Battlefield 3 flying practice and joystick configuration server

Awesome, going to try it out tonight!

Anyone know if a Logitech Rumblepad 2 will work with this game? Want to try flying with it.

Yeah the server has been crashing quite a bit. But NFO is on it. They are up to Rev 6 on the server files now. Guess the game is having quite a few server side issues. I'm glad I can help some people out here with the server.

As far as the practicing goes, when the server fills up i know it gets kinda crazy in there. If there are over 10 people in there it's kinda hard to do any practicing. So I guess when it fills up you might not want to try practicing in there. I hate to put a player limit on a 64 man server. I'll probably leave the server settings modded until the middle of November and then I'm going to set it back to stock so we can get back on the match making. So get your flying in while you can. But if I'm online (battlelog angrychisel) and someone is griefing the server message me and i'll take care of it. Sometimes I'm in a game or something though but usually if i'm online I have procon up and I'll take care of the trouble maker.

Cool. Thanks Antimatter. Should be plenty of room for flying with 2 servers doing it.

I've been using the 360 controller and am very happy with it for jet flying. Though I was up against a dude using a stick and pedals the other day and got my ass handed to me.

Last edited:
I've been using the 360 controller and am very happy with it for jey flying. Though I was up against a dude using a stick and pedals the other day and got my ass handed to me.

Does the Joystick really make that much of difference? btw, how do you change the xbox controller sensitivity when flying a jet?

Does the Joystick really make that much of difference? btw, how do you change the xbox controller sensitivity when flying a jet?

Well, the guy had a full flight stick layout. Stick, throttle and pedals, so yeah...

And I don't think you can change the sensitivity for the sticks... Maybe it's tied to the mouse sensitivity? No idea... I just got use to the defaults with the pad.

Well, the guy had a full flight stick layout. Stick, throttle and pedals, so yeah...

And I don't think you can change the sensitivity for the sticks... Maybe it's tied to the mouse sensitivity? No idea... I just got use to the defaults with the pad.

True. That sucks that we can't change the sensitivity when flying. :( Also the mouse buttons can't be mapped. Is anyone having this issue as well?

Yeah this is a big value I need to make myself practice on these servers.

Is anyone else having issues just simply binding keys with older joysticks? I have a Logitech Wingman Extreme Digital 3D and for some reason can't seem to get the Helicopter config section to recognize my Y-Axis properly... although it DOES pick it up alright for Jets.

When I try to bind "nose down" or whatever, and push forward (without pressing any buttons mind you), it will assign it to something like "button 9." Do the same thing under the jet config section however, and it picks it up as "Y-Axis" just like it should. I'm still scratching my head after that one... sooo weird.

That was an issue during Beta. I've re-mapped mouse buttons in the full version.

I'm using Logitech G9x with software installed and it doesnt let me map any of my mouse buttons. So the bug is still there. I'll try to re-install the software and see if that would work.

Last edited:
I'm pretty solid at choppers. Pretty poor at jets with KB/M. I always get out turned.

I have the same mouse and I maped the 2 thumb buttons to reload and melee. I had issues at first but I figured out that you first need to clear the keystroke out of the melee and reload section for keyboard and then you can go and click in the mouse coloum and bind the button you want. So there should be no key mapped in the keyboard section for that action or else it wont work.

I'm using Logitech G9x with software installed and it doesnt let me map any of my mouse buttons. So the bug is still there. I'll try to re-install the software and see if that would.

So, this may be a dumb question...

How do you check your six in a jet? I want to see what's tailing me so I know if it's ground troops locking on me (in which case I fly as fast as I can away and around a mountain) or if it's another jet (in which case I do some evasive maneuvers)

So far I've only been able to get the third person view of the jet, but I need to see behind me

another awesome server for flight practice is called "Fat and Useless"; jets and choppers (actually, all vehicles) have instant respawn.

I have the same mouse and I maped the 2 thumb buttons to reload and melee. I had issues at first but I figured out that you first need to clear the keystroke out of the melee and reload section for keyboard and then you can go and click in the mouse coloum and bind the button you want. So there should be no key mapped in the keyboard section for that action or else it wont work.

Cool. I'll try this later. Thanks!

This game has to have a camera option for jets to look behind... it has to... that's like forgetting to put powder in a bullet

I know there are free look controls in the joystick column for jets. Unfortunately, even though they mapped correctly to my thumb pivot button, it doesn't work in-game. :(

By the way, every time I go in there's some douchebag flying in a jet with full unlocks raping everyone instead of letting people learn. How are you supposed to practice when these cocksuckers are flying with air radar and are basically unstoppable?

Server just hard crashed... plenty of 20+ people in here raping newbs, lots of fun :-\

By the way, every time I go in there's some douchebag flying in a jet with full unlocks raping everyone instead of letting people learn. How are you supposed to practice when these cocksuckers are flying with air radar and are basically unstoppable?

