Batman: Arkham Origins

I'm pretty sure they made clear they were basically re-using AC assets outrightand putting this Origins spin on it.

Unless they really threw a bunch of technical glitches and BS at it I can't see where AC fans can go wrong here.

No, they aren't just reusing stuff. They said in a video that they expanded the city from AC and changed some things. The added Christmas theme is layered throughout too in the game.

The only thing they basically carried over was the battle/fighting system and only made slight changes from what I have read.

Let what sink in? You don't know how the game or the story pans out, so why would you give this developer any less a chance with this than Rocksteady when Arkham Asylum was announced? Rocksteady has developed the same amount of games that WB Montreal has (3)

I'm generally a pessimist but goddamn the negativity surrounding Arkham Origins just due to the developers is fucking ridiculous.

you're not understanding my main point...it's not that Rocksteady decided to move on to another ip...they are making another Batman game...let me repeat...they are currently developing another Batman game coming out in 2014...so what exactly is the point in this Origins game by another developer?

the fact that Rocksteady left tells me that maybe they did not agree with Warner Bros. direction for this game and they got tired of repeating the same old, same old with the franchise and wanted to try something a bit different...that's like saying it's no big deal if DICE left Battlefied to another developer or BioWare leaving Mass Effect

I have both Arkham games and love both of them and I'm giving Origins a chance and want it to be good but to ignore the obvious and blindly buy any game and rationalize away every single concern is pure fanboyism

You only play games that get rave reviews?

again you're missing the point...and the answer to your question is no

you're not understanding my main point...it's not that Rocksteady decided to move on to another ip...they are making another Batman game...

That means they're working on the same IP. The IP is Batman.

Might be my fault for reading into it too much but stories like these:

http://batman-news.com/2013/04/10/rocksteady-comments-on-wb-games-montreals-batman-arkham-origins/

Same code and game engine for sure.

Of course it's the same engine. Why would they make a new one from scratch? That doesn't mean it's a recycle, any more than The Last Remnant is a recycle of 50 Cent: Blood on the Sand. After all, they use the same engine.

I think you're definitely reading too much into things.

you're not understanding my main point...it's not that Rocksteady decided to move on to another ip...they are making another Batman game...let me repeat...they are currently developing another Batman game coming out in 2014...so what exactly is the point in this Origins game by another developer?

the fact that Rocksteady left tells me that maybe they did not agree with Warner Bros. direction for this game and they got tired of repeating the same old, same old with the franchise and wanted to try something a bit different...that's like saying it's no big deal if DICE left Battlefied to another developer or BioWare leaving Mass Effect

I have both Arkham games and love both of them and I'm giving Origins a chance and want it to be good but to ignore the obvious and blindly buy any game and rationalize away every single concern is pure fanboyism

Youre making it sound like Arkham Origins is basically just third party DLC for the previous game repackaged as a new standalone game. That it?

Youre making it sound like Arkham Origins is basically just third party DLC for the previous game repackaged as a new standalone game. That it?

I have no idea what this game will be or the point of it...the other Arkham games had a purpose...this feels like a total rehash of the earlier games and a $$ grab...CoD: Arkham...why Warner Bros. couldn't wait an extra 8 months or so for Rocksteady to release their new Batman game is a mystery...Origins being DLC might be a good thing...the fact that Nvidia is bundling the game with their video cards and the codes being sold online for half price or less makes Origins a good deal though

Sounds like another game that caught the Call of Duty annualized copy paste job bug. Original developer gets fed up and IP owner contracts someone else to slap something together. I'm not sure if releasing a new Batman every year is a good idea - gonna burn out.

Sounds like another game that caught the Call of Duty annualized copy paste job bug. Original developer gets fed up and IP owner contracts someone else to slap something together. I'm not sure if releasing a new Batman every year is a good idea - gonna burn out.

Whether it's "slapped together" or not shouldn't really be the basis of discussion before the game is even out. Let's wait and see before we light the dynamite.

Premature speculation seems like premature speculation. Any articles supporting the claim on "original developer gets fed up?" Obviously you can make that asumption, but that's pretty much all it is....an asumption

CoD releases the same rehash and people eat that shit up as well.

I thought that the article said that the original devs didn't get fed up, they just wanted to make another Batman game and let someone else take over Origins. As far as I'm aware they are working on an untitled Batman game right now.

CoD releases the same rehash and people eat that shit up as well.

Yes, that was my point. I should've prefaced my comment with "If what ponyc2 is saying is true". I really haven't followed the day-to-day minutiae on this one, so you guys would know better.

