Batman: Arkham City for PC

And so what about AMD users, just not worry about people with AMD cards? heh I'm testing with both NV and AMD today, and will relate the gameplay experience on both in our preview today.

AMD does have a driver for this game BTW - http://support.amd.com/us/kbarticles/Pages/Catalyst1111aperformance.aspx

To be honest, I think most of the issues are game related, this game needs some serious patch work.

Hate to say it... but AMD users are saving money on the cost of their hardware unfortunately it's at the cost of driver development. Nvidia pays for early access to games and to work with early game builds for optimization... so maybe that cost is passed along to us. Always remember, you get what you pay for... you save a few bucks buying an AMD GPU but you are sacrificing driver quality when you do.

This is why I quit using AMD GPUs. Sorry, but thats the choice AMD users are making when they open their wallet.

BTW, the DX11 stuttering issue? It happens on NV cards too ;)

This game is an equal opportunity stutterer in DX11.

Well, I don't see a difference in those shots. Catwoman has a nice rack and acceptable bottom in both shots. Since DX9 works and it already looks a bit better than the PS3 version, I'll get the PC version if I can find it cheap and start over on that. If they get DX11 working, bonus! But I won't be waiting for a fix.

Thanks for the link!

Hate to say it... but AMD users are saving money on the cost of their hardware unfortunately it's at the cost of driver development. Nvidia pays for early access to games and to work with early game builds for optimization... so maybe that cost is passed along to us. Always remember, you get what you pay for... you save a few bucks buying an AMD GPU but you are sacrificing driver quality when you do.
I haven't personally had any problems with ATI drivers, though I'm usually behind on the gaming curve (World of Warcraft and all). I've been recently playing a ton of Skyrim and SR3 and the reviews I've seen give Nvidia the edge on both games.
I'll probably be buying green next generation, I don't really have any reason to stay with ATI. In the past, I was using RBE and I do love ATI Tray Tools, but honestly those programs aren't deal breakers anymore.

Hmmm, I'm still waiting I guess.

I redeemed my free code I got with my GTX580 a month or so back. It shows in my library, but no way to install or play it.

I guess I'm back to Skyrim till Steam gets back with me.

BTW, the DX11 stuttering issue? It happens on NV cards too ;)

This game is an equal opportunity stutterer in DX11.

Quite true. It sounds like you're having a lot of issues for some reason. The only thing thus far that's not working for me is DX11, it's simply broken, runs like butter at lower frame rates even in 3D with DX 11 off and is unplayable at higher frame rates with DX 11 on and 3D off. But other than DX 11, everything else works wonderfully and the game hasn't crash once in the two dozen restarts I went through changing settings and coming to the conclusion that DX11 is broken.

DX 11 does look to add a noticeable bump in IQ, I could easily tell the difference with certain objects in the benchmark tool, like the lion on the building, the whatever that plant thing was in the sewer. PhysX seems to be very well implemented in the game, again at least in the benchmark. I know that the [H] staff hates 3D and that it's not popular about the forum members, but if you are into 3D, this game is just brilliant in 3D, these Batman Arkham games are simply the best implementations of 3D in any games I've played to date, it feels like a Batman simulator. In 3D these Batman games are the most immerse I've ever played, I just feel like I'm there, slugging the snot of Gotham's worst, it's just so viscerally satisfying.

So that's my take. Again, this place not being big on 3D I'm guessing that people are going to slam it hard for the broken DX 11. But even when DX 11 gets fixed if the hit with it on degrades performance too much in 3D I'll keep it off. This is the best 3D game on the market IMHO and that's how it should be played if you like 3D.

This stinks. I played the xbox version a month ago and the game is pretty awesome. I won't buy this for PC until they get their shit straight.

Just wondering if LAA would help this game...

I don't think so, I've tried two dozen permutations of settings, the big issue is definitely DX 11, everything else worked perfectly for me, and not a single crash. If you live without DX 11 at least until its patched you should be fine.

You MUST play this game if you are into 3D. You have no choice, this game implements it almost perfectly, even better than the first.

Got it to run in DX9, no hitching or pausing, plays real smooth and really freaking fast in DX9. Huge difference in performance between DX9 and DX11.

This is why I quit using AMD GPUs. Sorry, but thats the choice AMD users are making when they open their wallet.
For me, Nvidia couldn't get their shit straight with HDMI support on thier cards until this last generation. The AMD cards worked perfectly with HDMI and proper audio support for the last three generations. That mattered to me. However, I do agree with you and I have been feeling this way for a while. Luckily I game so much on my HTPC that I don't notice any performance issues in the games that I play. It's always just worked for me.

