Battlefield 2042 live reveal today

tenor.gif

getting crazy BF3 vibes from this I can't wait! (y):sneaky:

Looks fun as heckfire, but preorders, guys? ...really? I thought we'd matured past that point in 2010.

I'm hyped. My old BF3 and BF4 friends are hyped.

-No Battle Royal diluting Battlefield's core competency
-No dev time wasted on a tacked-on SP campaign
-128 players
-Customizable robot dog
-AI bots
-Titan mode? (rumored)

COD never did anything for me, but Battlefield is my world.
It will all be for nothing if it doesn't have the same wonky physics engine.

Looks fun as heckfire, but preorders, guys? ...really? I thought we'd matured past that point in 2010.
Some people like preloading the game so they don't have to wait. Not everybody has a consistent 200+ Mbps connection that can download the game in 20 minutes or less.

Nothing wrong with pre-order. If you really know you want the game, and you will know if you do, then it makes sense.

I guess it meant more when you were buying a physical copy that would surely sell out on launch day. But it's still fun if you know it's a game you really like.

I'm not pre-ordering any games after Cyberpunk 2077. I'm going to wait for legit reviews and I've got a backlog of games to keep me busy for a while.

Put me down as a maybe. Perhaps during a lull in a Path of Exile league.

Does BF use SBMM? That freaking ruined it for me in COD.

Nothing wrong with pre-order. If you really know you want the game, and you will know if you do, then it makes sense.
There is a zero chance I won't be playing this, and playing for hundreds of hours - unless I am gored by a rhino, after taunting said rhino. The $60 spent on BF3 and BF4 were each good for about 400-500 hrs of .. entertainment (really more obsession/addiction than anything- especially when playing with a group of regulars on voice comm).

But, yeah, a preorder is just giving a company an interest-free loan. I'll usually wait until the last minute before the deadline for the version that gives early or open beta access.

Can't wait!

Last edited:
There is a zero chance I won't be playing this, and playing for hundreds of hours - unless I am gored by a rhino, after taunting said rhino. The $60 spent on BF3 and BF4 were each good for about 400-500 hrs of .. entertainment (really more obsession/addiction than anything- especially when playing with a group of regulars on voice comm).

But, yeah, a preorder is just giving a company an interest-free loan. I'll usually wait until the last minute before the deadline for the version that gives early or open beta access.

Can't wait!
Pre-ordering is worse than an interest free loan. It's giving the reward (money) before the goods (finished game) have been delivered. If they are rewarded before it's finished, what reason do they have to actually deliver a good product? Just collect the money and abandon the project. Or the pieces that finish it end up being paid DLC.

Looks like you can change weapon attachments mid match, Crysis style. Not sure how I like that.

Looks like you can change weapon attachments mid match, Crysis style. Not sure how I like that.

When everyone has the same advantage, no one has an advantage.

Besides, it's a huge fast paced sandbox battle, what would animations on switching attachments really add?

Last edited:
Looks way too chaotic and fast paced for geezers like me
This is why I’m done with the series. I have COD if I want the XTREME MONSTER experience. I don’t understand why they just keep trying to copy COD.

This is why I’m done with the series. I have COD if I want the XTREME MONSTER experience. I don’t understand why they just keep trying to copy COD.
Did you ever play any of the previous BF games? It's always been chaos when you get tanks/jeeps/plans together. Now its just more players which = more chaos.

I for one am liking the look of it. Has a huge BF4 feel for me. My only issue is if its going to be stupid gear shit you buy that isn't even military. They did just hire a former COD guy to run BF series...

Either way I plan to just pay for 1 month of EA game pass to try it.

Did you ever play any of the previous BF games? It's always been chaos when you get tanks/jeeps/plans together. Now its just more players which = more chaos.

I for one am liking the look of it. Has a huge BF4 feel for me. My only issue is if its going to be stupid gear shit you buy that isn't even military. They did just hire a former COD guy to run BF series...

Either way I plan to just pay for 1 month of EA game pass to try it.
Yes, that’s why I don’t like any BF since BF3. They’ve consistently gotten worse. No, I don’t want to play a Metro style map with 128 players. It’s idiotic.

Yes, that’s why I don’t like any BF since BF3. They’ve consistently gotten worse. No, I don’t want to play a Metro style map with 128 players. It’s idiotic.
I totally agree on the Metro style map. I hated Metro TBH. But, I will say this.....if you needed to level up your guns quickly, Metro was the map to play.

None of the maps are Metro style so far from what has been shared. The maps are all very large. I'm sure there will be some CQC style maps because some people enjoy that, but most BF games I've played in aren't as chaotic as the footage shown here. They show that in the reveal because it's exciting.

