Batman: Arkham City for PC

Interesting, first the Crysis 2 DX 11 pack was late, now Batman doesn't work either. What's going on at Nvidia sponsored games?

AMD had the same problem with DX 11 late on Shogun 2.

Wonder why DX 11 seems to be so problematic.

I don't think its problematic, much friendlier than DX10, but I think what happens is that DX11 ends up being an afterthought, a tack on, rather than a design goal during the process of development. Developers don't seem too keen on pushing the boundaries of PC gaming experiences lately.

Well Crysis 2 and BF3 run just great in DX11 and look both awesome,even if it came out later (crysis 2).

Maybe they'll have a D0 patch? like most game now?

So in other words, by the time a patch is released to fix these issues-just wait till this game is $10 on a steam sale?

So in other words, by the time a patch is released to fix these issues-just wait till this game is $10 on a steam sale?

Maybe. I guess you can still play it okay if you turn off PhysX and DX11 features. It pretty much looks just like Arkham Asylum with some extra touch ups, which is still pretty good.
With all of the chaos I definitely wouldn't buy it right now, though. Luckily I got the Steam discount for buying Arkham Asylum, so I'm not as irked as I would be.

I'm one of the few people in the world who couldn't give a flying shit about DX10 or DX11.
Debating whether or not I want to play this after SR3.

Yup, that's been my trend lately I guess.

Picked up Shogun 2, & Civ 5 cheap lately and working :) ! Skipping Crysis 2 entirely unless it's $5, maybe. Putting an old nvidia card & drivers for Batman is a pain for physx for me, so skipping that until it's cheap to be worth the bother of running ATI & nvidia in 1 box again, and also when it works.

I don't set out to buy cheap & late, just happens that way with the horrible PC quality releases lately.

And I play League of Legends which has no fancy graphics at all inbetween ... :eek:

They delayed the game for an extra month supposedly to really ice things over and I come into this thread and see this nonsense?

Screw it. I have too many other games to play anyways especially if I can get Skyrim fixed which is my top priority.

They delayed the game for an extra month supposedly to really ice things over and I come into this thread and see this nonsense?

Screw it. I have too many other games to play anyways especially if I can get Skyrim fixed which is my top priority.

Don't let them fool you ... they delayed it so that could rack up more console sales like every other game that gets ported / delayed. Its all about the bottom line and making the 15 year olds living in moms basement happy.

Don't let them fool you ... they delayed it so that could rack up more console sales like every other game that gets ported / delayed. Its all about the bottom line and making the 30 year olds living in moms basement happy.

Fixed that for you :p

God with DX11/Physx on this game runs HORRIBLE, I'll be getting 60 fps then it'll stutter/lag and dips into teens.

So badly optimized it seems.

Running on a 2600/580 gtx/8gb ram.

I alt tab and see it using 99% of my gpu.

I'm in the exact same position, I've given up buying games brand new unless they have completely smooth releases and quite frankly the dicking about for a month rubbish has to stop.

I'll buy the game when they finish it (i.e patch out this crap), I don't think it's particularly fair for gamers to buy it before then.

What issues are you having with Skyrim out of interest? Might be able to help, I've tweaked the config for mine a fair bit now.

Don't let them fool you ... they delayed it so that could rack up more console sales like every other game that gets ported / delayed. Its all about the bottom line and making the 15 year olds living in moms basement happy.

Indeed. Stagnating and killing gaming slowly but surely.

Don't let them fool you ... they delayed it so that could rack up more console sales like every other game that gets ported / delayed. Its all about the bottom line and making the 30 year olds living in moms basement happy.

Fixed that for you :p

Think you are both right... lol... :p

I'm in the exact same position, I've given up buying games brand new unless they have completely smooth releases and quite frankly the dicking about for a month rubbish has to stop.

I'll buy the game when they finish it (i.e patch out this crap), I don't think it's particularly fair for gamers to buy it before then.

What issues are you having with Skyrim out of interest? Might be able to help, I've tweaked the config for mine a fair bit now.

