Barco LX-5

I work flight simulators that use Barco projectors. Barco makes great stuff but the lamps tend to be very expensive.

I would research the cost of the lamps. Just doing a quick search on that model shows an average cost around $3500-$4000 for a lamp.

Lamp 800W xenon
Lamp lifetime 750h warranted, max 1500h

Um....

So you will be in a room with a 1000 watt heater, and the bulb might be good for 365 starts and the bulb cost $3000 each?

What is wrong with getting a modern 4k projector unless you are really Jones for lcos?

I think you are better off with a Sony VPL-VW350ES vs getting that for $2k and needing 2 bulbs in the next 2 years.

It's for outdoor projection, so heat is not an issue.
I need something under 2K that is great. A friend (who has his own 2000-seat cinema) told me this one was for sale not too far away. Seemed like a great deal. Lamp has 400 hours on it and he got another lamp with 500 hours on it. It used to be 50K+ in 2008. It's also not stolen (he has original invoice and checked S/N with Barco).

What would you recommend for 2K instead? 1080p is ok for me if it is really high quality.

Here is the latest and greatest:
http://www.projectorcentral.com/optoma-hd50-vs-panasonic-ae8000-review.htm

The problem is what your needs are. brightness and throw and lens shift are critical for each setup. You get those wrong and it will look like crap even with a $50k projector.

And i judge projector bulbs (been in the game since 2000) on starts. You can turn on the sucker once a day for 2 years for 15min or 4 hours and get the same amount of service life. A bulb could blow at 800 hours or 6000 hours based on how many times it was turned on.

Modern projectors are good for 3000-4000 hours or about 1500 starts.

If you got 4k content, love lcos, want it BRIGHT, and are looking at only a few hundred hours a year your deal looks great.

However if you are looking to put 1000 hours on it in 2 years and only have a 110" screen you are going to have a bad time.

Finally you need to find what throw you need. For a 120" screen most projectors only have +-7ft of wiggle room tops. So a projector for a church that needs a 30ft throw for 120" is not going to work in a sports pub with a 15ft throw or a home setup thats only 8-10ft. Each one of those setups would require a different projector.

That LX-5 is coming with either a 1:1 lens or an adjustable 1.5-1.9 lens. with the adjustable lens a 120" screen needs to be 4.83m-3.91m away from the projector or it wont fit.

Last edited:
that Barco is also big and heavy.
I'd personally opt for a Panasonic model in your price range.

Back