Battlefield 2142 is Back

Ah, the memories...

Jumping out of a Titan after it explodes, have 3 different squad leaders shouting at you for supplies at the same time as commander, shooting the underside grate of a Walker...

This is easily the best Battlefield game ever made.

seriously. This game achieved damn-near perfect balance between foot soldiers, armour, mechs and air vehicles. I could write an entire BOOK on how the balance of this game is lightyears ahead of anything else for massive battles.

downloading now! 11m download and its ready to go for me, to bad I'm reinstalling windows onto my new ssd tonight so probably wont get much play time :(

Can't see it at work and I never played 2142, but I did play BF2 and loved the shit out of that for a full year. 2142 is pretty much BF2 in a futuristic setting and with some extra gameplay modes. This seems like my chance to rediscover it.

Can't see it at work and I never played 2142, but I did play BF2 and loved the shit out of that for a full year. 2142 is pretty much BF2 in a futuristic setting and with some extra gameplay modes. This seems like my chance to rediscover it.

It did some things very different from BF2, even though it was technically a glorified mod of the BF2 game engine. They also combined the attack chopper with the fighter jets, while still requiring pilot and gunner to take full advantage of the vehicle. Titan mode was also extremely well done and offered a new game dynamic which they still haven't been able to replicate properly.

What it did right was shrinking the number of player classes from 6 to 4 and balancing them in a much better fashion. Certain classes could rarely be found playing alongside you in BF1942 and BF2 such as Medic and Engineer. But make an Assault a Medic and Engineer an Anti-Tank guy, and you give people an incentive to start healing/repairing and helping the team more.

DICE tried tweaking the classes again for the Bad Company series by swapping the Assault and Support classes and found that people again reverted to not playing the Medic class as much when the Assault class was a one man army with grenade spam. They ended up reverting it right back to BF2142's version for BF3 and BF4. They have now tweaked them again for BF1, so we will see how that works out.

It did some things very different from BF2, even though it was technically a glorified mod of the BF2 game engine. They also combined the attack chopper with the fighter jets, while still requiring pilot and gunner to take full advantage of the vehicle. Titan mode was also extremely well done and offered a new game dynamic which they still haven't been able to replicate properly.

What it did right was shrinking the number of player classes from 6 to 4 and balancing them in a much better fashion. Certain classes could rarely be found playing alongside you in BF1942 and BF2 such as Medic and Engineer. But make an Assault a Medic and Engineer an Anti-Tank guy, and you give people an incentive to start healing/repairing and helping the team more.

DICE tried tweaking the classes again for the Bad Company series by swapping the Assault and Support classes and found that people again reverted to not playing the Medic class as much when the Assault class was a one man army with grenade spam. They ended up reverting it right back to BF2142's version for BF3 and BF4. They have now tweaked them again for BF1, so we will see how that works out.

Thanks for elaborating.

Sooo... where dafuq can I buy/get this game now? It's not on Steam and Origin with no results. I see physical copies on Amazon, but I'd rather get it digitally somehow if I can.

Edit: D'oh, nm, hah.. I see the download link in the article now. I shall check it now tonight. :D

Edit 2: Holy balls, they revived BF2 as well, think I'll try that out first since that's where all my nostalgia is at, hah.

Yeah I was the same, loved BF2 to bits but never really got into 2142. Seemed more 2042 to me.

Ugh, I got BF2 installed and running, but Punkbuster is fucking everything up. At first it would immediately kick me from any server saying "pnkbstra.exe" couldn't communicate or something. So I searched that and found a page that pointed to this Youtube video. Since that video is specifically for BF4, the directory referenced in the vid doesn't exist in the BF2 program files. There was a "pb" folder though, which didn't have that punkbuster installer like he shows in that video. So I followed the link in his description to download the PB client. Installed the PB service and configured it in the firewall as described in that video and now I can join a server and play... for about 1 minute and then I get kicked again for by PB for "No Packet Flow" :mad:.

I somehow forgot about how unstable these games were. I googled the packet flow error and found this thread, but disabling IPv6 and making that PB config file didn't work. Fuggin horse shiat..

Edit: Finally got it to work with this PB installer. Just played for about 5 hours straight. :D

Last edited:
Yeah I was the same, loved BF2 to bits but never really got into 2142. Seemed more 2042 to me.

Well, not to nitpick but 2042 is ~ 20 years away. 20 years ago we looked pretty much identical from a cultural standpoint, only we have more iPhones and Google is huge. We aren't going to have pew pew lazer rifles, hovertanks, armoured deathwalkers and hovercarriers in 20 years....

Ugh, I got BF2 installed and running, but Punkbuster is fucking everything up. At first it would immediately kick me from any server saying "pnkbstra.exe" couldn't communicate or something. So I searched that and found a page that pointed to this Youtube video. Since that video is specifically for BF4, the directory referenced in the vid doesn't exist in the BF2 program files. There was a "pb" folder though, which didn't have that punkbuster installer like he shows in that video. So I followed the link in his description to download the PB client. Installed the PB service and configured it in the firewall as described in that video and now I can join a server and play... for about 1 minute and then I get kicked again for by PB for "No Packet Flow" :mad:.

