is probably the main reason why people flip the helis.

So, Caspian...I feel like I have just been liberated from the console nazis. Everything is just so sharp and clear and awesome. It reminds me of the first time I loaded up the BF1942 wake island demo and said to myself "I gots to get myself a new PC." It is like Crysis and Battlefield 2 hooked up one night and a lovechild called BF3.

Now this is what im talking about Caspan Border REALLY looks damn good. AND it accually uses HT.....i think its the first game I have ever played to accually HT....interesting.

But yea smooth 60fps on that map....BRING ON RETAIL

Back