Batman: Arkham Knight

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/d...sed-batman-arkham-knight-performance-analysis

Ultimately, what's most disappointing about the PC version of Arkham Knight is that there's little sense that the scalability of the game has improved much since launch. For those with entry-level and mid-range enthusiast gaming PCs, the developer's inability to produce a solution for optimising streaming for 2GB GPUs is simply not good enough. Effectively, locking to 30fps is the only way forward as it helps to mitigates the stutter, but it means that for cards like the GTX 960, plenty of GPU horsepower is left untapped. The only route forward there really is to run at 1440p or super-sample that resolution downwards to 1080p. Even those at the absolute top-end will be left underwhelmed - the GTX 980 Ti exhibits exactly the same sub-60fps stutter as the GTX 970 and GTX 980. To be clear, it's not game-breaking and it is preferable to a locked 30fps across the run of play, but the fact that we are seeing it all with high-level parts demonstrates that there's no way to power past all of this game's issues.

I guess its not just hating bandwagoners that claim there is an issue.

The fact that WB first pulled the game from sale and are now calling it "unfixable" and offering refunds proves there is an issue. Anyone claiming otherwise is just making themselves look foolish.

I don't doubt it works okay for some people but it's obvious there are problems.

steam sale few years down the road with all dlc for 5 bucks looks like the best bet

so sad lol

With certain elements being declared "unfixable" - I think this is the end of the line for the game. The game is still very much playable on high end hardware, specifically Nvidia's apparently. The catch is that it'll never be perfect and it still has issues. If you have less than 12GB of memory and an older setup, you might never have a good experience.

With refunds going through the end of the year, I'll probably just blow through it (I'm able to play it okay) and then take it. I've stuck to the game (at retail price) after all of the BS at this stage, so I don't even feel bad about that.

With certain elements being declared "unfixable" - I think this is the end of the line for the game. The game is still very much playable on high end hardware, specifically Nvidia's apparently. The catch is that it'll never be perfect and it still has issues. If you have less than 12GB of memory and an older setup, you might never have a good experience.

With refunds going through the end of the year, I'll probably just blow through it (I'm able to play it okay) and then take it. I've stuck to the game (at retail price) after all of the BS at this stage, so I don't even feel bad about that.

The 12 GB was only for windows 10. did they change it? I plan on keeping it either way. I've used consoles most of my life so being around 30 fps won't kill me since Im used to it.:rolleyes:

The 12 GB was only for windows 10. did they change it? I plan on keeping it either way. I've used consoles most of my life so being around 30 fps won't kill me since Im used to it.:rolleyes:

No idea - I was just posting what everyone seems to be repeating (including WB) and I'm on Windows 10.
If you don't mind playing at 30fps, I bet a lot of setups can probably still play the game. The game might still have a memory leak (and reset your visual settings upon rebooting) but it's probably worth a shot. You could always just buy the game and then get a refund if you have issues.
While I'll likely never touch it again after eventually winning it, I'm going to see it through. If you're on a beefy system and aren't relying on SLI/Crossfire, the game might actually run pretty well for you. With a couple tweaks, I'm doing fine now.

It's just sad that it takes a freaking 980 Ti or a Titan X to make the game playable at 60fps, even at 1080p.

It's just sad that it takes a freaking 980 Ti or a Titan X to make the game playable at 60fps, even at 1080p.

I'm "only" on a 980GTX and am fine, too :p
Per Afterburner I only drop frames in the Batmobile and usually only to the upper 40's.
I'm not sure far into the game, but unless things change I think all 980's and potentially 970's can play the game.

I am hoping it will atleast get sli support so it will be playable at 60 fps on my display

I'm "only" on a 980GTX and am fine, too :p
Per Afterburner I only drop frames in the Batmobile and usually only to the upper 40's.
I'm not sure far into the game, but unless things change I think all 980's and potentially 970's can play the game.

I have to lock the game at 30fps in order for it to be playable. When running around outside of the Batmobile it's fine but as soon as I get in it's a stuttering mess, that's at both 90 and 60fps. With and without the Gameworks stuff.

Interesting. I wonder if there's something CPU or RAM related going on. I also give my 980 a little bit of an overclock, but nothing too crazy. Maybe a 10% boost.
I fully believe the game is broken with all of the reports, but it honestly isn't that bad for my setup.

why did WB recommend 12GB system RAM for Windows 10 only?...why doesn't the restart the game trick they stated for Windows 7 work for 10?...does W10 handle the page file differently?

