Battlefield 3 General Discussion Thread

It really shouldn't, sounds like you had a hardware glitch to me... And am I reading this right that you put your ram back in while the computer was on???

Lol, that's how it read, but I didn't put it in while it was on. Ah, that just gave me a good chuckle thinking about my phrasing! Thanks.

I meant slowly put it back in as in I turned off my computer, put a stick in, turned it on to make sure that it worked, then rinse and repeat!

New awesome update/fixes.

Fixed occasional client crash when reviving.
Fixed killcam showing glitched area under map if your killer is dead.
Issue with spawning on dead squad mates fixed.
Fixed a bug where shooting at a moving enemy could cause more than the intended amount of damage.
Crosshairs for shotguns have been replaced with a new, thinner, art.
A subtle low health screen effect has been added.
Tweaked scores of Medals and Service Stars.
Tweaked the Rank progression.
Pushing prone on console will not play the animation twice.
Fixed loss of Squad Leader after EOR at some times.
Framerate stability fixes.
The 3D spotting icons has been tweaked to better match the target’s visibility. Icons will show frequently less on mostly obscured targets.
Fixed issue with crosshair disappearing after round transition.
Fixed issue with crosshair disappearing after trying to deploy while the countdown timer still active.
Squad list now shows specializations chosen, VOIP activity and dead squad mates.
Non working options in squad menu fixed: “Private” flag and “Switch Teams”.

server side or client side?

I just played with the sniper class.. I love how you can run with out a scope. The MK11 with silencer = pure fun.. Plus no glint to give away position. :)

server side or client side?

It helps to see the message in context...

This blog post is the first in a series of posts that will outline some of the changes we are making in the final game thanks to your feedback and participation in the Open Beta.

Come back regularly and stay tuned to the Battlelog forums and the News section in Battlelog for daily news and updates from DICE on how your playing the Open Beta is helping us make the final game better.

A SELECTION OF CHANGES FROM OPEN BETA TO FINAL, PART 1
(Not a complete list - for up to date news, visit the News section in Battlelog)
* Fixed occasional client crash when reviving.

So I just got my first hands on time with this game today for a couple hours. I played the Assault class. My initial impressions are the following:

-Good god those flashlights are annoying. It seems like everyone is using them. They literally blind you.
-I honestly had a hard time enjoying myself. I know part of this is the fact that its beta and everyone is running around like idiots because they don't know the map except for the select few who have been playing non-stop. To have any success you have to find a nice spot and just camp while waiting for people to run by. I am sure as I get to know the map better I will have more success, but it's a campers game right now.
-A toggle crouch would be welcome, my pinky is tired already.
-Nobody spots in this game...yet.
-Nobody works as a team in this game...yet.
-Noob tubes are still an issue.
-Lots of bugs...but then again this is beta so that is fine.
-I do like how medi-packs automatically are tossed and you switch back to your main weapon after.
-I forgot how god damn frustrating it is when you are a Level 1 with no unlocks....it SUCKS!
-I don't like how you can't pick which squad you are in, it just randomly assigns you one, so the odds of you getting in the squad that is in constant shuffle due to people leaving/joining is quite high.

Last edited:
-Good god those flashlights are annoying. It seems like everyone is using them. They literally blind you.

i agree with you whole-heatedly on these points.

this has been hit or miss for me. most games i can't get resupplied with ammo/health to save my life, and the entire team is just camping in bushes. but i've had a few rare gems where my teammates were working together and it was a lot of fun. it seems on this map most of the teamwork comes out once you get into the tunnels. the first section is just a free-for-all madhouse.

Anyone have any idea why it's running interlaced on my PC? It's running at 1080i instead of 1080p and looks pretty terrible due to this. I've tried 11.9 and 11.10 drivers. No change.

The first section is hard to work as a team; cover is key to not getting mowed down, and most of the cover is only good for 1-2 people. In fact, I try to give teammates a bit of space to not draw as much attention to a large group of people.

I did have the pleasure of playing on one really good team for about 2-3 maps...it was amazing, so much fun. Getting hurt and automatically having a first aid pack near you without even having to look around = win.

