Basic question about triple monitor setup

mryerse

2[H]4U
Hey guys been a while since I've posted on these forums and I've been out of the system building practice for a while so I don't know what's possible these days with modern hardware.

Anyway - what I'm interested in setting up is a 3 display workstation connected to a SFF case. One 30" in the middle with two 24's on the sides. I'm thinking two ZR2440W's and a ZR30W.

My question - if I build a SFF system with a dedicated GPU in a mini ITX case such as Lian Li's PC-Q18 will the type of card that will fit in that case support 3 monitors?

I don't feel the need to game on three monitors it's more for work related activities. When I do game I wouldn't mind just using the middle monitor. Although I suppose it would be fun to go with 3 from time to time if the game supports it.

I just hate large computer cases and want to go small this time.

Thoughts?

Many ITX cases will fit a GTX 680, which is plenty for 3 monitor non-gaming and pretty decent for gaming at 2560x1600 as well. I believe the 7970 is slightly larger but will also fit in some ITX cases.

I believe all ITX motherboards only have 1 PCIe slot, so your only "better" option would be a 690, but those are real big. I'd just stick with a 680 if I were you.

Ask over at the Small Form Factor subforum about which cases hold these cards.

It looks like that card has two DVI ports, an HDMI, and a displayport. As I recall, for 2560x1600 you need to use both DVI ports, right? Isn't HDMI limited to 1080p resolution as in won't support 1920x1200? Can displayport support two monitors at 1900x1200?

Also - the 680 is a bit steep. I think I'd go after the high end 660 since it's $200 less.

Edit - nevermind it looks like displayport would be used on the 30" and the DVIs would be used for the 24's.

Last edited:
Back