I assume a refund isn't an option if the game was purchased outside of Steam (i.e. a key site).

If it's from one of the grey market sites, no. If you got it from Greenmangaming though, they're going to offer refunds until December 31st.

Huh, sorry to hear everyone's having problems. Got my copy from GMG months ago for like $36. Runs like a dream on my system (granted, it's pretty beefy, one TX is disabled)

The graphics, gameplay, and overall attention to detail in this game are unreal. Really enjoying my time with it.

Does your second card see any utilisation?
No, I went in and disabled it in the nVidia control panel. I haven't even tried it in SLI mode. I put maybe an hour or two into it before the re-release, and it was a known issue that SLI would dramatically decrease performance, and I heard that the issue persisted, so I didn't even bother trying to turn it on.

I've been playing the game quite a bit over the last few days and it's still doing fine. Have had no crashes, glitches, or even major frame drops. Per Afterburner, I have yet to go below 46fps, Batmobile and all. It's locked at 60 almost all of the time and only drops when the Batmobile is running through obstacles.

I'm at 1080p with everything cranked except "only" 2xAA. Shadows didn't seem to matter, so I bumped them back up to high.

For anyone with a strong rig, it's probably worth grabbing just to see if you can play it. I'm doing well and I don't think the others are necessarily trolling either. If you can't - just get a refund. It's still inexcusable how bad the game is for normal rigs, but it might not be a total loss if you have the horsepower.

I have also been enjoying this game the last few days since I got my Xbox one wireless pc adapter :D

it doesnt suck like it did in the start and my 980 is doing just fine on 1080p almost all maxed out. even alt tabbing and sleep mode doesn't affect it much at all :p only the occassional under 50 fps slow downs.

very nice game as long as it works :D

I have also been enjoying this game the last few days since I got my Xbox one wireless pc adapter :D

it doesnt suck like it did in the start and my 980 is doing just fine on 1080p almost all maxed out. even alt tabbing and sleep mode doesn't affect it much at all :p only the occassional under 50 fps slow downs.

very nice game as long as it works :D

Don't take this the wrong way. But I think you have your expectations set much too low for a GTX 980 game experience. Just think about what you just said. You purchased a $500 video card to be able to play Batman @1080p 50fps with not even maxed out graphics settings.

Now am I telling you to get angry and stop playing the game? No. Have fun and enjoy it from beginning to the end! But please don't brag that it runs great. Nvidia or Warn a Brother might get the impression that your performance is more than acceptable from reading your account of the state of the game.

:)

Don't take this the wrong way. But I think you have your expectations set much too low for a GTX 980 game experience. Just think about what you just said. You purchased a $500 video card to be able to play Batman @1080p 50fps with not even maxed out graphics settings.

Now am I telling you to get angry and stop playing the game? No. Have fun and enjoy it from beginning to the end! But please don't brag that it runs great. Nvidia or Warn a Brother might get the impression that your performance is more than acceptable from reading your account of the state of the game.

:)

Backseat post much? :) j/k but I don't see where he bragged at all.

OTOH if all that was allowed here was for people to bandwagon bitch that "it suxx it's broken OMG lol Warn a Brotha" then some people might get the impression that it's not working for ANYONE, which clearly isn't the case, nor does it require a 980 to be playable.

Last edited:
IMO, there's a big difference between endorsing the game and letting people know that it might just work for them. With the refund policy in place, I'd suggest giving it a try. I've been pleasantly surprised.
The game is still a failure of epic proportions, but that doesn't mean it's universally unplayable. I'd much rather play what I'm playing than either console version.

IMO, there's a big difference between endorsing the game and letting people know that it might just work for them. With the refund policy in place, I'd suggest giving it a try. I've been pleasantly surprised.
The game is still a failure of epic proportions, but that doesn't mean it's universally unplayable. I'd much rather play what I'm playing than either console version.

I'd have to agree. Especially when you can get it a little cheaper on Greenmangaming and they are also doing a refund until the end of the year. Performance randomness aside it is a damn good game. Not the best in the series but when we're talking about games as good as Asylum and City being just under them isn't bad.

This really sucks and I mean really. This was the most anticipated game for me since Mass Effect 3. Bad enough it's broke all to shit when it's released, then they pull it from the shelf and now, 4 months later they re-release it still broken and state it's forever fucked. Guess I'll never buy it now unless it hits a $10 bargain bin or something. Oh well at least I've got 3 superb Batman games to play. Guess it's a good thing I never get tired of them.

