Batman: Arkham Knight NVIDIA GameWorks Batmobile Video

doesnt look good imo. it's like someone paints a zigzag line with the paintbrush tool in ms paint.

AMD users, make sure you download the Batman AK ready driver from AMD's website six months from now. :)

It's a sad state when there are GPU brand exclusives like this.

You shouldn't have to buy two GPU's just to make sure you get the most out of each game.

We should boycott all titles that have any kind of exclusives in them.

Zarathustra[H];1041664220 said:
Yay, Frostbite 3 is getting Mantle support!!!!111 Yay game X is getting AMD effect Y!!1!!11lmnop #ActivateGoldfishMemory

Great another 1% fog vs 1800% fog. Look how great GarbageWork physicX are, we wouldn't be able to achieve fog without it. It's like comparing Deus ex and Deus ex:Human revolution. Oh wow the graphics are so much better :rolleyes:

Might look good for tech demos but in game it's crap. It's like when you go in water and out in Dying light and your stuck with crap on your screen for 10 seconds. It's like when they add lens flares to mimic GG Abrahams Star trek and you can't see shit. Detracts from the gameplay.

Will the GameWorks features actually work on Maxwell cards without crashing every 30-60 minutes? Because FC4 is a disaster like that with GameWorks enabled. Most turned off the "fog" (godrays) because basically it yellow tinted the screen, and volumetric was a gray tint.

Makes no change to the game. Like physix, it wont be missed.

Yay, Frostbite 3 is getting Mantle support!!!!111 Yay game X is getting AMD effect Y!!1!!11lmnop #ActivateGoldfishMemory

Except the part where Nvidia can run any of the AMD stuff it pleases, they simply chose not to. Sadly Nvidia would rather lock everything down and cripple their older generation cards and AMD cards and refuse support of better, faster, open standards. And before you say, I only own one card, GTX690 and it's a piece of shit on newer drivers thanks to Nvidia :D

Except the part where Nvidia can run any of the AMD stuff it pleases, they simply chose not to.
AMD cancelled the public release of the Mantle SDK and reference implementation, so it's still as closed and proprietary as it was on release. It wouldn't matter anyways since Mantle is tied to GCN features, making it fairly worthless to anything else.

That's the whole problem highlighted in my sarcastic post. It's great when AMD works with developers to implement AMD only, or AMD works best features in games, but totally evil when Nvidia does the exact same damn thing. The hypocrisy is idiotic, followed only by the total ignorance in defending that hypocrisy.

Except the part where Nvidia can run any of the AMD stuff it pleases, they simply chose not to. Sadly Nvidia would rather lock everything down and cripple their older generation cards and AMD cards and refuse support of better, faster, open standards. And before you say, I only own one card, GTX690 and it's a piece of shit on newer drivers thanks to Nvidia :D

This. Nvidia can suck it. They are clearly the more evil of the two choices.

That's the whole problem highlighted in my sarcastic post. It's great when AMD works with developers to implement AMD only, or AMD works best features in games, but totally evil when Nvidia does the exact same damn thing. The hypocrisy is idiotic, followed only by the total ignorance in defending that hypocrisy.

AMD cancelled the public release of the Mantle SDK and reference implementation, so it's still as closed and proprietary as it was on release. It wouldn't matter anyways since Mantle is tied to GCN features, making it fairly worthless to anything else.

Last I checked, AMD doesn't really create features that can only be enabled on AMD cards, and lock out other brands based on GUID alone. Mantle, being an API, is kid-of tied to GPUs with driver logic that can communicate with it, it's not 'locking out' Nvidia cards, as they can run the game with identical features, just not using Mantle. Mantle does not introduce more graphical features, it just utilises the system in a different way.

It's like going to the sandwich shop, and you have all the options to put on your sandwich, and when you go to pay, the point-of-sale can accept Visa, MasterCard or Cash.

AMD's sandwich shop allows for you to use American Express as well as the other options. Which means nothing at all for those who don't have the AMEX card. You can still have any sandwich you want.

Nvidia's sandwich shop limits what ingredients you can put on the sandwich, and uses different ages in their ingredients depending on what payment method you wish to use. If you want to be able to use the best and freshest ingredients, you have to use certain payment methods.

