Batman: Arkham Knight PC Sales Suspended

Is it really that hard for people to go into the ini and set that cap up to 60? At least that's easy to fix.

Evidently, upping the Max_FPS setting in the .ini file to 60 or above causes some physics problems, like "floaty" villains just hanging in the air for no reason. At least, according to the Twitter posts I saw this morning.

I literally want to see this guy eat crow

http://blogs.nvidia.com/blog/2015/06/22/batman-arkham-knight-2/

Gameworks needs to bloody well gtfo and stay out, nvidia should be getting hell for this nonsense, if you're going to promote a game and all your features included, make sure it effin works! They didn't even have a driver to fix these issues upon release, it's like they just assumed it would work.

Cry more. GameWorks is optional Middleware to enable features that can be disabled.

Love these wingnuts trying to blame GameWorks for this games problems.

Honestly, I'm a little confused on this whole thing. The last time Rocksteady released a Batman game, they elected to release the console versions first, with a follow-up version for PC with enhanced graphics later.

I have zero idea why they didn't do the same with this one. Yes, it's annoying that people have to wait for the PC version, but the Arkham City PC release was great. I'd rather they announce that the PC version will follow the console version so that Rocksteady had time to do a proper port (as long as they announce that the PC version WILL be coming - the whole thing about "the decision to release a PC version has not been made" bit is annoying).

Evidently, upping the Max_FPS setting in the .ini file to 60 or above causes some physics problems, like "floaty" villains just hanging in the air for no reason. At least, according to the Twitter posts I saw this morning.

*So far* I have not seen that with 5 hours of gameplay under my belt at 60.

The .ini file says point blank to not attempt to put a value higher than 60 in there and I know that lots of people tried to use higher values so... we'll see.

Cry more. GameWorks is optional Middleware to enable features that can be disabled.

Love these wingnuts trying to blame GameWorks for this games problems.

I wish it were that simple.

I personally think Iron Galaxy (that's who did the port?) needs some more attention/focus over this fiasco. Maybe some nuts nailed to the wall over there as well.

From what I have read, sounds like they really pooched the port sideways big time. But the blame still should continue to roll uphill in this case.

From what I've dug up the story goes that WB gave them eight weeks to complete the port and make sure it works.

If that is true, WB are the ones who should get a few less white-collar paychecks to hand out everything.

I hope the game goes back on Steam anyway a month or so from now I guess there are 6,000 negative reviews.

I can confirm the floaty villains.

At the start, the first car you chase then blow up, the guy to interrogate was about 3 feet off the ground, floating there when I walked up to him.

I just shook my head and tried to move on. At that point, had already run into numerous other issues that were just killing the gameplay. Gave up for the night not long after the floating bad guy.

I hope the game goes back on Steam anyway a month or so from now I guess there are 6,000 negative reviews.

You know WB will file an appeal, saying that since they've solved the bugs and performance issues (whether they have or not), the original reviews should be deleted.

You know WB will file an appeal, saying that since they've solved the bugs and performance issues (whether they have or not), the original reviews should be deleted.

Other devs have tried, all have failed.

Steam store moderators just openly tell them "You shouldn't have released a buggy game then"

Hell, Brianna Wu tried to get in good with one of the steam store moderators by asking him out for coffee so they could "Do something about the negative reviews and coverage" for Revolution 60.

Said mod told Wu to fuck off.

Steams refund policy is the sole reason this happened, had it not been in the place it would have been Arkham Origins all over again.

I literally want to see this guy eat crow

http://blogs.nvidia.com/blog/2015/06/22/batman-arkham-knight-2/

Gameworks needs to bloody well gtfo and stay out, nvidia should be getting hell for this nonsense, if you're going to promote a game and all your features included, make sure it effin works! They didn't even have a driver to fix these issues upon release, it's like they just assumed it would work.

Its not NVidias fault AMD dont provide a library of gaming features to help devs produce better code for their GPUs in less time.
If you want to get mad, blow at AMD for not supporting their hardware as well as NVidia.
If that doesnt work, demonstrate by buying NVidia.

So poorly porting yet another wash-rinse-and-repeat super hero comic book kids game based on some crappy 60-year old spandex-clad goth-emo introvert who refuses to seek counseling with his MILLIONS of monies and goes fighting incompetent villains by throwing unusually deadly bat-themed plastic toys at them in order to heal his childhood grief wasn't a good idea? Raise your hand if you're surprised.

If you raised your hand, hit yourself in the face with one of your treasured injection molded, mass produced, bat-themed collectibles because you're and adult and should have both grown out of that stuff and know better by now.

Now go claim your refund and use the money to buy something vastly more useful like a snack or maybe a pair of shoes.

Wow dude.... go see a therapist.

Other devs have tried, all have failed.

Steam store moderators just openly tell them "You shouldn't have released a buggy game then"

Hell, Brianna Wu tried to get in good with one of the steam store moderators by asking him out for coffee so they could "Do something about the negative reviews and coverage" for Revolution 60.

Said mod told Wu to fuck off.

Of course the mod did. She's been married for 10 years, so he knew it was just coffee.;)

UF5TCrE.gif

Don't know how much of the problems are related to WB deciding to use Denuvo copy protection on this one. Denuvo isn't used much so there must be a reason why that is. Sometimes the copy protection contributes to the problems. I was not going to get this game just because of Denuvo but saw it on cjkeys.com for $20. Decided what the hell I can spring for that. I must be one of the lucky ones cause I've been playing 2-3 hours with no issues on my setup. Kicked fps to 60 and made some other changes from the tweaks on the Steam Forum. Pulling it surprised me. Unity ran so much worse than this one.

