Barton vs Sempron

berky

2[H]4U
I recently purchased a 'bargain' pc (the parts, ... I will build it myself). With it, I got a Sempron64 Socket 754 2600+ and a Biostar K8NHA motherboard. My current machine has an XP 3000+ Barton with an Abit NF7-S V2 motherboard.

My question is thus: Is the new K8 core that much better such that i would get better performance on my current (gaming) machine with the Sempron than I would with the Barton? (ie. which should I use for my gaming machine and which for my daily use machine?)

The Sempron has the onboard memory controller, the Barton has more cache (512KB versus 128KB, I think). From what I heard, those Semprons are pretty darn overclockable. I don't think I could decide...

it really depends on whether you overclock the Sempron.
The 2600 isn't a badass, but if you can get it to the same clock as the Barton...

thanks for the responses.

any other opinions?

i'm thinking the memory controller might help moreso than the faster proc, and like you guys mentioned, i could always try overclocking it.

I don't quite buy that one. Depends on the app. Sempron 2600+ is like 1.6GHz. It isn't a monster.

Given the option of purchasing, I'd get the newest platform. As to which one is faster, plug'em up and lets find out. My money is on a clean split. Overclock the Sempron, it should wipe the floor with the Barton.

ok, i think i'm gonna go w/the sempron and overclock some. thanks everyone for the replies.

berky said:
ok, i think i'm gonna go w/the sempron and overclock some. thanks everyone for the replies.

look at it this way also. If it is a socket 754 or a 939, somtime down the road you can upgrade the proc to an athlon 64. Thats if 754 athlon 64s can still be found.

berky said:
I recently purchased a 'bargain' pc (the parts, ... I will build it myself). With it, I got a Sempron64 Socket 754 2600+ and a Biostar K8NHA motherboard. My current machine has an XP 3000+ Barton with an Abit NF7-S V2 motherboard.

My question is thus: Is the new K8 core that much better such that i would get better performance on my current (gaming) machine with the Sempron than I would with the Barton? (ie. which should I use for my gaming machine and which for my daily use machine?)
I just purchased that same combo ...some Giel? ram a gig stick....you need to flash the bios though if you have an early revision to recognize all the ram....put this in the wifes rig, first thing i did was apply as5 to the stock heasink, set the fsb to the max it would go on that board wich is 250 I believe and booted it up and installed xp pro....been running like that without a hitch for 2 weeks now.Nice budget board there no overclocking probs whatsoever...but you are only gonna get 2ghz max with that 2600 with the fsb limitation and of course no multi adjustment.

Back