Battlefield 3 General Discussion Thread

WarriorX

2[H]4U
That's another tip. If you are capturing the flag, watch the countdown circle - if it stops moving, that means an enemy has entered the area, so at least you know to start watching out for him. Surprising how often you can sneak up on guys capping flags when there is a "bad guy nearby" indicator right in the middle of the screen.

Or if its going the opposite way it means you are outnumbered and should get the fuck out. :p

Last edited:

Forceman

[H]F Junkie
Or if its going to opposite way it means you are outnumbered and should get the fuck out. :p

Shhh. Don't give away all the good tips. :)

I've been doing some misdirection lately when trying to cap flags. As I run up I'll throw a grenade off to the side, and I swear about half the time the guy defending the flag will either get up and run from his cover spot to find a new one, or go over to investigate the area around the grenade. Before I always tried to sneak up, but I've found the grenade trick to work better than trying to find a guy hiding somewhere.

Inu

[H]ard|Gawd
The lack of ingame VOIP is really killing this for me, there is no team work or communication on a lot of the servers (Both Rush and Conquest). Just a bunch of headless chickens running around with no rhyme or reason.

I found myself barely playing after a week because of this. After coming from TF2 and well just about every other FPS out there, its a hard move, especially when you tend to be a vocal person.

TheOneKnownAsMe

[H]ard|Gawd
Shhh. Don't give away all the good tips. :)

I've been doing some misdirection lately when trying to cap flags. As I run up I'll throw a grenade off to the side, and I swear about half the time the guy defending the flag will either get up and run from his cover spot to find a new one, or go over to investigate the area around the grenade. Before I always tried to sneak up, but I've found the grenade trick to work better than trying to find a guy hiding somewhere.

I do this a lot. Approach flag, throw grenade on one side of cover, wait for the guy to run out from behind on the opposite side, shoot.

Sly

Supreme [H]ardness
I notice while using the tanks that the proximity sensor works regardless of which seat i'm in. Very handy when you're the gunner and need to guard for rushing C4 guys.

Does the same apply for the other perks? Would be nice if i can contribute reactive armor while i'm scanning for enemies in the third seat.

Vega

Supreme [H]ardness
Anyone else notice on Wake Island a lot of the time when you go to a full health jeep and you get in it starts on fire? WTF is that all about?

Raxor

Weaksauce
Usually that is when the cp changes from one side to the other (all the vehicles blow up and respawn)

Forceman

[H]F Junkie
I notice while using the tanks that the proximity sensor works regardless of which seat i'm in. Very handy when you're the gunner and need to guard for rushing C4 guys.

Does the same apply for the other perks? Would be nice if i can contribute reactive armor while i'm scanning for enemies in the third seat.

I'm curious which perks work from the gunner seat also. I know things like guided shells won't, but what about autoloader or maintenance?

Also, I got my second tank star last night, and then I couldn't get in the CITV station any longer. Anyone else seen that? I'm wondering if it was a one-off thing, or some kind of game bug. I didn't play any other vehicle maps after that, so I couldn't test it again.

Sixthsense

I Suck Fat Ones
I wasn't aware that a MAV doubles as a motion detector (as long as you have it out and not using it). If that's the case what is the purpose of TUGZ?

castun

2[H]4U
If I'm in a flag zone and the counter starts going the other way, I usually just hang tight hiding somewhere, simply because once the flag is recaptured, they usually just run off to the next flag without realizing anyone else was there.

I wasn't aware that a MAV doubles as a motion detector (as long as you have it out and not using it). If that's the case what is the purpose of TUGZ?

The TUGZ is smaller and easier to hide, but that's really about it. I don't think the MAV beeps though, so if you're not looking at the minimap you could still get surprised, but it could also keep the enemies from knowing they're being tracked.

darkhorse

Gawd
If I'm in a flag zone and the counter starts going the other way, I usually just hang tight hiding somewhere, simply because once the flag is recaptured, they usually just run off to the next flag without realizing anyone else was there.

The TUGZ is smaller and easier to hide, but that's really about it. I don't think the MAV beeps though, so if you're not looking at the minimap you could still get surprised, but it could also keep the enemies from knowing they're being tracked.

But with the MAV you can fly up to inaccessible areas and park it there so it's harder for the enemy to destroy, that's what I've been doing since I realized it works like TUGZ when parked.

MavericK

Zero Cool
Anyone else think the EOD bot is just downright worthless?

It seems more silly and fun than anything, but in Rush if no one is paying close attention you could probably use it to arm MCOMs fairly easily.

WarriorX

2[H]4U

I'm curious which perks work from the gunner seat also. I know things like guided shells won't, but what about autoloader or maintenance?

