Battlefield 1943 for PC Officially dead...

GullyFoyle

Weaksauce
New Battlefield Blog Post: Looking Ahead
There comes a time when we as a studio have to choose where to best put our efforts. At DICE we’re dedicated to taking care of our products after launch, and also hell bent on building new, innovative and high quality games.

In my day to day work, I look at our release schedule and the studio’s capacity, weighing them against our wild ambitions to create awesomeness. I often need to make hard calls regarding where we put the studio’s focus. Part of the challenge is to balance work on the new against the already shipped, prioritizing the amount of energy spent on the known franchises and the time spent on developing something entirely new.

This is one of those cross roads where I need to make a hard decision. While we’ll continue supporting Battlefield: Bad Company 2 and previous games, it’s time to look ahead to the next giant leap for DICE – the release of Battlefield 3, powered by the mighty Frostbite 2 engine. Our goal is crystal clear: we’re going to build the best Battlefield game ever, and we’ll do whatever it takes to make this the biggest launch in DICE’s history.

We know some of you eagerly have been awaiting Battlefield 1943 and Battlefield: Bad Company 2 Onslaught on PC. I’m sad to say that these two titles are now officially cancelled. Instead, our talented teams will focus on delivering the greatest possible gaming experience in our next behemoth release. We’re confident this will lead to an even better experience in Battlefield 3, not only on PC, but on all platforms.

For an idea of what that means, watch this space for some exciting news I think you’ll like.

Best regards,
Karl Magnus Troedsson
General Manager, DICE

As much as I'm wanting BF3, I'm still enjoying BFBC2 and Vietnam too much to want the successor so soon. However, lols aside I know my master is on its way and it will be a glorious day when he arrives.

Go play BFBC2V you guys! Its awesome.

What I don't understand is why was this so difficult to do on PC? You can't tell me that it wouldn't of sold like crazy. Plus considering it's MP, they could of linked a copy to your account so they know no one is pirating it.

I really wanted BF1943. I hate to have to play it on the PS3. The maps are awesome, and so is the gameplay. It was supposed to be released a year ago, but once again Dice screws something up.

As much as I didn't want either of them to be cancelled (1943 or onslaught), it was kind of obvious after a while. I doubt BC2 will really receive any attention now and what we've got is what we'll be playing. I guess I can't really complain though. I'd rather they had their full attention on polishing BF3 rather than tweaking little things in other games.

We know some of you eagerly have been awaiting Battlefield 1943 and Battlefield: Bad Company 2 Onslaught on PC

NO, no one has been waiting for BF1943 on the PC, no one cares about 1943 apart from console newbs, everyone on the PC platform has been screaming at DICE to stop the messing about with crap like 1943 and finally release a proper BF3.

The fact that this makes it out as PR from DICE makes me wonder if they're even remotely in touch with their userbase.

NO, no one has been waiting for BF1943 on the PC, no one cares about 1943 apart from console newbs, everyone on the PC platform has been screaming at DICE to stop the messing about with crap like 1943 and finally release a proper BF3.

The fact that this makes it out as PR from DICE makes me wonder if they're even remotely in touch with their userbase.

I was wanting 1943 for PC, thanks.

i wanted 1943 only to kill time until BF3 is released..... oh well, cant wait for BF3!

This is no suprise and quite honestly I'm glad. Just please get BF3 done, done right and on time. Thank you.

I was wanting 1943 for PC, thanks.

Then just play BF1942

BF1943 is just a highly cut down version of 1942 with less players and less maps, designed for consoles and ported on to the PC, that's about the lease desirable sequel of all time.

Meanwhile the rest of the gaming community are impatiently rocking on their computer chairs like somoene who badly needs a poo, waiting for even the tiniest piece of information about BF3.

I've been keeping up with what was going on with 1943 every week or so, checking their forums to see if there was any new information, so this sucks for me right now because I was actually looking forward to this.

I really dont care anymore but I do find it troubling how many times they lied to us about 1943 on pc getting "special attention". I remember reading them saying something along the lines of "we're taking our time with the PC release because we do not simply want a port, but a special experience, blah blah). This shit is starting to get old.

yes good idea, nobody cared about either of those things. At least not compared to BF3 anyway.

