Battlefield 1 PC Gamers Report Visual Downgrade After Latest Patch

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
I have no idea how or why DICE allowed this to happen, but I’m sure it will be fixed sooner rather than later. Some players are even reporting lower performance, which is doubly awkward since graphics features appear to be lowered.

It appears that the PC version of Battlefield 1 got visually worse after its latest title update. According to a number of gamers, the latest update has downgraded the game’s visuals. Even though this looks more like a bug than an intentional downgrade, gamers provided some comparison screenshots in order to showcase the visual differences. …The post-patch version lacks tessellation on muddy terrain path, has a lower amount of terrain quality/decoration, as well as lower HBAO+, shadow resolution or shadow-draw distance.

Yeah this was their "fix" for their bad optimization, turn all the settings down so people maybe get better FPS and don't notice. Sad. I don't understand why they have such issues going from beta's, which have some minior gameplay issues, to bugs that make the game unplayable or barely playable for so many users. (I'm not talking about this specific graphics issue, but others that plague bf1 still since launch.) And their terribad servers which have packet loss out the wazoo.

Yeah this was their "fix" for their bad optimization, turn all the settings down so people maybe get better FPS and don't notice. Sad.

The sad part is actually gamers that truly believe they can max out the settings but then cry about 'poor optimizatrion' when they can't run it how they want even though they have 'top of the line' systems. I honestly have no issue bumping a few settings down here and there for a truly smooth experience. Others, however, like to blame the game.

The devs basically have to lower the quality for all just to avoid the bad publicity generated by the few.

The sad part is actually gamers that truly believe they can max out the settings but then cry about 'poor optimizatrion' when they can't run it how they want even though they have 'top of the line' systems. I honestly have no issue bumping a few settings down here and there for a truly smooth experience. Others, however, like to blame the game.

The devs basically have to lower the quality for all just to avoid the bad publicity generated by the few.

Not really. I was able to run the beta fine, usually around 80fps with rare dips into the 50s at 1080p with everything on high. Now, it's usually in the 50s with dips into the single digits. It is not a hardware issue, it's a on dice's side. The changes they made didn't even resolve the issues and in fact introduced many more. People with current gen i7s and i5s and 1080s aren't able to maintain 60fps and cpus are running 100% fulltime. The game also uses the same engine as SW BF, which didn't have these issues. This one is on DICE/EA, when it's your game and not all of them that tells you something.

I don't see anyone complaining about wanting to run max settings, most are having issues even on the lowest settings.

Not really. I was able to run the beta fine, usually around 80fps with rare dips into the 50s at 1080p with everything on high. Now, it's usually in the 50s with dips into the single digits. It is not a hardware issue, it's a on dice's side. The changes they made didn't even resolve the issues and in fact introduced many more. People with current gen i7s and i5s and 1080s aren't able to maintain 60fps and cpus are running 100% fulltime. The game also uses the same engine as SW BF, which didn't have these issues. This one is on DICE/EA, when it's your game and not all of them that tells you something.

I don't see anyone complaining about wanting to run max settings, most are having issues even on the lowest settings.

Even simple fixes can kill performance. It's not really surprising that a released game can have lower fps than the beta, especially since the beta didn't have all the graphics options.

A beta...

The Gears of War 4 beta on the Xbox One back in March looked like ass. I highly doubt the Battlefield beta had the full polish/bells and whistles that the final game has so your point is moot. Betas that focus on multiplayer serve one function: to iron out gameplay bugs and other things like weapon balancing and other small gameplay tweaks. In no way are those betas pumped full of graphical features.

Last edited:
A beta...

The Gears of War 4 beta on the Xbox One back in March looked like ass. I highly doubt the Battlefield beta had the full polish/bells and whistles that the final game has so your point is moot. BTW, you're the first person on this forum I've seen to label this game 'unoptimized'. In the Deus X DX12 thread, I saw BF1 brought up a few times as a game that is greatly optimized.

I can't roll my eyes any harder at your ignorance. Please talk about what you know about which is not this. Dx12 gets worse FPS in bf1 than dx11, significantly worse on release, slightly better after the last patch, but still worse than dx11.

Go check the official BF forums, shit even the last patch notes.

Last edited:
Thanks OP. I planned on getting it around Christmas but wont be picking it up now.

Have the game.. visuals aside it has few redeeming qualities. Feels like a step back from BF4.. high expectations... low quality reality.

Back