Man I really wish there were hardcore servers. The default health is just ridiculous. Coming from RO2 it's totally laughable how much damage people can take in this game. In RO2 if I get the drop on three or four guys I have a good chance of killing all of them as I should, but it's pretty much impossible in this unless the enemies are absolutely terrible. In this, while I'm working on draining the health of one bullet sponge the others have zeroed in and annihilated me, while in RO2 with good aim I can pop four guys in the span of a second or two and be on my merry way.

So I just got my first hands on time with this game today for a couple hours. I played the Assault class. My initial impressions are the following:

-I honestly had a hard time enjoying myself. I know part of this is the fact that its beta and everyone is running around like idiots because they don't know the map except for the select few who have been playing non-stop. To have any success you have to find a nice spot and just camp while waiting for people to run by. I am sure as I get to know the map better I will have more success, but it's a campers game right now.
-A toggle crouch would be welcome, my pinky is tired already.
-Noob tubes are still an issue.
-Lots of bugs...but then again this is beta so that is fine.
-I do like how medi-packs automatically are tossed and you switch back to your main weapon after.
-I forgot how god damn frustrating it is when you are a Level 1 with no unlocks....it SUCKS!
-I don't like how you can't pick which squad you are in, it just randomly assigns you one, so the odds of you getting in the squad that is in constant shuffle due to people leaving/joining is quite high.

I'm not going to address your other notes as it's all stuff people have already pointed out. You'll have to wait until real servers are available to get decent games with good teams.

BUT. Look in the key bindings man. One of the listings is for crouch toggle. Just change the key.

Man I really wish there were hardcore servers. The default health is just ridiculous. Coming from RO2 it's totally laughable how much damage people can take in this game. In RO2 if I get the drop on three or four guys I have a good chance of killing all of them as I should, but it's pretty much impossible in this unless the enemies are absolutely terrible. In this, while I'm working on draining the health of one bullet sponge the others have zeroed in and annihilated me, while in RO2 with good aim I can pop four guys in the span of a second or two and be on my merry way.

It only takes 3-4 hits to drop someone, not exactly what i would call a "Bullet Sponge". :confused:

This is one of my complaints as well. But I don't see it really changing for retail. In Alpha I felt damage was a lot more balanced. Now it's a fucking crap-shoot. It seems inconsistent so maybe it's a problem with the coding.

I've gotten triple kills on multiple occasions already. It really only takes a couple shots. I've done it with the Glock actually.

And I'm completely addicted to this game. I never played any of the Battlefield games before. I wish it was release so I didn't have to unlock everything again.

yeah I got a few doubles with the M9 even

seems like alot of people dont understand the difference between glitch/bug and LAG too

Not much focus on this these days (instead it is on graphics), but the sound in this game is a step up from others. Actually more so than the graphics even (although the graphics settings are not fully unlocked).

Not much focus on this these days (instead it is on graphics), but the sound in this game is a step up from others. Actually more so than the graphics even (although the graphics settings are not fully unlocked).

Though that might be, compared to BC2, there seem to be a lot less ambient sounds. And from the menus, it seems like they still haven't fixed the volume issue that plagued BC2's campaign.

I was able to turn off bloom and motion blur..

How!? I don't remember seeing it in the settings. And at the time it seemed like something was fishy with motion blur. You would set it to Off but it would stick to On. I don't know if setting the value to 0 really did anything.

But Bloom is my main concern. If you know how to change that I would appreciate it. Thanks.

I know this a dumb question but im in the middle of bfe atm. When does the beta end?

It only takes 3-4 hits to drop someone, not exactly what i would call a "Bullet Sponge". :confused:

This is one of my complaints as well. But I don't see it really changing for retail. In Alpha I felt damage was a lot more balanced. Now it's a fucking crap-shoot. It seems inconsistent so maybe it's a problem with the coding.

This is my problem really. Sometimes people do seem to go down fast, but sometimes I've had it take an entire clip. I always aim for the chest/head and it's crazy how much it varies.

Anyway, I've solved the issue by switching from the M16 to either sniper rifle with the scope removed. They're deadly as hell and I never have any problems with a guy not dropping now. Two to three shots drops them everytime, just have to be extremely accurate which isn't a problem for me.