It really sucks to read this. I kinda wanted to play 1943. Would have been nice to bring back the old days. I find it odd that they are bring out frostbite 2 when 1 is not even finished. I get this feeling that bf3 will be like bf2 where it takes them two years to get the game right and every patch just makes the game worse. look at bfbc2 its alright now but moh runs better more smooth and looks way better with ruffly the same size maps.

That's all fine and good that they say this, but they fed us a load of crap concerning 1943 as other posters have mentioned. I could have cared less about 1943 but what I do care about is what they say and do. Sadly, they still trod the path of meaningless market talk and waffling.

Bring on BF3 and my expectations for it couldn't be lower. :(

They are going to feed you full of console crap with battlefield 3 as well.

I get this feeling that bf3 will be like bf2 where it takes them two years to get the game right

This is how it's always been with DICE, I don't know why anyone would expect it to be any different this time.

It's not going to stop one person here from picking up BF3 on day 1.
Posted via Mobile Device

actually the ones that don't care are the NOOBS that never played BF1942 which is the best of the BF series
Posted via Mobile Device

BF3 better have prone/dedicated servers/proper lan support.
Posted via Mobile Device

This is how it's always been with DICE, I don't know why anyone would expect it to be any different this time.

It's not going to stop one person here from picking up BF3 on day 1.
Posted via Mobile Device

]Posted via Mobile Device??? how did u do that? what phone and app u using?
Posted via Mobile Device

Current bug with the forums, everyone has it right now.

I cared about BF1943 last year, I stopped caring a few months back though. BFBC2 is working for me at least until true battlefield 3 comes out.
Posted via Mobile Device

I really wanted BF1943. I hate to have to play it on the PS3. The maps are awesome, and so is the gameplay. It was supposed to be released a year ago, but once again Dice screws something up.

yea, I would not have minded having 1943 on the PC. It is sooo F'ing hard to play on the PS3 is it not even funny. How people play FPS games on consoles is beyond me.
Posted via Mobile Device

This is a good thing.

Modders can use the BF3 engine to make a far better BF1943 than dice would have.

First off, why didn't they release it on PC first? These were the true biggest set of gamers waiting for it, not a bunch of kiddy kids on their consoles (with a few of the pc/console mature gamers).

PC should have been released, wow, there is really no excuse for it not to have been ported over, or MADE FIRST on PC.... at least they had someone give us a simple one page letter explaining the BF series, props to DICE FOR THAT! Thank you! I did download it on a friends PS3 but was very upset I was literally timed one or two games and then unable to play the demo any longer.

I was awaiting BF3 the most, my #1 awaited game as I still play BF2 every week, my primary game of interest the past few years with the crappy wave they seemed to cancel (BF:BC blows, thank you DICE for not making another lameduck expansion for it!)

Good deal in the end, I am happy we got news and happy there are more heads into BF3 (which hopefully is going to be much like a renewed BF2 and with nothing else mixed in, especially the lame recent shooter game style with close range scripted stuff.... very immature and predictable were the recent BF games, I did not buy them or even play a demo.... even if there was one!)

Doesn't surprise me. With the success of BC2. This got overshadowed pretty easy. Looking forward to BF3.. although it will probably be 60$.. so ill have to pass.

Who cares we just got BFBC2 and Vietnam. Those are pretty solid games. The evidence? I play them.

I knew they were spreading themselves too thin. I'm sure if they could have delivered the 1943 we all wanted in a reasonable timeframe they would have. At best, the game they could have got out would have been a trip down memory lane--and a short one at that, just the Pacific Theater. They could never build the game we wanted, with the subs and the carriers and all of that stuff.

The guys at Retro said it best when they were talking about how they approached Metroid Prime. They said developers not only have to make the new game better than the original, they have to make it better than the memories of the original. The console gamers probably don't know the original at all. Easy. For us it would have been a massive undertaking.

I have no qualms with them. They released BCBC2 and Vietnam and did a respectable job with both--most PC features implemented--antialiasing, DX11, ect. Let's see what kind of tech they bring to the able with BF3 before we judge.

Don't really care for the modern stuff as much. As much as it's been done to death, I think I would have preferred the throwback to the WWII game that BF1942 provided us with.

Well, I suppose I can always hope for mods... maybe.

As much as I'm wanting BF3, I'm still enjoying BFBC2 and Vietnam too much to want the successor so soon.

You're a fucking dumbass, never ever say that Battlefield 3 is a successor to that abomination BC2. Battlefield 3 is a successor of Battlefield 2. Go back to your Xbox.

Back