My guess is that steam's new refund policy had a huge effect on this. Before, if you bought a game and it was buggy, all you could do was say, "Well, I won't do THAT again." But, that doesn't really do any good. The publisher already got their money, they couldn't care any less. What Steam's new refund policy does is it allows people to talk with their money NOW rather than later, and that makes a big difference.

No I course, it would be better if people would stop pre ordering altogether, but refunds are a step foward.

I hadn't thought of that. I glad we are finally seeing some recourse that could have a positive influence on the industry as a whole.

Is it really that hard for people to go into the ini and set that cap up to 60? At least that's easy to fix.
Upping the framerate causes problems, the worst of which I have experience is extremely low quality textures as if the textures don't finish streaming in.

I see this happen even with the game locked to 30 FPS, so something funky is going on under the hood.

Don't know how much of the problems are related to WB deciding to use Denuvo copy protection on this one. Denuvo isn't used much so there must be a reason why that is. Sometimes the copy protection contributes to the problems. I was not going to get this game just because of Denuvo but saw it on cjkeys.com for $20. Decided what the hell I can spring for that. I must be one of the lucky ones cause I've been playing 2-3 hours with no issues on my setup. Kicked fps to 60 and made some other changes from the tweaks on the Steam Forum. Pulling it surprised me. Unity ran so much worse than this one.
Steam's refund policy wasn't in place for Unity. Ubisoft already got everyone's money, so they didn't give a shit. The refunds must have obviously been hitting WB's bottom line, otherwise we would not have seen this kind of reaction. Notice how we were being laughed at by WB because the execs are so used to taking our money and running. I've never encountered an issue with Denuvo so far, so I'm neutral on that choice of DRM.

With Steam's new refund policy, customers have been given the power of the veto. Gone are the days where companies can fart out shitty, broken games. They either make good games that work or they don't make money.

I wonder if they will stop using Iron Galaxy for PC porting, or if they just throw the 12 guys who did it under the bus. I sure wouldn't want my name listed in those credits.

QUOTE=dewbak75;1041690843]The one thing I want to happen out of all this is the one thing that probably won't happen. Some journalist needs to get an exec from WB on the record force them to answer one simple question, "What made WB think this game was actually ready to ship for the PC?" Because either their QA procedures are woefully deficient, or at some point in the process, someone saw that this game was still riddled with problems and said "Ship it anyway."

Actually, I want two things to come out of this. The other thing I hope to see is a sharp decline in the number of pre-orders for PC games. The only way this kind of behavior is going to change is if developers/publishers face financial pressure to deliver stable, well-performing games.

I would say WB QA is actually pretty good overall, better than a lot of places. Now the person/people signing off on a project having the feedback from QA is another story.

+1 If everybody could stick to just one idea like this if could eventually make a difference. In this case I agree playing Batman on Xbox works very well.[/QUOTE]

I meant boycotting the game completely or a particular developer or publisher. Buying the same game on another platform still supports it.

I wonder if they will stop using Iron Galaxy for PC porting, or if they just throw the 12 guys who did it under the bus. I sure wouldn't want my name listed in those credits.

I don't know any details in this case, but having such a high profile game go so wrong it won't matter if it's their fault or not. The dev. Community will most likely (unofficially) blacklist them, it'll be hard for them after their current contacts run out to get new sub work. I would say they'll have to get a few good original releases before they can market themselves out again.

If they can finance this or coarse.

I meant boycotting the game completely or a particular developer or publisher. Buying the same game on another platform still supports it.

Yeah I understood. For example I won't even look at anything ubisoft would make regardless of platform.

Others though I will go between versions, such as not buying anything on PC that has Gameworks, but buying the console version of I really want to play the game.

Technically, Iron Forge handled the port. So i wonder how much Rocksteady/WB actually tested prior to release. You think they'd have learned their lesson after Origins though...

In the end, it doesn't matter whether or not WB farmed out the port. It's WB's game, ultimately they're responsible for ensuring the game is ready before it actually ships. The best-case scenario for WB is if they had given Iron Galaxy full QA responsibilities, trusting them when they said "yep, it's good to go!", meaning they got snookered. If that's the case, shame on them since this is the same team that screwed up the Arkham Origins PC port, so the real fault lies with the person who decided they could do another one without proper oversight.

It's a straightforward fix, sure. But asking people to directly modify .ini files is never ideal. Plus, the in-game config menu is just a front-end for editing those same .ini files, so it's not like the ability to edit it in-game isn't there. Making the player do it manually is just laziness on the part of the developer. Honestly, how hard is it to an an option to the config: "Max FPS - ??" and a notation of "put 0 for no limit". Plus, the very fact that the PC version of the game has or needs an fps cap suggests it's poorly coded.

Sadly, some lower level manager in the QA department will be fired as the scapegoat. He likely raised all of the issues and told management exactly what would happen, and they decided to ship anyway. He will be told, "You should have communicated your case more passionately" or some BS.

Meanwhile, the idiots in suits will continue to pull down their exorbitant paychecks for their brilliant no-nonsense decision making.

Back