CoD divides up their annual release mainly between 2 developers (Infinity Ward and Treyarch) so maybe Arkham is following suit...I understand blind devotion (I somewhat have it with the Assassin's Creed games) but to not acknowledge any potential issues with Rocksteady's lack of involvement AND their development of a new Batman ip is silly...certain people are saying 'let's wait and see before making any judgements on the game'...and yet those same people have already pre-ordered the game...that's not taking a wait and see approach, you've already made up your mind :rolleyes:

CoD divides up their annual release mainly between 2 developers (Infinity Ward and Treyarch) so maybe Arkham is following suit...I understand blind devotion (I somewhat have it with the Assassin's Creed games) but to not acknowledge any potential issues with Rocksteady's lack of involvement AND their development of a new Batman ip is silly...certain people are saying 'let's wait and see before making any judgements on the game'...and yet those same people have already pre-ordered the game...that's not taking a wait and see approach, you've already made up your mind :rolleyes:

It sounds like you have made up your mind as well with you being so hostile towards the game. Every single game has the potential to suck, no matter who develops it. Unless you work for WB or either development studio all you can do is make baseless assumptions with no proof to fall back on. Based on what we've seen so far nothing looks bad about the game. Do you expect people to judge games based on "well this could be what happened" or "This is what I assume to be the case" over gameplay videos?

no, I'm waiting for reviews...and I never said the game was going to suck...read more then a post or 2 in the thread

I've been looking in this thread randomly while I was on break at working during the day. All I remember of your posts today were negative towards the game making assumptions that Rocksteady didn't want to do it and that somehow means something bad.

Man this is tough. I want this new game , I love the last two but I need money for the next gen launch.

I might pick the Vita version up, but I am definately getting the main version for the PC

I hear there is an embargo through Friday, but I'm curious whether any have been leaked?

the AMD Never Settle and Nvidia gaming bundles have really made getting new games for cheap fairly common...almost every major game is in 1 bundle or the other and you can get new games for half price or less...makes waiting for reviews much easier as you don't have to worry about pre-ordering etc

makes waiting for reviews much easier as you don't have to worry about pre-ordering etc

What about pre-ordering is worrisome? You go on Steam, you pay in advance, you pre-load when it's ready, done.

What about pre-ordering is worrisome? You go on Steam, you pay in advance, you pre-load when it's ready, done.

pre-ordering means you're locked into buying with no recourse if the game ends up being disappointing...waiting for reviews means you can feel more confident when buying...and now with the Nvidia promo codes being sold in forums like [H] for cheap it makes waiting the best move as someone will always be selling their Arkham codes in the For Sale section for $25-$30

Then that would be your fault for preordering a game you weren't sure about.

isn't that an oxymoron?...read what you just wrote...pre-ordering a game I wasn't sure about...dude you cannot be sure about ANY game you pre-order...not 1...look up the word oxymoron

lol...yeah my fault lol...waiting to buy a game is a terrible move on my part...why wait when you can just blindly pre-order every game...Aliens: Colonial Marines was great wasn't it?...Duke Nukem Forever knocked my socks off

dude you cannot be sure about ANY game you pre-order...not 1...

Not true at all. We aren't exactly dealing with the Heisenberg uncertainty principle here. If you're putting money down in advance for something, it means you've done your research or you have a history with the product or similar products.

You've got some pretty strange standards.

Not true at all. We aren't exactly dealing with the Heisenberg uncertainty principle here. If you're putting money down in advance for something, it means you've done your research or you have a history with the product or similar products.

You've got some pretty strange standards.

you're just arguing for the sake of arguing...you're making zero sense and want to continue to make zero sense out of stubborn pride...my last post was the hammer which nailed my point

we're talking about pre-ordering a game in this thread (although I guess it could apply to anything)...you cannot be certain about the quality of a game based on pre-release videos or marketing...there have been countless examples of this...people who pre-order don't care and will buy because they believe no matter what...Aliens: CM had the same effect...but later on it was revealed that the videos they released prior to release were not actual gameplay

you cannot have 'done your research' when pre-ordering a game...tell me this research you've performed with Arkham Origins...tell me...I want to know...you came close to admitting the real issue here...you have a 'history with similar products'...that is the only reason you are blindly jumping in...you loved Asylum and AC and are assuming that this will be just as great...you are basing it solely on that fact and nothing more...can we stop this pointless debate now?...I should have become a lawyer

now I know there will be the odd subsection of people who if the game comes out and is excellent will try and make a point about what I have been saying...but please read my posts carefully before posting

Is it a worldwide countdown or a per time zone countdown via Steam?

if I remember correctly, the global launch is staggered. My guess is (and our international friends can chime in) other countries will have different countdowns.

So according to Steam, it says will unlock in 6 hours. Does that mean I'll be playing at 6PM EST tonight? Or am I missing something?

So according to Steam, it says will unlock in 6 hours. Does that mean I'll be playing at 6PM EST tonight? Or am I missing something?

I believe that Steam detects time zone differences, so by that information, you should be able to play it when it says.

Can't find much info on it, but if that's true, that's pretty neat. I'll be playing right when I get home then.

Warner Bros. Montreal has admitted facing "resistance and reluctance" at "every level" when it began work on Batman Arkham Origins, the first title in the Arkham franchise not designed by its British creators, Rocksteady.

"Obviously resistance and reluctance exists at every level," he explained. "There were fans who said: 'They're not Rocksteady, they can't make an Arkham game.' And there were concerns within the organisation that we weren't going to be able to deliver the special sauce of a Rocksteady game...

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...aced-resistance-and-reluctance-at-every-level

nice article...gives me more hope that they might deliver

So it looks like it's midnight EST now. Checked a few hours ago after I posted, and it might have been a fluke, heh.

Looks like its unlocking between 9 and 10PM for me here, can't wait for tonight.

Back