Batch Converting Xvid/Divx to WMV on a Mac

I'm looking for a program that will run on my Mac to convert my backed up dvd collection to WMV from Xvid. I don't know what programs there are to do this on the Mac that are freely available and that support WMV. I do have the full version of Flip4Mac WMV so I can encode in WMV. Right now I have just been doing then slowly by importing the file into Adobe AfterEffects then exporting them to WMV then coming back hours later to repeat with another dvd. Is there any free batch converting programs for the Mac that will convert Xvid to WMV?

ffmpeg is a FANTASTIC commandline converter app and is mac comes with bash you can do something like

for MOVIE in *.avi; do ffmpeg "$MOVIE" "${MOVIE%.avi}.wmv"; done

you can get ffmpeg for MAC iirc

You want to convert an already lossy format video (Xvid) to another lossy codec? You do realize the finished product is going to look like absolute shit, right? :) And WMV? On the Mac? Am I missing something here... :D

I would think it would be easier (seriously) to run XP inside VirtualBox on the Mac and do Xvid to WMV conversion with something like MediaCoder or Super! than it would be to try and locate a WMV transcoder on the OSX platform. It's just not something that most Mac folk care about since - dare I say it - it's a MICROSOFT video format. Ok, there, I said it. :)

While you might have a slight performance hit inside the VM doing the transcoding, I can't for the life of me think of any WMV transcoder (from <xxx> to WMV) that works under OSX natively. Maybe someone else knows of one, we'll find out, I'm sure.

(Ok, so eeyrjmr beat me to it... didn't realize ffmpeg could output WMV content, interesting, will have to look into that...)

The reason I want to do this is because my Mac is the most powerful computer I have in my house and so I wanted to use it to convert my xvids to WMV so I can watch them on my Windows Media Center Extenders that don't support xvid/divx (ex. xbox 360). I wouldn't think it would be that hard to do being as I have already been converting them on my Mac with Flip4Mac and After Effects, but I just wanted it easier to do a batch process.

The reason I want to do this is because my Mac is the most powerful computer I have in my house and so I wanted to use it to convert my xvids to WMV so I can watch them on my Windows Media Center Extenders that don't support xvid/divx (ex. xbox 360). I wouldn't think it would be that hard to do being as I have already been converting them on my Mac with Flip4Mac and After Effects, but I just wanted it easier to do a batch process.

My xbox 360 plays xvid, and if you have a mac just get Connect360 and stream it from your mac. Works like a champ.

My xbox 360 plays xvid, and if you have a mac just get Connect360 and stream it from your mac. Works like a champ.
I'll have to check it out again, because the xvid and divx files were working on my Windows Media Center box and on my Linksys Media Center Extenders, but they wouldn't play on my xbox 360. Hopefully it will work this time around.

Back