When everyone has the same advantage, no one has an advantage.

besides, it's a huge fast paced sandbox battle, what would animations on switching attachments really add?

Just doesn't sit well with me. Kind of the point of getting in a squad with friends was so one guy could bring a medkit, the other a repair torch/anti tank, the other longer range and the like. And I just don't see the reason to swap to a scope from a red dot and vice versa in real time. Kind of throws the planning a bit out the window. You know if you keep getting killed because you keep getting overrun up close, maybe it is time to drop the long range set up and pick something better for close quarters next respawn.

For a BF game, just seems out of place.

Reactions: DPI
like this
Just watched the gameplay trailer and I am fucking stoked!!!!
I just rewatched it on a big 4K screen and a few things are apparent: the source was not 4K but probably 1080, and the video compression absolutely crushes a lot of the fine details. Pausing the action to scrutinize some of the details on the vehicle models for example, like the Heli's, the models are actually far more complex in terms of textures, polygon counts and adornments than those in any previous BF game (which you'd expect), but the trailer doesn't convey the crispness that will be present when the engine is running locally on your PC with a decent GPU. IMO.

Last edited:
I just rewatched it on a big 4K screen and a few things are apparent: the source was not 4K but probably 1080, and the video compression absolutely crushes a lot of the fine details. Pausing the action to scrutinize some of the details on the vehicle models for example, like the Heli's, the models are actually far more complex in terms of textures, polygon counts and adornments than those in any previous BF game (which you'd expect), but the trailer doesn't convey the crispness that will be present when the engine is running locally on your PC with a decent GPU. IMO.

Youtube in general sucks, but these trailers look very low resolution and blurry. Hard to make out the fine details. I am assuming it actually looks a lot sharper in person at a native high resolution as you said. Because going by the videos, it looks exactly the same as BF4. But going off of BF5, it should be a big graphical upgrade. BF5 had a lot more detail in terrian details and better lighting for things like small environmental fires.

So many questions about this, based on EA's track record, i'll just assume the worst for all of them.

Reactions: Wat
like this
Just watched the gameplay trailer and I am fucking stoked!!!!
Same! Hoping my rtx 3080 FTW3 ultra hybrid can keep up at 4k.

I like that I'll be able to take my silencer off and on without a respawn.

Reactions: DPI
like this
Same! Hoping my rtx 3080 FTW3 ultra hybrid can keep up at 4k.

I like that I'll be able to take my silencer off and on without a respawn.

I think you'll be OK. Frostbite has always been really good at working with all end of hardware. CPU is really important for sure though.

I think you'll be OK. Frostbite has always been really good at working with all end of hardware. CPU is really important for sure though.
3900x. I feel inadequate :p. I think I'll be fine in all seriousness :) yeah.

BFV was painful with ray tracing turned on. We'll see what they can do with it this time around. Seems like most developers are getting more comfortable with implementing ray tracing and performance has been improving as a result.

BFV was painful with ray tracing turned on. We'll see what they can do with it this time around. Seems like most developers are getting more comfortable with implementing ray tracing and performance has been improving as a result.
Yep. But that was 2080 Ti level raytracing; I reckon a 3000 series + DLSS 2.0 ups the ante considerably for sustained 60FPS minimum framerate. Of course, more competitive players tend to turn all that stuff off anyway.

Yep. But that was 2080 Ti level raytracing; I reckon a 3000 series + DLSS 2.0 ups the ante considerably for sustained 60FPS minimum framerate. Of course, more competitive players tend to turn all that stuff off anyway.
Ampere doesn't have any performance advantages over Turing, for RT and DLSS. Except that you can buy something faster than a 2080ti. But for everything 2080ti and less, you are looking at analogous performance and image quality with Ampere products. 2080ti and 3070 are nearly the same. 2080ti actually slightly wins in certain games.

The only card which actually does take a relative performance hit with DLSS, is the RTX 2060. Image quality is the same, however.

Ampere doesn't have any performance advantages over Turing, for RT and DLSS. Except that you can buy something faster than a 2080ti. But for everything 2080ti and less, you are looking at analogous performance and image quality with Ampere products. 2080ti and 3070 are nearly the same. 2080ti actually slightly wins in certain games.
Well, it's got 2nd-gen RT cores and 3rd-gen Tensor cores. However I don't know what the exact core-for-core performance uplift between generations. Nvidia claimed Ampere RT cores were "twice as fast" as Turing cores, dunno how that shakes out in realworld performance, haven't gone down that rabbit hole since I don't play anything with RT at the moment.

Back