Battery: The Weakest Link

CHANG3D

Supreme [H]ardness
Battery technology hasn't made a major improvement in a while or at least not something that could be produced in the immediate future, but this might be the biggest news I've heard in a while, and it might be achievable rather soon, due to the fact it's not fundamentally doing things any different.

http://www.phys.org/news/2016-04-chemists-battery-technology-off-the-charts-capacity.html

Battery could now "live" a LOT longer thinks to this technology. It's not battery power capacity or discharge efficiency, etc, this is about extending life cycle by protecting the nanowires with an extra layer of gel.

That's really interesting... The biggest holdback with batteries in phones now is the Lion technology.

It'll be years, probably at least 5 years solid, before this tech becomes a part of our daily lives if it even happens, sadly. I'm all for improvements in power technology, definitely, but like most anyone else I hate the wait for development, production, and of course the inevitable price gouging that'll happen when it actually hits the market in general at least for the first few years.

Bleeding edge... bleeding our pockets dry. :D

I hope this is more in the lines of projector auto keystone correction technology. While I don't expect it to go from demo to being in dozens of projectors in a year like the auto keystone, I am just saying that it has the potential to arrive much sooner because it's just an extra coating for the wires. Everything else about the li-ion battery is the same. It's not carbon nanotubes or algae or bacteria etc. This is using the same nanowires, just coated with this new protective gel, in the same old li-ion battery. 5 years? It's still a lot sooner than carbon nanotubes, but I still expect to see it even sooner. Probably Tesla first and then LG or some Korean battery manufacturer.

Back