I'm just stumped (maybe just annoyed) at how even though developers code to a DX standard, they still need to take video card architectures into consideration and then you have the video card manufacturers optimizing drivers for certain games. I thought that the whole point of DX was to eliminate this issue.

I won't be coming back to this game on either system until I finish Uncharted 3 and Sonic Generations. Maybe DX11 will be fixed by then and I can enjoy defeating tesselated monsters or whatever in Batman AC.

I know that the [H] staff hates 3D and that it's not popular about the forum members, but if you are into 3D, this game is just brilliant in 3D, these Batman Arkham games are simply the best implementations of 3D in any games I've played to date, it feels like a Batman simulator. In 3D these Batman games are the most immerse I've ever played, I just feel like I'm there, slugging the snot of Gotham's worst, it's just so viscerally satisfying.

So that's my take. Again, this place not being big on 3D I'm guessing that people are going to slam it hard for the broken DX 11. But even when DX 11 gets fixed if the hit with it on degrades performance too much in 3D I'll keep it off. This is the best 3D game on the market IMHO and that's how it should be played if you like 3D.

Good to hear. Since I started playing in 3D Vision, gaming in 2D seems like chore :) It's absolutely adding lot of immersion and feelin the game. I'm glad, that this game looks stunning in 3D Vision (btw, if you like 3D gaming, try Skyrim :))

Surprise, switched to DX9, launched game, got to main menu, then it appcrashed again, heh.

yup same here. fix for me = going into task manager when the game is starting up and setting the affinity to cpu 0 and cpu 1. stopped the crashing.

Figured out where the framerate cap settings were, its set by default to smooth framerates between 24-62 FPS. I set it to 0-999 and now my FPS are uncapped with vsync off.

Figured out where the framerate cap settings were, its set by default to smooth framerates between 24-62 FPS. I set it to 0-999 and now my FPS are uncapped with vsync off.

yea, that works with any U3 game except GOW. You can turn off smoothing too but I've found it to run better with smoothing on and change min to 0, max to 999.

personally I'm shelving this game till the DirectX 11 issues are addressed. No time for tweaking/fixing with other high profile games releasing.

I hope to play this over the weekend - where should I look for the smoothing config options?

Should wait on this?

I was tempted to get it now so I don't get burned out on Skyrim.

Does the fix I posted not work? I'm gonna have to add this to PCGS soon and I need to get straight which fixes work correctly, I don't own the game so can't test, the smooth frame rate bool in the ini file fix was taken from UT3 but should work?

I hope to play this over the weekend - where should I look for the smoothing config options?

Steam > steamapps > common > batman2 > BmGame > Config > Default Engine.ini
In notepad, edit > find > bsmoothframerate or just frame and its right there.

Game runs perfectly for me. I had one issue with GFWL causing a crash but that appeared to be because I had forgotten to choose 1920x1080 (native res). After that it was peachy.

It's a shame this is drawing a lot of hate hear because of the DX11 issues. This game is fucking amazing, and looks brilliant even with just DX9 mode.

Ya'll need to take a chill pill. DX11 will get sorted out I'm sure, and in the mean time I'll be playing one of - if not THE best - single player games this year in DX9 and enjoying every second of it.

Another thing - if you thought Asylum did an awesome job of making you feel like Bats... this game takes it up to 11. They really outdid themselves with this game.

I think it's safe to say Brent won't have the Batman Performance & IQ p/review up today. Frustrating that games are being released with these kinds of problems - it doesn't exactly encourage PC gamers to go out on a limb and preorder, particularly during such a busy time of year for game releases.

I did preorder this, but now I'm a bit disappointed (given SR3 and Skyrim) that I didn't just wait for a few weeks/months and save a few bucks since I won't be able to get to this for a while.

Last edited:
other than the DX11 issue, this game is awesome. dont let this stop you from buying it especially if you loved the first one.

I think some of you are going a little overboard. Just because a game has some issues with DX11 (with features that are arguably hardly even noticeable during gameplay) it's not a "dismal failure" as someone said earlier.

Damn, you guys are making this sound like Dead Island, which is a real example of a dismal failure. I have not had a single issue so far (aside from one aforementioned GFWL crash) and it runs and looks beautiful on my PC on DX9.

I think some of you are going a little overboard. Just because a game has some issues with DX11 (with features that are arguably hardly even noticeable during gameplay) it's not a "dismal failure" as someone said earlier.

Damn, you guys are making this sound like Dead Island, which is a real example of a dismal failure. I have not had a single issue so far (aside from one aforementioned GFWL crash) and it runs and looks beautiful on my PC on DX9.

