Battlefield 1942 released FREE on Origin

Does it work on modern PCs? I tried playing it about a year ago with the latest patched version, and the bots simply beat your pants off due to increased CPU horsepower...

Damn you EA, that was the only thing they could have ever possibly done to get me to DL Origin lol guess I have no choice now lol

PLEEEASE tell me this is an unchanged conversion and not like Battlefield: Play for free!

Edit:

The FAQs say it's not a remake, and is original.

Edit Edit:

Q: Can I run a dedicated server for the game?
A: Yes, you can run a dedicated server by running the file “DedicatedServer.exe”. It is located in the folder where you installed Battlefield 1942 through Origin. This will present you with all available settings, maps and modes for you to customize before pressing the button “launch server”. This server will be visible to all other players via the server browser.

:D

Last edited:
PLEEEASE tell me this is an unchanged conversion and not like Battlefield: Play for free!

Edit:

The FAQs say it's not a remake, and is original.

Edit Edit:

Q: Can I run a dedicated server for the game?
A: Yes, you can run a dedicated server by running the file “DedicatedServer.exe”. It is located in the folder where you installed Battlefield 1942 through Origin. This will present you with all available settings, maps and modes for you to customize before pressing the button “launch server”. This server will be visible to all other players via the server browser.

:D

i smell hard server

Did they put in widescreen support yet or do you need to fiddle around with FOV's and cfg files?

No widescreen support I can find, really screws up all the windows I have open on all my monitors, but it is BF1942.

oh cool. i hope people actually play. i would love to play some normandy beach dude.

i bet i could download and install the game in like 5 minutes

the none origin version with the head on jeep collisions was way more enjoyable

just came here to post the obligatory comment on how hippocritical it is for EA to bash valve for their 75% off sales and say we'd never see that on origin, then go with a 100% off sale on one of there great games from a few years ago. im glad theyre doing this, but i still will not download origin even for bf 1942. EA can suck my ass.

Prior_from_origin.jpg

origin, not even once

just came here to post the obligatory comment on how hippocritical it is for EA to bash valve for their 75% off sales and say we'd never see that on origin, then go with a 100% off sale on one of there great games from a few years ago. im glad theyre doing this, but i still will not download origin even for bf 1942. EA can suck my ass.

Seriously? "A few years ago"? It was released a decade ago. It's hilarious, they release a free game and still people find a reason to bitch.

EDIT: Although if you meant to make a pun and meant "hippocritical" to mean first do no harm, then I take back my comment and commend you on a clever joke. Otherwise, spelling fail. ;)

Last edited:
You know the drill:

EA » The Devil, no matter what they do
Valve » Good incarnated, they can do no wrong.

It got old years ago, but some people just keep at it.

You know the drill:

EA » The Devil, no matter what they do
Valve » Good incarnated, they can do no wrong.

It got old years ago, but some people just keep at it.

I disagree, each company does good and bad. EA is just mainly bad.
Sadly you can't opt out of valve.

If anyone wants to know, I am getting out 6000-7000 fps maxed.

Seriously? "A few years ago"? It was released a decade ago. It's hilarious, they release a free game and still people find a reason to bitch.

EDIT: Although if you meant to make a pun and meant "hippocritical" to mean first do no harm, then I take back my comment and commend you on a clever joke. Otherwise, spelling fail. ;)

yes i misspelled hypocrticial, but i believe you meant "hippocrAtical," which is indeed a different thing.

i dont see anything wrong with pointing out that EA is being hyppocritical. they said they would never sell games at 75% off, then they did exactly that, then 80% off, then 90% off, and now free. im not complaining that theyre having huge sales, i think its great. and if you use origin, then even better for you. however that doesnt change the fact that slamming their competitor for their business practices and vowing not to follow suit, then doing EXACTLY what they did is very hypocritical.

its true i love valve and i hate EA. this is mostly (entirely) due to the fact that in 5 years of using steam and hundreds of games bought (dozens played :p) i have never once had an issue with valve. i have never felt wronged by them in any way, and have actually felt catered to and valued as a customer. EA on the other hand, has time and again done its best to screw over its cutomers. they do occasionally do something good, like honor all those coupons people got for free, or release a 10-yr-old game for free, but until they stop their practices that i hate, i will continue to hate the company. just voting with my wallet. :)

Finally!!

I'm glad I passed on it when it was on sale for $0.99, I KNEW it would go down more. All my friends in college 8 years ago laughed at me when I said I could get it cheaper than $30, NOW who's got the last laugh muahahhaa

On a serious note, I tried to install Mass Effect today (EA game) that I purchased legally off Amazon, would not install, literally spend 2 hours trying to install it. After contacting EA they finally did make it right by giving me the game directly, but they made me create an Origin account and put it in my Origin account.
While I'm happy they finally did the right thing, it took almost 4 hours from first install to finally being able to load the game.
I doubt any normal person would have put up with that.

Also, while installing Origin this popped up, LOL

EAlicenseagreement.JPG

Finally!!

I'm glad I passed on it when it was on sale for $0.99, I KNEW it would go down more. All my friends in college 8 years ago laughed at me when I said I could get it cheaper than $30, NOW who's got the last laugh muahahhaa

On a serious note, I tried to install Mass Effect today (EA game) that I purchased legally off Amazon, would not install, literally spend 2 hours trying to install it. After contacting EA they finally did make it right by giving me the game directly, but they made me create an Origin account and put it in my Origin account.
While I'm happy they finally did the right thing, it took almost 4 hours from first install to finally being able to load the game.

another satisfied customer! :D

I just tried the game. It is horribly dated and boring. Had to uninstall. :(

Oh BF42... The memories will stick with me forever. Hopefully EA finds that an overwhelming amount of people download this and decide to go back to their roots and make an updated BF42 game...

·PitBuLL·;1039298348 said:
Oh BF42... The memories will stick with me forever. Hopefully EA finds that an overwhelming amount of people download this and decide to go back to their roots and make an updated BF42 game...

With a level-progression system, weapon unlocks, perks, Rush Mode, small and unbalanced maps, client-side hit detection, and no mods...yeah that would be awesome /sarcasm.

You guys should REALLY check out Ravaged. It plays pretty much so Like BF1942 Desert Combat. Not really surprising since it's the same dev team!

The game is fun, the helicopters are INSANE! But I will admit that it's a little rough around the edges. But they had to release the game a wee bit early in order to start bringing in some cash. Their gameplan is to be committed to release a mega patch every month with at least one new map and game modes.

Steam has a free demo - http://store.steampowered.com/app/96308/
Their website - www.2dawn.com

The player base is low for a new game. So they need as much help as possible spreading the word!

Friend still loves to play this, but in all honesty, unless it includes the expansions, nobody really plays the plain vanilla game.

Friend still loves to play this, but in all honesty, unless it includes the expansions, nobody really plays the plain vanilla game.

Really? People are playing road to Rome and secret weapons of WWII still?

You'd think more would be playing vanilla because it is more common and the cheapest common denominator among people looking for the lowest cost BF experience(other than play4free).

You can find jewel case copies of BF1942 for $.99 and the BF1942 Complete Collection (all expansions and Battlefield Vietnam) for around $20. We got some cheap copies of the game (if even that), loaded DC (0.7 and Final) and then just LANed.

Finally!!

EAlicenseagreement.JPG

lol interesting glitch.

Already laughing at all the Aircraft carriers getting beached...just last night there was a guy driving a battleship trying to ram their team's aircraft carrier back into the water.

This game is hilarious and I've missed it!

Back