Respect this opinion even though I have a different perspective. I prefer to vote with my wallet to let developers and publishers know I find this type of behavior unacceptable. It seems to me that the less gamers buy the game the more these companies will get the message. And perhaps this will be a positive force for future game development.

The reason I think this will work is that I have read that Steam's new refund policy is what forced WB to pull the game in the first place.

Respect this opinion even though I have a different perspective. I prefer to vote with my wallet to let developers and publishers know I find this type of behavior unacceptable. It seems to me that the less gamers buy the game the more these companies will get the message. And perhaps this will be a positive force for future game development.

The reason I think this will work is that I have read that Steam's new refund policy is what forced WB to pull the game in the first place.

A bunch of bad press from the gaming media is what forced their hand.

I got the game for 22$ CAD and so far I like it, I have ~7hours played.

At 3440*1440 I get ~45 fps with medium setting (without any nvidia option) but I still get the some stutter from time to time since 3gb of vram is not enough for medium. But its a rather rare occurrence. Minimum fps is 40 and I get in the 50-55 range pretty often.
It says it would need ~3.3gb of vram in the game setting (they show you how much ram your setting will take in the graphic option menu).

Low texture would need ~2.2gb ram.

The game will also eat up over 6gb of system ram so if you only have 8gb it could be a problem.

For 3440*1440 it's doing better then I expected but I could use a better video card.
Just waiting on nvidia to release something new.

I started up Arkham Knight last night...first off performance is fine for the most part...I'm playing with all the GameWorks fetures enabled at 1920 x 1200 and everything else on High...I can stay close to 60 fps for the most part but the Batmobile parts do take a dip...it's still playable but just not as smooth...hitching and stuttering happens...the game uses up 5.5GB+ of system RAM just in the intro splash screens which is crazy...also maxes out my VRAM (3.5GB)

the thing that is more annoying then the performance is the game itself...almost feels like a different developer took on the game...I'm still very early in the game (I'm up to the part when I captured Poison Ivy and locked her up) but character models are so different from the earlier Arkham games...Poison Ivy has a completely new face...the graphics also look strange...way too much film grain and washed out colors...Gotham has the same attention to detail but something looks off...I'm going to try disabling film grain and see if it makes any difference...the earlier Arkham games looked much more crisp and detailed

the Batmobile also is weird...that whole Battle Mode thing is stupid...the way the Batmobile can strafe from side to side is so silly...I hope things get better soon

the Batmobile also is weird...that whole Battle Mode thing is stupid...the way the Batmobile can strafe from side to side is so silly...I hope things get better soon

The game, when its running well, its a lot of fun, and the story (I think) is just great as it unfolds (though the big reveal wasn't so big to those who knew the comic history well).

The Batmobile plays a larger role later in the game, so all I can say is practice with it if need be to get used to it. It'll pay off later on.

The game, when its running well, its a lot of fun, and the story (I think) is just great as it unfolds (though the big reveal wasn't so big to those who knew the comic history well).

The Batmobile plays a larger role later in the game, so all I can say is practice with it if need be to get used to it. It'll pay off later on.

it's not about practicing...I can easily strafe and charge up the missiles etc...the point is that a huge tank-like vehicle shouldn't be able to strafe like that...it's like the car has no weight to it

it's not about practicing...I can easily strafe and charge up the missiles etc...the point is that a huge tank-like vehicle shouldn't be able to strafe like that...it's like the car has no weight to it

Yeah, it's silly. Though without that any of the 40 or so fights in the thing would be impossible.

Did you notice the wheels become sort of like castors when in battle mode? They can rotate 360 degrees. That's how it's able to maneuver like that. It's not supposed to be the exact same thing as a massive tank, it's more like a highly mobile gun platform.

I keep getting 'fatal error' crashes every once in awhile now...

disabling the Nvidia GameWorks smoke and debris has fixed the crashes...no more crashes after disabling them...the game actually looks better as well for some strange reason...the rain effects are really impressive...now it looks closer to Arkham City from a graphics standpoint...everything seems a bit overly complicated with all those AR challenges littering the map...so those are separate from the 'regular' Riddler trophy challenges?...any point to completing the AR stuff as they seem very Batmobile dependent and annoying

Back