Also, I cannot emphasize enough how useful the mobile spawn point is. I hadn't played as the Recon class until just recently because I'm not much for sniping, but with the scope removed and making good use of the mobile spawn point I'm pretty much always number one on the server now.

Is V-Sync broken?
I cant even force it in catalyst center, the flashing lights are driving me crazy

Anyone else having issues with Origin? The first time I installed it, it took something like 2 minutes to start up. I even forgot I had started it and went on browsing... then 2 minutes later it popped up. It's now not even starting. It's in my task manager though.

EDIT: It finally started...but now when I launch the game it just brings me to a page with 404 error >___>. Not a great first impression of Origin.

This is my problem really. Sometimes people do seem to go down fast, but sometimes I've had it take an entire clip. I always aim for the chest/head and it's crazy how much it varies.

Anyway, I've solved the issue by switching from the M16 to either sniper rifle with the scope removed. They're deadly as hell and I never have any problems with a guy not dropping now. Two to three shots drops them every time, just have to be extremely accurate which isn't a problem for me.

Also, I cannot emphasize enough how useful the mobile spawn point is. I hadn't played as the Recon class until just recently because I'm not much for sniping, but with the scope removed and making good use of the mobile spawn point I'm pretty much always number one on the server now.

I guess it could be part lag. Will know for sure once some good servers are out there.

Also I think the mobile spawnpoint will be nerfed, hard. Last I checked on rush I could plan one behind enemy lines and spawn behind them.

I also used it (didn't plan just spawned on) a few times on Caspian Border and most of the time I would parachute in... which sucked because controlling the parachute is not easy. So I wonder what makes the determination of spawn on ground or in the air.

Also I think the mobile spawnpoint will be nerfed, hard. Last I checked on rush I could plan one behind enemy lines and spawn behind them.

Heh, I've never tried that. I usually put it about 70% of the way to the objective. Close enough that it's only a quick run to plant, but far enough that the enemy isn't seeing us right as we spawn.

Now I know why I've seen enemies spawning behind me a lot.

How!? I don't remember seeing it in the settings. And at the time it seemed like something was fishy with motion blur. You would set it to Off but it would stick to On. I don't know if setting the value to 0 really did anything.

But Bloom is my main concern. If you know how to change that I would appreciate it. Thanks.

I just set bloom to 0 and it went away, and I was thinking of ambient occlusion, not bloom.

You can change your Origin name AFAIK (as long as it's not taken)

Also, I'm MavericK99966 if you want to add me or whatever. I can usually use classes pretty effectively. :D

please tell me how to do this..I so want my Original name..its linked to my EA account but cant be apply'd to my Origin account..GHEY

I wanna play as Col_Hogan...been that way since BF1942.

Man, I hated everything about this except beta Battlelog. lol.

I think I died 10 times because you can't change settings while dead or not delpoyed.

Man, I hated everything about this except beta Battlelog. lol.

I think I died 10 times because you can't change settings while dead or not delpoyed.

No kidding... I had to hide somewhere to change my settings. I hope the release game has an actual main menu and maybe (probably not) a small benchmark.

still sucks that my old EA account name got changed to my origin name, and theres no real way to change it. even worse is that i cant start a new account with the name i want because of their overly protective naming filter. just because nut comes up in part of a name doesnt mean its a bad word/phrase.

No kidding... I had to hide somewhere to change my settings. I hope the release game has an actual main menu and maybe (probably not) a small benchmark.

I'm sure the release version won't have that requirement - it's just a limitation based on only allowing multiplayer, I'd guess.

Are they going to add any more maps to the beta? Or make caspian playable to everyone? I'm going to get sick of Metro even tho it may be a great map.

still sucks that my old EA account name got changed to my origin name, and theres no real way to change it. even worse is that i cant start a new account with the name i want because of their overly protective naming filter. just because nut comes up in part of a name doesnt mean its a bad word/phrase.

That's odd... I use the same name here "CaptNumbNutz" as I do in Origin and other Battlefield games. They have never had a problem with it, and it too has "nut" in it. If it is the name filter, then it could be that some other flagged word is created when you spell out your entire nickname.

You might try to log into your EA account and locate your other soldier names from previous battlefield games and set that soldier name as your default profile.

Back