Batman AC installs AMD Dual Core Optimizer on intel

What in the actual insanity is this? found it uninstalled it but afraid it might have changed the kernal or something, this is stupid. its not enough i have to open gaming for windows. everytime i play a gow product i regret it dearly.

It doesn't do anything for Intel CPUs or even AMD CPUs other than the first dual cores, and is just junk.

I hate when game installers add third party software without any notification and confirmation, multiple different visual c++ redistributables, directx, dotnet,...already installed and not needed again and yet almost all games add their own, often outdated, versions of them. Fucking annoying.

For Steam games you can trick such installations if you change redistributables installed state from 0 to 1 in the registry editor between game installation and first launch.

I hate when game installers add third party software without any notification and confirmation, multiple different visual c++ redistributables, directx, dotnet,...already installed and not needed again and yet almost all games add their own, often outdated, versions of them. Fucking annoying.

For Steam games you can trick such installations if you change redistributables installed state from 0 to 1 in the registry editor between game installation and first launch.

the visual c++ is annoying but i would leave directx even if its old, its usually installs what the game understands, the game doesnt know about the new versions and the new versions might have done away with the old stuff it needs.

I do wish more Steam games had flags for stuff you already had installed. Some older games even try to install old versions of certain redistributable files.
It's a minor gripe, but something they could do a better job with.
I've gotten into the habit of looking at "Add/Remove Programs" after installing anything these days. Between random adware and bloated extra features, it's becoming more and more necessary.

Generally, if an older game tries to install an older version of something you already have (DX, VC++ ridist), it doesn't actually install anything - it look like it does, but it just verifies the newer content. Some of them will install additional components that are no longer used in newer versions, which is also not bad, as the game might need one of those components.

The AMD dual core opt. did have its place... 5+ years ago. I remember when I upgraded to an Intel C2D and GTA:Vice City would run at super speed. Installing the AMD: DCO fixed it, and it would run perfectly. That's the *only* example I personally have come across, and it was YEARS ago. I highly doubt the dual core optimizer is useful anymore, but it certainly does not harm anything in any way by being installed.

AMD Dual Core Optimizer is for Windows XP only. You can download the latest version and read more about what it does on this page.

Vista and newer are optmized, out of the box, for multi-core processors.

Back