I don't think it's a dismal failure by any stretch of the imagination, but I do think it's disappointing given they were talking about tesselation and other features which would improve IQ.

I don't think anybody is going overboard at all. we were promised DX11 features and the game was supposedly even delayed to make it better. the game is released and it is 100% clear that this game did not even get tested in DX11 because its a buggy mess for all DX11 users.

I too will enjoy the game in DX9 for now but its amazing how many games cannot work properly or deliver what was promised on release.

I got this game with my 570 and tried it for like 10 minutes and it was nothing but stuttering and pauses, BF3 had a similar issue(though no where near as bad) with HT on, tried disabling it and the problem is the same.

It is kind of a marketing failure in the aspect that the game was given out with higher end graphics cards to show off their high end DX11 capabilities, and in the end in order to actually run the game you have to run it in DX9

This is weird...If I go into control panel and open up the uninstall programs folder. I have this game listed twice. I installed it via steam last night and it installed all the other bullshit like windows live and that amd shit as well. Can sum1 confirm that they have two icons for uninstall as well? thanks

While I only had a chance to play it for 5-10 minutes, all of those DX11 features that cause crashing were ON by default. That's the biggest part of the problem. It's not like DX11 was just some tacked-on thing that we shouldn't worry about. If you have a DX11 card, that stuff is enabled by default and you have to turn it off.
Plus, at least one of my nearly a dozen or so lock-ups and crashes were with DX11 turned off.

Welcome to HardForums.. Where PC users bitch about everything.. Including a texture on a wall.. ( See Skyrim Thread.)

As for the game.. Loving it. Worth every penny.

Welcome to HardForums.. Where PC users bitch about everything.. Including a texture on a wall.. ( See Skyrim Thread.)

I agree, not being able to launch a game or play it is no grounds for complaining.

I agree with what a couple of others have said, this is a great game even with the DX 11 issues. But I also agree with others about DX 11 being on by default if you have DX 11 hardware. But what's really bothersome about this is that DX 11 is CELARLY broken, EVERYONE in this thread almost instantly saw the problem.

There's just no way that this wasn't spotted unless no one actually played the game in DX 11 in testing, it seems to affect all cards and configurations. That's just insane. I think this has a lot to do with how Crysis 2 worked out. While DX 11 didn't come out at launch at least it didn't break the game since there was no DX 11 to break it and I never had any issues with the DX 11 Crysis 2 patch, nothing like this. And of course if the game had been further delayed that would have been just as bad from a reputational standpoint.

DX 11 simply wasn't ready to go in this game. Hopefully the fix is simple and will be resolved shortly.

yeah we should just skip those DX11 features and not even complain they are buggy. hell lets just get the console version while we are at it. :rolleyes:

Loving the combat. Feels even smoother than Asylum (which was already smooth like butter.) I love being able to tag 2 or 3 people at once with a counter. Reminds me of Batman Returns where Batman grabs two clown goons and smashes their heads together. :)

Also... Catwoman is quite the little martial artist.

honestly I do not even know what I am doing during combat as for as combos and moves go. I am just pushing all the buttons on the controller until they are all knocked out. :D

I agree, not being able to launch a game or play it is no grounds for complaining.

DX 11 is clearly broken, but I never had as SINGLE issue launching the game which everything that it supports, DX 11, PhysX or 3D so I'm unwilling to go this far, there's always people who have issues with new games, but DX 11 is broken for everyone.

It only took me about 20 minutes to figure out that DX 11 was the problem and everything else great, so DX 11 is broken but I've not seen any other quality issues. I've certainly had more problematic games out of the box.

Loving the combat. Feels even smoother than Asylum (which was already smooth like butter.) I love being able to tag 2 or 3 people at once with a counter. Reminds me of Batman Returns where Batman grabs two clown goons and smashes their heads together. :)

Also... Catwoman is quite the little martial artist.

I was thinking the same thing, even at lower frame rates than AA this release feels a bit smoother as long as DX 11 is off. In spite of the DX 11 issues they did polish up PhysX and 3D and the game looks better even in DX 9.

I was thinking the same thing, even at lower frame rates than AA this release feels a bit smoother as long as DX 11 is off. In spite of the DX 11 issues they did polish up PhysX and 3D and the game looks better even in DX 9.
physx is is not 100% bug free. in areas where heavy physx is happening gpu usage seems to go down instead of up like you would think. also I have seen floating papers in mid air in a couple of spots which only happens when using physx. that happened in the first game too in spots and was sometimes followed by my card dropping to 2D clocks. I am paranoid thats going to happen in this game too.

Back