Basic, Cheap Ultrabook

jaygatsby9

Weaksauce
Everyone here has great ideas for powerful machines. I have an iPad, but without a mouse, it makes it very difficult to write reports for work. So I just need a basic, light machine that will run MS Office, access the net and has a mouse (or at least a touch pad with left and right clicking). I don't want an MS Office equivalent because the formatting gets screwed up, so I'd like something with Win 7.
Any advice is appreciated. Thanks.

From what I've seen, ultrabooks with SSDs will cost more (of course), however a basic one you can still get with a magnetic drive, say 320GB or so. Then you have to decide to go Win 7 or 8, and shop around. Prices have come down a bit, but I think availability of Win 7 ultrabooks is disappearing.

IdeaPad U310 from the Lenovo Outlet maybe? That comes to mind when you mention cheap ultrabook. I'd also suggest the Thinkpad x230 despite not being labelled an Ultrabook.

But what's your price range?

Yeah the "official" rules of an ultrabook kind of rule out "cheap".

But you can get "basically" ultrabooks.

ASUS has one that they sell at Best Buy
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Asus+-+...line/7569053.p?id=1218851719043&skuId=7569053

11" Core i3 w/4gb Ram and a 500gb HDD. It's not an ultrabook, but it's basically the same weight/size as one. And it's $400.

It would depend on your price, but that sounds like it'd fit the bill.

Thanks for the response. The Asus looks perfect if it only had Win 7. Anyone know of anything similar, but with Win 7? I'd like to stay $400 or less.

Windows 8 isn't that bad with a touchscreen like the Asus. Your Windows 7 apps will probably work fine. We havent had any issues. Touch can be useful. I bought a couple and changed to Samsung 7mm ssds for super speed but they are ok with the stock drives. Its easy to create shortcuts on your desktop, but when you install an app you have a shortcut in metro. You can install any browser.

Back