Batman: Arkham City won't have Gawful?

_PixelNinja

[H]ard|Gawd
It seems that Batman: Arkham City will not integrate GWFL after all.

Source. (ROFL at all the GIFS and pics in there!)

UPDATE: VG27/7, PC Gamer and RPS have reported that this information is false and the game will indeed use GFWL.

Last edited:
good move...hopefully no games will ever use that crap again...unfortuneately I still need it to play some older games (BioShock 2, Arkham Asylum, DiRT 2 etc)

Nice! It wouldn't have stopped me from buying AC, but now I won't have to struggle getting it to let me play like I did with AA.

Excellent idea there! I commend the executive who made it and recommend him for a promotion!

Now... will it have PhysX??? (j/k)

Thank christ for that.

Damn straight! I had considered whether to pick it up or not - I loved the first game, but I've got *so much* to play, if it'd kept GFWL, I probably would have passed. Just that one more headache to deal with, and there IS a ton of stuff out there that desperately needs play time.

Still - no GFWL...gotta support that kind of decision with my Day-1-dolla-bills!

Ok -- there seems to be contradicting information on this. VG24/7 have put up an article reporting that B:AC is indeed a GFWL game. I do not like when this happens...

I think I read that those who are saying it'll use GFWL based their conclusion off old box art.

Im not religious... but thank you Jesus, for casting out that abomination

Since GFW Marketplace is already dead, I'm assuming that GFWL will simply transition to the PC gaming arm of X-Box Live. It'll still suck, with a new name.

Could someone tell me what the benefits with GFWL are for both the end user and the game developers? I hated it.

Could someone tell me what the benefits with GFWL are for both the end user and the game developers? I hated it.

For the end user I think the only benefit is that it can keep track of your achievements in conjunction with an XBL account. You can also chat with XBL friends using their interface if you like, too.

For the end user I think the only benefit is that it can keep track of your achievements in conjunction with an XBL account. You can also chat with XBL friends using their interface if you like, too.

yea i noticed i had achievements for arkham asylum listed under my xbla ... I was baffled.. because I did not own a console copy.. so this makes sense

I'll take GFWL over Nvidias BS only physics

Atleast GFWL doesnt treat one customer worse then another.

While I might be in the minority, I've honestly had no issues with GFWL thus far. I think I have maybe 5 games that use it. It's been nice to get some achievements for the same games as my 360-only friends, plus I've used the communication feature here and there, too.
I know that I went back and forth quite a bit with my 360 friends while hunting around for Joker trophies in the first Batman game.
As long as it doesn't break anything, I'm okay with it again.
However I will mention an annoyance that may or may not be related to GFWL. For some reason there seems to be no way to port saves from Arkham Asylum from one hard-drive to another clean install....at least with the Steam version. I've had to play through that game on 3 different occasions as a result.

Looks like it WILL use GFWL... :mad:

Link here, REALLY not a reliable sight, and I dislike it, but it's something.

I have the impression some people just chime in without reading the thread (or at leas the first post)... I've edited my OP and have posted in the thread that there has been an update on the situation.

I don't understand all the hatred for GFWL. I have a lot of games that use it and I've never once had an issue or felt that it was obtrusive.

I don't understand all the hatred for GFWL. I have a lot of games that use it and I've never once had an issue or felt that it was obtrusive.

Batman is a SP game, integration with GFWL is neither required, nor desired by many of us.
It's just one more useless thing many of us would rather was not required to play a game.

It is also another point of failure. GFWL has not proven to be the most stable program for a number of people. Once I got an offline profile setup, one filled with gibberish instead of the seemingly valuable info they want so they can attempt to market shit to me, I have not had too many issues with it myself. Still would rather it was not required to play certain games.

Batman is a SP game, integration with GFWL is neither required, nor desired by many of us.
It's just one more useless thing many of us would rather was not required to play a game.

It is also another point of failure. GFWL has not proven to be the most stable program for a number of people. Once I got an offline profile setup, one filled with gibberish instead of the seemingly valuable info they want so they can attempt to market shit to me, I have not had too many issues with it myself. Still would rather it was not required to play certain games.

On top of that, it's practically impossible to transfer saves. I reformatted my computer (after backing up my save files) and then put the saves back where they were. Of course they didn't work and GFWL thought I didn't have any saves on my profile.

Got my hopes up there for a second. GFWL should die in a fire. Its the worst thing to plague PC gamers in ever.

Not only is it a pain in the ass to get started with your game but I get a fresh copy of the GFWL Marketplace Client installed on my computer and appearing in my task bar every time I dare to play Arkham Asylum.

My favorite was Bioshock 2 where youre not ALLOWED to save your progress til you either sign in to an existing GFWL account or set one up.

So it appears the Nvida codes for a free copy of Batman AC with the purchase of an nvidia card. The keys works on steam. But is not a steamworks game. I wonder if retail will do the same even tho its a GFWL title. This would be great news.

edit: Should also note the key registers in steam as Batman AC Retail. Almost positive this game will register on steam.

Last edited:
If you don't set Batman AA to auto login, you have to wait a while for your profile and saves to download at startup. Real annoying.

I also had to start over again after making account after I clicked "start new game." (thought I didn't have to make it right away) Lost a couple of hours.

So my question is this: Why do people hate GFWL so much? I mean I understand not caring about it, it doesn't seem to do anything USEFUL, but I've never had any trouble with it. I've got a number of GFWL games and they all work fine. It logs in, and things go on. I wouldn't miss it if it were gone, but it bothers me not at all.

Why for do you all hate it?

So my question is this: Why do people hate GFWL so much? I mean I understand not caring about it, it doesn't seem to do anything USEFUL, but I've never had any trouble with it. I've got a number of GFWL games and they all work fine. It logs in, and things go on. I wouldn't miss it if it were gone, but it bothers me not at all.

Why for do you all hate it?

Because it is not useful, because saves are often tied to it, because it is less than completely stable for a number of people, because it.... well, not going to say much more on that. It is a marketing tool that sometimes gets in the way of gaming, and never has any part in facilitating gaming. I don't hate it so much as I am annoyed by it's uselessness, and the stupidity of making it a requirement for playing a game. I should not have to log in to multiple services to play a game. I am paying money for a product, why should I jump through any more hoops?

I bought Batman AA for my PS3 precisely cause i didn't want to deal with GFWL, I will likely do the same for Arkham City, it's unfortunate really.

Back