Battlefield 3 @ 2560X1600 on a 7970 performance question...

hdgamer

Gawd
How is the performance on one card? Is it playable with medium, high, or ultra settings with the card overclocked? Just got into this game and can't run it for crap with my 4870.... :mad:

playable on ultra @ that resolution.

I left crossfire off by accident and loaded up BF3, which I run @ 3600x1920 mix of ultra-high (except shadows and HBAO using SSAO instead) and didn't even notice until I hit some heavy explosions that I was running a single card :|

pretttty crazy.

I run it on ultra with FXAA High, no MSAA, and rarely see it dip below 40. Usually it's 50-60+.

That's overclocked to 1075 on the core.

How is the performance on one card? Is it playable with medium, high, or ultra settings with the card overclocked? Just got into this game and can't run it for crap with my 4870.... :mad:

depends on your definition of playable, for multiplayer. Some people don't like dips to the 29fps, or low 30s, or mid 30s, or high 30s etc. Even though, these drops are not like all the time. The average is higher. Like I said, it depends on your definition of playable.

If I was playing on a 30 I'd go for 2 or a Flex edition 6GB whenever they come out. Battlefield can just about fully use that 3gb of vram fully maxed out on 1080-1200p

If I was playing on a 30 I'd go for 2 or a Flex edition 6GB whenever they come out. Battlefield can just about fully use that 3gb of vram fully maxed out on 1080-1200p

Only if you have 4xMSAA enabled. I've only seen it hit 2GB or so with FXAA on high.

Personally, MSAA is not worth the hit in frame rate, multiplayer is too fast paced for me to be scoping out jaggies. Certainly, I can see the difference in IQ in screenshots but in motion there's a negligible difference.

its fine but you are going to get slow downs at ultra, single player and definitely multiplayer. In 64 man maps it can get into the 30s at times.

I play BF3 on ultra everything with 4xAA and use about 1600mb according to MSI afterburner. I dont know how people claim such high usage. My GTX 580 before was using about 1400mb

On the launch maps the VRAM usage stays around 1600-1650MB but on Karkand and Gulf of Oman I've hit over 2GB and this is at 1920x1080.

Back