Their little Steam patch yesterday screwed me up. I think it created a more unstable .exe or something. I was running great before that "update" yesterday. I'm running a few texture mods like everyone else (better eyes, detailed bodies, enhanced night sky), I've only adjusted FOV and Vsynch off in the .inis.

I had been using Large Address Aware on my exe and still running it through Steam fine before that update. Everything's been beautiful...astonishing even for an early Bethesda release.

Even before using that LAA I was in pretty good shape and LAA kind of put it all over the top.

Now it's just friggin ruined. Even using the earlier .exe with LAA again and Steam shut down doesn't fix it.

http://xn-games.net/okra/2011/11/22/pc-skyrim-patch-update-v1-2-november-22nd-112211/

This is my only hope. I'm going even backtrack and see if my saves are corrupted which they shouldn't be because I've been living by the old rule of avoiding using auto and quick saves.

If you go to Bethesda's forums you'll see that I'm hardly alone in this.

If you have any ideas I'm all ears.

Sucks to read these comments. AA was so good and never gave me any problems so I'm quite disappointed to read of the issues that seem to be common with AC. Fortunately I only paid $34 for it at GMG; I'll download it when I get home and prepare for the worst.

Sucks to read these comments. AA was so good and never gave me any problems so I'm quite disappointed to read of the issues that seem to be common with AC. Fortunately I only paid $34 for it at GMG; I'll download it when I get home and prepare for the worst.

As far as I can tell, the only issue that seems to be consistent is the stuttering with DX 11 features enabled. Make no mistake about the game still is gorgeous and fun to play, very much the same game overall of Batman AA. PhysX and S3D are just fantastic in this game, the best implementation of both I've seen in a game, even a bit better then Batman AA.

I'm happy, just wish DX 11 was working properly, I'd imagine that this will be addressed, hopefully pretty quickly.

It seems it's just DX11 that's the problem, not PhysX.

Turning off DX, leaving physx on, I get no stuttering/lag. Min fps around 40, avg at 56 w/ PhysX on high.

So hopefully it's something they will fix soon.

As far as I can tell, the only issue that seems to be consistent is the stuttering with DX 11 features enabled. Make no mistake about the game still is gorgeous and fun to play, very much the same game overall of Batman AA. PhysX and S3D are just fantastic in this game, the best implementation of both I've seen in a game, even a bit better then Batman AA.

I'm happy, just wish DX 11 was working properly, I'd imagine that this will be addressed, hopefully pretty quickly.

Thanks for the insight. I'll just be glad to utilize PhysX with everything set to max. I'm sure that this will be fixed as well.

Ugh, first launch of Batman and it Appcrashed

And second launch too

Game will not load for me wtf :(

Ok, I finally got the game to load, does it only have 4 saved game spots? fail

Yep, experiencing choppiness with DX11 enabled, game comes to a complete stop at times

And its stuck at 62 FPS on the 6970, even with vsync disabled

Ok, I finally got the game to load, does it only have 4 saved game spots? fail

Yep, experiencing choppiness with DX11 enabled, game comes to a complete stop at times

And its stuck at 62 FPS on the 6970, even with vsync disabled

It uses the Unreal 3 engine, they have a FPS smooth feature which tries to force the frame rate between 2 values in order to keep it "smooth" or whatever the hell, I don't know what they were thinking, but it blows on every title that's used it.

Should be able to disable that in the ini file which will be stashed in your user/documents folder somewhere, I think you can set the upper and lower values for it and a 3rd value to toggle on/off the smoothing. You'll want to search for something like

bSmoothFrameRate=True

and set that to

bSmoothFrameRate=False

Last edited:
It uses the Unreal 3 engine, they have a FPS smooth feature which tries to force the frame rate between 2 values in order to keep it "smooth" or whatever the hell, I don't know what they were thinking, but it blows on every title that's used it.

Should be able to disable that in the in file which will be stashed in your user/documents folder somewhere, I think you can set the upper and lower values for it and a 3rd value to toggle on/off the smoothing. You'll want to search for something like

bSmoothFrameRate=True

and set that to

bSmoothFrameRate=False

True, I'm trying to get a first impression "out-of-box" experience first.