Belt Speed upgrade = instant rape. It only takes a good lucky shot to take down a jet. Air radar is almost useless, because you sacrifice a lot of damage to use it. The other big downside to air radar, is that it's not really air radar, it displays tanks and other spotted vehicles on there, making it very very crowded at times (which is bad in a dogfight).

I really wish the high level upgrades meant anything. All you need is flares and belt speed upgrade tbh. Rockets are nice if you aren't getting raped by AA.

For all of those having mapping issues, check this out... It seems to have helped some. (I've yet to try).

http://www.overclock.net/pc-games/1151826-i-fixed-bf3-joystick-issues-heres.html

But, similar to some of you. I also have issues mapping axis to jets/helicopters. Or, even the tank if you want to use an axis as gas/brake. (Ala halo tank, push forward on stick to move forward)

Thanks for that. I went through the whole process but still have one major issue that is simply baffling...

Somehow, there is one axis that is fucked for both jets and choppers. For jets, I can't correctly map to "roll left & right" and for choppers I can't correctly map to "pitch up & down." It is just those two things, everything else I can map correctly and it works in-game.

Does anyone know if there's a way to manually map an axis in a config file or anything? All I really need to do is get my X-Axis working for jets and Y-Axis for choppers, and I'd be set. So frustrating!

So do the helis act about the same as in BFBC2? I could never get the hang of them using M/KB. I think it was the same for a lot of other players....

Are jets easier to control than helis? It seems logical that they would....

Thanks for that. I went through the whole process but still have one major issue that is simply baffling...

Somehow, there is one axis that is fucked for both jets and choppers. For jets, I can't correctly map to "roll left & right" and for choppers I can't correctly map to "pitch up & down." It is just those two things, everything else I can map correctly and it works in-game.

Does anyone know if there's a way to manually map an axis in a config file or anything? All I really need to do is get my X-Axis working for jets and Y-Axis for choppers, and I'd be set. So frustrating!

Unfortunately, no manual way that I've seen. I have the same issue with the twist rudder on my Saitek X52 & the throttle axis. I gave up on using it and went back to my 360 controller. It works well enough, but yaw is a pain.

Last edited:
Thanks for running this server, $trider. Definitely need some practice with choppers.

"Get to tha CHOPPA!"

So do the helis act about the same as in BFBC2? I could never get the hang of them using M/KB. I think it was the same for a lot of other players....

Are jets easier to control than helis? It seems logical that they would....

to me the helicopters fly just like they did in BC2. i also couldn't get the hang of them with M/KB but i think you and i are in the minority on that one. jets are indeed easier to fly than the choppers.

jumped on the server today, but it's definitely not a practice server unless you're in there by yourself or with some cool people. couldn't even take off without getting spawn camped to shit by someone who knows how to already fly a helicopter.

Yeah, it was impossible without an admin. Specially the random idiots.

unfortunately, even the admin stated that if people were populated within the server, he's not going to stop himself from killing us. so i guess even the admin is on board with the spawn camping shit. he was in there a second ago.

if you ask me, this thread title is deceiving.

I love this server because hardly anybody is in it. 4 v 4 we all spend a lot of time fighting over flag caps. and OMFG flag caps GETS YOU POINTS! LIKE A LOT! On Khargan the other night I got like 4 vehicle unlocks for my AA in one round just by capping flags while in the vehicle.

just depends on the time of day. I have practiced in there a fair bit, but there are times where it seems people are showing off.

I know there are free look controls in the joystick column for jets. Unfortunately, even though they mapped correctly to my thumb pivot button, it doesn't work in-game. :(

You have to press and hold the button that activates freelook. I don't remember what the default is since I mapped it to one of my joystick buttons. I have it set to my pinky joystick button, and when I hold it down, I use my hat switch (mapped to freelook directions) to look around.

I tried to "practice" here, but its no use. Just look for other practice servers guys, this one is a bust. Search for practice, flying, vehicle, learn, etc in battlelog

I had some real good practice the other day on Antimatter's server. Nobody was on there except me. I suck so bad with the jets, I focused on choppers and practiced flying to and around the capture points and capturing them without landing(which is still tough for me)

I had some real good practice the other day on Antimatter's server. Nobody was on there except me. I suck so bad with the jets, I focused on choppers and practiced flying to and around the capture points and capturing them without landing(which is still tough for me)

For practice, this is good. In an actual game, this is the most surefire way to get sniped out of the cockpit or shot by a tank.

Spoken like the Red Barron himself. MAN THE #$%^ UP. You better shape up tiger or some hot shot pilot is going to flame your sorry ass!

Also, I suggest you consult this educational video for inspiration on how to behave LIKE A MAN while flying a fighter plane.

Back