I somehow forgot about how unstable these games were. I googled the packet flow error and found this thread, but disabling IPv6 and making that PB config file didn't work. Fuggin horse shiat..

Edit: Finally got it to work with this PB installer. Just played for about 5 hours straight. :D

I installed my copy BF2 a few months ago and then slapped on the final update. It all worked fine. Though that was on my older Windows 7 build rather then my new Windows 10 rig.

Are the multiplayer servers back up or is it just single player versus the 16 bots?

I installed my copy BF2 a few months ago and then slapped on the final update. It all worked fine. Though that was on my older Windows 7 build rather then my new Windows 10 rig.

Are the multiplayer servers back up or is it just single player versus the 16 bots?

I saw that I still had an old BF2 install on my game drive too when I went to install it, but opted to just do a clean install of the game still since I thought the original game would be an old version or wouldn't be compatible with the new servers or something. I'm wasn't sure if this Revive version modified the game files some way for it to work with these new servers. But I did copy over my play profile data so I wouldn't have to re-learn/configure my custom control mappings for stuff, hah.

Yeah, there were a 100+ servers up I think, but it seemed most of them were empty with about 15-20 servers pretty populated and half of those were outside the US so my pings were 300+, which is more than I want to play with. If you see me on there (same name), join my squad ;).

Can't believe I missed this 2 weeks ago!

Bloody loved 2142, just the whole feel, the snowy levels, everything.

My weekend is about to be awesome... :)

Just played a few rounds of Titan last night and it was just like I remembered it. This game was so good, definitely one of the top BF games I think

So when I try to install it it gets to the end then says it has stopped working and doesn't install.

I just click play from the launcher and it worked no issue. Are you trying to launch directly from the bf2142 folder? If so run the setup file you downloaded and click play now from there instead. I renamed mine from setup to revive launcher as it seems to be the launcher interface for actually playing

seriously. This game achieved damn-near perfect balance between foot soldiers, armour, mechs and air vehicles. I could write an entire BOOK on how the balance of this game is lightyears ahead of anything else for massive battles.

100% agree!!

Do people play? Went to go DL. Says 19 have played today. Don't know where they get the figure!

Posting so I do not forget to download this. I loved pod jumping onto people.

Its pretty cool that EA is letting it slide. They are doing a good job of not being the worst gaming company ever.

1000000000% agree with you on that... now i know what i'm playing all weekend.. screw you EA and DICE for letting one of your best games ever released die because you bent the knee to annoying BF2 players crying about how BF2142 didn't belong in the series!

kinda sad i missed this thread when it was originally posted but thanks CFDfireman for resurecting the thread.

welp rip their dl server sucks so i'm going to have to spend some time to find another place to download the game since my DVD drive doesn't work anymore after sitting unused for almost 7 years, lol.

Last edited:
I never played this game but my brother who was in the army at the time loved it.

I'd have to give that prize to BF2 personally. The fact that it still has a healthy player base while at the same time being older is a strong testament to that. I don't know how well this revive is doing but the original 2142 was abandoned by players long ago.

That's a really good news. My first BF is BF2, I really love to play with IA, but if 2142 is back, maybe the other will follow.

That's a really good news. My first BF is BF2, I really love to play with IA, but if 2142 is back, maybe the other will follow.

you can get bf2 from the same group/site but sadly i still can't download anything from them.. every download dies at 45%.

I'd have to give that prize to BF2 personally. The fact that it still has a healthy player base while at the same time being older is a strong testament to that. I don't know how well this revive is doing but the original 2142 was abandoned by players long ago.

it was abandoned by EA and dice long before the player base did.. EA gave up on the game after heavy pressure from BF2 players bitching and whining about how bf2142 didn't belong in the series so EA cut the patch team from 8 to 4 and only ended up releasing 1 official patch and 2 beta patches and eventually a year later a random EA employee released a third and final beta patch... mind you the beta patches were required to keep playing online and required you to uninstall and completely reinstall the game.. but ultimately they could never solve the issue with moving the titan lagging the shit out of the game server so people slowly left the game after the first year. there was still a big group of players still playing BF2142 up until gamespy finally shut down.

Last edited:
you can get bf2 from the same group/site but sadly i still can't download anything from them.. every download dies at 45%.

it was abandoned by EA and dice long before the player base did.. EA gave up on the game after heavy pressure from BF2 players bitching and whining about how bf2142 didn't belong in the series so EA cut the patch team from 8 to 4 and only ended up releasing 1 official patch and 2 beta patches and eventually a year later a random EA employee released a third and final beta patch... mind you the beta patches were required to keep playing online and required you to uninstall and completely reinstall the game.. but ultimately they could never solve the issue with moving the titan lagging the shit out of the game server so people slowly left the game after the first year. there was still a big group of players still playing BF2142 up until gamespy finally shut down.

I think you're delusional if you think EA cares that much about what players think that they discontinued support for 2142 at the whim of BF2 players. In fact, I think it's down right historical you even posted that. This could win the Ridiculous Post of the Year (RPOTY) award. It's only May though.

Back