Also, I got my second tank star last night, and then I couldn't get in the CITV station any longer. Anyone else seen that? I'm wondering if it was a one-off thing, or some kind of game bug. I didn't play any other vehicle maps after that, so I couldn't test it again.

I think it says in the in game description if the perk works. Atleast for some it does. Stealth, maintenance, and prox sensor I think do. I use prox sensor on pretty much every land vehicle(use to use reactive armor). Love driving into a point, and see some sneaky AT/support trying to flank me. What I would give to see the look on their face when they see the main turret gun facing them. :D

Inu

[H]ard|Gawd
It seems more silly and fun than anything, but in Rush if no one is paying close attention you could probably use it to arm MCOMs fairly easily.

If you've ever seen a batallion of 32 of these things going after one mcom, its quite funny.

castun

2[H]4U
What I would give to see the look on their face when they see the main turret gun facing them. :D

Using the prox sensors, I like it when I see a little red blip running up behind my tank, and I wait until just the right time to floor it in reverse and *SQUISH*.

RangerXML

Supreme [H]ardness
COD Elite gets its iOS app tomorrow, when will I get my BF3 app for iOS or Android?

Forceman

[H]F Junkie
I think it says in the in game description if the perk works. Atleast for some it does. Stealth, maintenance, and prox sensor I think do. I use prox sensor on pretty much every land vehicle(use to use reactive armor). Love driving into a point, and see some sneaky AT/support trying to flank me. What I would give to see the look on their face when they see the main turret gun facing them. :D

I wish you could have both prox sensor and autoloader. I really like prox (although the range is kind of short) but autoloader makes such a huge difference in a tank on tank battle that it's hard to pass up. Autoloader and canister, and you can really throw some firepower down on a flag.

NickM

Gawd
Pffft-guided shells and a third person are where it's at.
Me and a buddy were owning Firestorm the other night-no chopper was safe, and the tanks couldn't hardly get a shot off before they were disabled.
Had the op team bottled up pretty tight in their spawn.

Sly

Supreme [H]ardness

More compact, easier to deploy and less noticeable. Useful in close quarters where you want to keep moving. Like say, checking if there are people in the building before going inside.

Hazakins

Weaksauce
I wouldn't mind a android app. Keep a check on my fellow clan members. Make sure they are not to far ahead or when they are in game so I could hop on and play.

fochkoph

[H]ard|Gawd

I'd say it's pretty useless because it almost always gets spotted. And when that happens everyone is like..."EOD bot, kill it with fire!" But! It is really annoying when it gets to sneak by and randomly arms MCOMs when the entire defending team is off doing something else.

syncore

Limp Gawd
Not sure how many of you with AMD cards have been using this guy's unofficial beta drivers, but I've found that the 8.95 beta Jan 3rd drivers posted here combined with an installation of the 11.12 CAP2 posted here provide excellent performance in BF3 at least on a 6990 in Eyefinity. YMMV, but these last few weekly beta driver sets have been so much better than the crappy official ATI stuff. I know most of you probably will not install stuff unless it comes from amd.com once a month, but these might be worth a try, especially if you play at higher resolutions

Forceman

[H]F Junkie
I just played a sweet game of 1 v 0 Rush on there. Managed to take all the mcoms.... :)

I'll be on a little later tonight and see if anyone is on.

Sweet round. Did you get MVP 1 also?

I think that's how I ended up completing that MCOM assignment - which again speaks volumes to the quality of the "assignments".

johnj189

Gawd

I've used it to arm maybe 6 M-COM stations. People don't really look for EOD bots. If it was easier to control I'd use it more often, but it's really awkward.

Sly

Supreme [H]ardness
I've used it to arm maybe 6 M-COM stations. People don't really look for EOD bots. If it was easier to control I'd use it more often, but it's really awkward.

Anybody up for a 32v32 robot game? Curious what it would be like with only MAV's and EOD's in rush.

OFaceSIG

2[H]4U
Hate to be a Debby downer but is anyone else still getting the connection to server timed out error? I get it CONSTANTLY. It's really a buzzkill. I've done the uPnP disable on my router and PC, disabled SSDP on my PC. Still no go. I've opened all the official ports listed for the game on my FiOS router. I just really don't know what to do anymore. :( I LOVE this game but it hates me in return.

WarriorX

2[H]4U
Hate to be a Debby downer but is anyone else still getting the connection to server timed out error? I get it CONSTANTLY. It's really a buzzkill. I've done the uPnP disable on my router and PC, disabled SSDP on my PC. Still no go. I've opened all the official ports listed for the game on my FiOS router. I just really don't know what to do anymore. :( I LOVE this game but it hates me in return.

Happens to me once in a while. From zero to once a week. I do crash a lot on outdoor maps while flying jets. Just when I think I fixed it happens again lol.