Sigh, people still mixing up mantle vs gameworks API's. Look, my car is designed to run on 93 octane. It *can* run on 87, but it's meant for 93. Your honda civic is designed only for 87. Does that mean that my car is locking out certain features by accepting 93 octane to run? No, it's a feature that your civic simply does not support. What Nvidia does is like making a car that runs on 93 octane that only Exxon is allowed to provide. Sure Shell and BP sell the same 93 octane but Exxon wont allow it.

You shouldn't have to buy two GPU's just to make sure you get the most out of each game.
I hate this kind of stuff too. I am an nVidia user, yet I hate the brand/GPU exclusive nonsense. Getting to be like console wars.

I hate this kind of stuff too. I am an nVidia user, yet I hate the brand/GPU exclusive nonsense. Getting to be like console wars.

Blame microsoft. They're supposed to be the one's managing the graphics API. But they take 5 years between releases so card manufacturers started developing their own to take advantage of new features.

We should boycott all titles that have any kind of exclusives in them.

Boycott a game because of a little extra smoke? Gotcha.

You first

The smoke effects look way overdone. The part where the car burns rubber is ridiculous, whereas it actually look tasteful with gameworks off.

Blame microsoft. They're supposed to be the one's managing the graphics API. But they take 5 years between releases so card manufacturers started developing their own to take advantage of new features.
Gameworks is not an API.

Hard to boycott this game :)

The real question, though, is - will it support 3D Vision? Those games look so amazing in S3D.

Boycott a game because of a little extra smoke? Gotcha.

You first

Well, honestly I wasn't planning on buying it anyway. Neither super heroes nor 3rd person games are my thing.

That being said, GPU vendor excluaive features are a dangerous slippery slope we can't let get out of hand.

It's one thing if a GPU is incapable of doing something. It's another thing if a GPU is locked out because one vendor entered into a contract with the game dev and provided them money or other considerations.

This is just plan evil.

Zarathustra[H];1041665841 said:
Well, honestly I wasn't planning on buying it anyway. Neither super heroes nor 3rd person games are my thing.

That being said, GPU vendor excluaive features are a dangerous slippery slope we can't let get out of hand.

It's one thing if a GPU is incapable of doing something. It's another thing if a GPU is locked out because one vendor entered into a contract with the game dev and provided them money or other considerations.

This is just plan evil.

Plain. Thanks autocorrect.

Hey, at least it's not as bad as the new Tomb Raider game, releasing only on XBox at launch...

Are you sure?
GameWorks effects libraries don't replace D3D/OpenGL APIs. Effects on GameWorks still call D3D/OpenGL APIs to render on the video card.

As a library, of course GameWorks has APIs, just like any other library does. That's different than trying to replace D3D or OpenGL API calls. Mantle is an example of something attempting to work around limitations in D3D.

GameWorks effects libraries don't replace D3D/OpenGL APIs. Effects on GameWorks still call D3D/OpenGL APIs to render on the video card.

As a library, of course GameWorks has APIs, just like any other library does. That's different than trying to replace D3D or OpenGL API calls. Mantle is an example of something attempting to work around limitations in D3D.

I didnt think GW outright replaced D3D, but rather augmented it with their own rendering paths designed specifically for hardware features that D3D has yet to take into account.

By the sounds of it if AMD chose to pursue it, it sounds as if they would ahve a legitimate case on anti-competitive grounds to sue Nvidia over Gameworks.

Its essentially a surreptitious effort to lock AMD out of the market by coercing game developers into making titles that intentionally sabotage the experience on AMD GPU's.

Sounds a lot like what happened with the Intel compiler and how it was sabotaging binaries when run on AMD CPU's.

Nvidia = The death of Pc Gaming. I also find it funny that majority of Envydia shiol run gtx 970's and 960's good luck buying a 3060 @550 bucks, a 3080 @700 bucks, a 3080Ti @a 1000 bucks and a titan(whatever its called) 1500 bucks.
Nvidia are running shit scared nothing but a bunch of pathetic losers.

Back