Battle of the 24" IPS monitors (non- heavily AG coated variety)

Namelessme

[H]ard|Gawd
Although I have no plans to rush out and get a 24" monitor right now, I was curious what folks here think of the following three IPS monitors. I guess I am just making a 'wish list' for the future, in case I ever see a good deal.

Apple cinema 24"
NEC 2490
Samsung 24" PLS

I include just these three, as I strongly dislike the heavily coated IPS screens. I also don't want 27", due to it being too many pixels for my machine to handle.

I am ruling out the 24" PLS for now, due to bleed and QA issues. But if Samsung gets it act together for the next revision, it may be considered -- especially if they make a little brother to the new 27" glass model that just came out. It of course isn't technically IPS, but I am including it anyway. The 24"er is also 6-bit, while the other two are 8-bit.

24" ACD vs NEC 2490... which do people feel is better? I know a lot of people really like the 2490, but how does the ACD compare? I believe they basically have the same exact panel.

Pro for the NEC is better electronics and polarizer.
Pro for the ACD is glossy (my preference).

Otherwise, are they more or less equivalent? Black levels about the same? Speaking of which, how bad (or good) are the black levels for those two monitors in general? And is the PLS any better as far as blacks go?

Is the NEC's AG coating 'average'? I have read others stating the coating is much less than modern IPS monitors, but have any people have compared them to TNs or PVAs directly? Is it about the same as PVA panels? Or on the level of a Dell 2412 (which I disliked)?

I guess I am curious if I'd prefer a polarizer w/some (yet hopefully manageable) grain vs the 24" ACD w/glossy screen. I have seen neither in person, which is why I am asking for opinions.

It's somewhat annoying that the monitors I think I would like, aren't made anymore. So I'd have to go used, which has its own set of problems. Or I can just wait it out and hope someone eventually releases new glossy or semi-glossy 24"ers, in 16:10.

Last edited:
Back