Out of the box I'd say it's a total mess.
While it's not exactly [H] - if something is flat out broken, it might be smarter for them to disable it in the options menu and add it later rather.

What sucks [H] is the DX11 choppiness right now. And the only 4 saved game blocks, for me, that's horrible, I like to make a ton of saved games all along a game as I play, helps me too if I need to go in for screenshots or look at performance. This will make it harder to use this game. Whatever this DX11 performance issue is, its not acceptable. I have AA turned off, just DX11 turned on, and highest settings, and it pauses, and hitches, and stops, its not a good gameplay experience.

Should be able to disable that in the ini file which will be stashed in your user/documents folder somewhere, I think you can set the upper and lower values for it and a 3rd value to toggle on/off the smoothing. You'll want to search for something like

bSmoothFrameRate=True

and set that to

bSmoothFrameRate=False

leave smoothed on true... change minfps = 0 and maxfps = 999. works for almost anything U3, homefront, Bulletstorm, etc.

What sucks [H] is the DX11 choppiness right now. And the only 4 saved game blocks, for me, that's horrible, I like to make a ton of saved games all along a game as I play, helps me too if I need to go in for screenshots or look at performance. This will make it harder to use this game.

If only one of these developer morons stepped away from the noobsticks for a fucking second and actually tried it on a PC... I refuse to use a console for gamin... my kids have that tied up with dance games and other happy gaming bullshit. Real gamers use a fucking PC.

There are subtle differences in DX9 vs. DX11 but not worth the 70+ fps hit. On AMD the game is broken in terms of performance due to tessellation.

Can someone post a screenshot of the game running in DX9 with all settings maxed and a DX11 of the same?

There are subtle differences in DX9 vs. DX11 but not worth the 70+ fps hit. On AMD the game is broken in terms of performance due to tessellation.

AMD is always broken.. thats why I stick with NV now.

If only one of these developer morons stepped away from the noobsticks for a fucking second and actually tried it on a PC... I refuse to use a console for gamin... my kids have that tied up with dance games and other happy gaming bullshit. Real gamers use a fucking PC.

WORD... :cool:

Yep.

What is more disappointing is that Arkham Asylum was actually a fairly decent multi-platform game, they really nailed down the PC side of things tightly, which PROVES beyond a shadow of doubt the development team are fundamentally capable of getting it right, so what's going on here?

We're not going to see a good response in the PC market to new games until they can start releasing them finished and tested.

I'm curious if the AA PC team actually worked on this one. That game was as polished as they come on release day.
This one (considering the engine) is a dismal failure at best.

PrincessFrosty said:
We're not going to see a good response in the PC market to new games until they can start releasing them finished and tested.

Agreed. Too bad they already made their money a month ago on console sales. It probably exceeded their expectations. Why burn a whole bunch of money on pc developement when the money is in the bank. I had high hopes for this game.

Yep.

What is more disappointing is that Arkham Asylum was actually a fairly decent multi-platform game, they really nailed down the PC side of things tightly, which PROVES beyond a shadow of doubt the development team are fundamentally capable of getting it right, so what's going on here?

Did they even ever patch Arkham Asylum for PC? I bought it maybe 9 months after its release for $12 and finally played through it November 2010 and it was awesome. I tweaked nothing except gamepad controls for the menus. Real bummer about Arkham City.

Feels bad, man.

I'll be waiting for DX11 to be fixed before I really get into it.

Brent - what GPU? AMD won't have drivers ready for this game for another 2 weeks...

Test w/ nvidia.

And so what about AMD users, just not worry about people with AMD cards? heh I'm testing with both NV and AMD today, and will relate the gameplay experience on both in our preview today.

AMD does have a driver for this game BTW - http://support.amd.com/us/kbarticles/Pages/Catalyst1111aperformance.aspx

Batman Arkham City

o Improves DirectX 11 performance for single GPU configurations

To be honest, I think most of the issues are game related, this game needs some serious patch work.

Back