Battlechess is on Kickstarter

Battle Chess was cool. Just regular chess, but the pieces would fight when they took a space and all that. Just for show, but nifty.

I remember that... Brings me back a bit there...

Hmm, interesting MP & Rank might be fun.

Will see, on the fence on this one.

I loved that game. Did you know it was actually created by Blizzard?

Well, the company that would later become Blizzard.

Original Battlechess on DOS was awesome! And so addicting. I am not a big chess player. I can play it and know the rules but I suck at strategy. But seeing the chesspieces cutting each other apart (surprisingly gory at the times, depending who fought who) as you played made the game helluva more exciting. :D

battlechess was the shit when i was a kid.. haven't played chess in probably 12 years though. kinda sad since i was actually good at it.

Battlechess taught me how to play chess (aside from a few pointers from my father).

I'd love to see it remade

It was hilarious. I used to play it all the time on my aunt's old Mac. That was easily 18+ years ago.

Oh man I lived battlechess when I was a kid. I still remember the rook changing into some kind of rock monster and eating the other chess piece...I think. I'm not much for chess these days, but it certainly brings back memories.

ah i remember this old skool game.

i dont get why it would cost 100,000 dollars for it though.

Battlechess was pretty cool, though I learnt less about chess and more about how to move to see certain kill moves more than anything :p

Battlechess was pretty cool, though I learnt less about chess and more about how to move to see certain kill moves more than anything :p

Oh yeah. Half the time I concentrated on trying too see all different combinations of who kills who. :D

yea.... no, 100k is not going to happen.

Sad but true. This game is as nichee as one can get, no matter how good idea it is. 100k is a crapload of money for game like this. Very unlikely to happen.

I thought the recent Battle Vs Chess was by them. But it was by some never heard of company.

The reason why people may not have heard of it was Interplay blocked the sale in the US because it was so similar in title/gameplay (chess multiplayer with death animations etc.) pretty legitimately. But it gives a good guide to popularity.

Screenshot...
_-Battle-Vs-Chess-Wii-_.jpg

It was on the PC, PS3/Xbox/Wii/PSP/DS. (i've not played it, it might be terrible)

Not sure how well that game did, but it doesn't appear to have done very well. It was marketed for $40 on the consoles and $20 on PC. There seem to be lots of price complaints.

Buuut from the looks of it, battle chess is pretty finished. If they just shove it on steam as is for $10/15, they could probably make the $100k in a short amount of time. Then patch multiplayer later.

Also...allow character set modding. :D

I watched the trailer for Battle VS Chess but the gameplay looked like that of a role playing game, and when I play chess I don't want to be distracted too much. If they would only release a trailer for Battle Chess or gameplay video so more people would notice it.

Original Battlechess on DOS was awesome! And so addicting. I am not a big chess player. I can play it and know the rules but I suck at strategy. But seeing the chesspieces cutting each other apart (surprisingly gory at the times, depending who fought who) as you played made the game helluva more exciting. :D

Ah the memories...Watching the Rook eat the Queen...then spit out the crown. :)

I think I still have the media to that game...I know I still have the manual.

The 4 player version with a cross shaped board?

Never heard of that one.

Team chess as I learned it in high school was two vs two. Two boards with two sets of pieces. Captures pieces are given to your partner who is playing the opposite color you are. As a move you can throw down a captured piece given to you by your teammate. Five minute games, knights coming out of nowhere, hilarity ensues.

The only reason I played this as a kid was the funny gore like on Knight on Knight action where he cut off the limbs of the other knight. Basically, it was like fatalities before Mortal Kombat invented fatalities.

I think the only way a modern battlechess would work is if it didn't repeat the same animations over and over again. It needs to have some randomness, variety to it.

Not sure if this one will feature any gore but it definitely needs a "gore" setting that can be turned on and off I think.

Never heard of that one.

Team chess as I learned it in high school was two vs two. Two boards with two sets of pieces. Captures pieces are given to your partner who is playing the opposite color you are. As a move you can throw down a captured piece given to you by your teammate. Five minute games, knights coming out of nowhere, hilarity ensues.

This one!

4-player-chess.jpg

If you have friends big into Chess try playing with Knightmare cards. It completely changes the rules of Chess.

Wow id consider myself big into chess and am defiantly open to different styles of chess. But im not about to pay those prices :eek:

Things are not looking good for Battle Chess...

It's a shame too, considering the many successfully funded Kickstarter projects - many of which were no doubt helped considerably by nostalgic gamers.

Where did Battlechess go wrong? Poor promotion? Lack of demand for a Chess game? Lack of "personality" on their Kickstarter page? Lack of originality? Lack of everything in general?

Back