Barracuda RBL blocking all emails this morning?

jadams

2[H]4U
Anyone having some issues with their spam filter utilizing Barracuda's RBL? Came into the office today with some reports of email of email being blocked. Checked the logs and I was getting this for every email (not just the one pasted here):

Code:
Jul 30 07:51:52 pfsense postfix/smtpd[97565]: NOQUEUE: reject: RCPT from mail.domain.com[208.105.X.X]: 554 5.7.1 Service unavailable; Client host [208.105.X.X] blocked using b.barracudacentral.org; from=<[email protected]> to=<[email protected]> proto=ESMTP helo=<mail.domain.com>

That netblock is a roadrunner allocation. I would not expect to get mail from that netblock.

blocking cable provider ranges is standard practice to clamp down on spam.

Thanks. thats just one specific instance though. It was blocking everything, even mail from gmail and many other customers.

EDIT: I also ran them through MXTOOLBOX and none of them were blacklisted. Checked them against http://barraucuda.com/reputation and they passed as well.

We saw barracuda randomly block everything many times for no sane reason for 4+ years and it never showed on the repcheck.. That's why we stopped supporting and using it..

Good luck!

Thanks. The two remaining RBL's im using seems to be passing traffic. But according to the logs I think its not being as thurough as Barracuda and some spam is getting through. I think (hope) that the built in exchange anti spam is catching whats left. This is the first I've had the Barracuda RBL do this and its been up and running for about 60 days now.

haha when I need answers fast I usually goto Reddit. There arent too many threads that I dont eventually crostpost.

That being said. Someone suggested that I need to register @ BarracudaCentral.org which I didnt know you had to do. I registered my IP's with them just now. Hopefully that will let me go back to using their RBL again, because its really good.

Thought you guys might like this. So I took the advice of registering over at barracudacentral.org and registering my IP's. Never got the welcome email so i checked logs:

Code:
Jul 30 18:21:18 pfsense postfix/smtpd[76890]: NOQUEUE: reject: RCPT from unknown[64.235.144.160]: 550 5.7.1 Client host rejected: cannot find your hostname, [64.235.144.160]; from=<[email protected]> to=<[email protected]> proto=ESMTP helo=<barracudacentral.org>

You gotta be kidding me...

... You have DNS problems, boss. 64.235.144.160 is a ptr to barracudanetworks.com

Soooo just a heads up it definitly turned out that not having a Barracuda account was the culprit. I wasnt aware you needed one and it worked perfectly for almost 2 months up until today. They must have caught on and shut me down!

After signing up there was no indication that there would be an account confirmation email so I added the RBL back in as soon as I registered my IP's. Turns out I did have to confirm my account so I was in a temporary catch 22.

TL;DR - MAKE SURE YOU REGISTER ON BARRACUDACENTRAL.ORG!!

We're back to no spam as of 3PM today!

Back