BANG! Goes the Delidder!

FrgMstr

Just Plain Mean
Staff member
Turn up your audio and hear what it sounds like in person. Just a quick fun video I threw together this weekend while qualifying editor test systems.

A lot louder than I anticipated. What do they use to hold that cap on there?

I just delidded my 3770k after the series of posts on HardOCP here with a 3d-printed tool as referenced in other videos(Made for Ivy Bridge by the same creator). Definitely made quite the pop!

Lol, exactly what I thought it sounded like :) Surprised at how loud and sharp the noise is.

Kyle, have you done a video on proper re-lidding? Took me a 2nd try to get mine right. Harder than de lidding tbh at least for me!

Just watched "Kill Bill Volume 1" yesterday and I've had that song "Bang Bang" from Nancy Sinatra in my head all damned day, so I load up this video just now and when I heard that "BANG" in Kyle's video that song came roaring back to the front of my consciousness. :D

Wow that is Loud.
My question is does Intel not understand that the material they use does not work well???
There should be no reason to Delid the CPU.
AMD? Nope not needed. OOPS I said that.

Wow that is Loud.
My question is does Intel not understand that the material they use does not work well???

Intel doesn't care. Chips run within spec. Just because they are 20C warmer than they need to be means nothing to Intel because they are still WELL within tolerance. Intel cuts costs AND gets the bonus of enthusiasts voiding their warranties on the K series processors by delidding.

Scared me when I was doing this with my 6700k the other day... Sheesh.

Kyle, have you done a video on proper re-lidding? Took me a 2nd try to get mine right. Harder than de lidding tbh at least for me!
"Proper" requires a tool IMO. Otherwise...

Anyone have a recommendation on a good de-lidding tool? Still need to do my 7700k, and I'm on the fence about the razorblade method.

that was someone from amd firing a .22 @ kyle ..and like they always do .. they missed the mark ..so he was relaxed ?

notice he didn't even flinch ?? very cool Kyle

Last edited:
Who says "Thank you" in the end of the video?
Eminem ..... I think it is off "Criminal." I don't really know. I heard it years ago and it came to mind about 6 years ago when I was editing a video and it stuck.

Wow that is Loud.

Planned obsolescence.

Since they are only releasing marginally faster CPU's every year, and a 5-10 year old CPU still does the job, why would you buy a new one.

Well Joe Average won't, unless the internal paste dries out, the CPU starts overheating and spends more and more of its time throttling.

Then - all of a sudden - his old laptop is "slow" and he needs a new one.

Who says "Thank you" in the end of the video?

Old farts lile us I guess... I almost always say thank you at the end of my videos. :p

God, these videos really make me want to pick up a 7700k just to see if I can break 5ghz. I know it's stupid and pointless when my 6700k @ 4.7ghz does all I need, but I just love the idea of that 5ghz number.

Old farts lile us I guess... I almost always say thank you at the end of my videos. :p

God, these videos really make me want to pick up a 7700k just to see if I can break 5ghz. I know it's stupid and pointless when my 6700k @ 4.7ghz does all I need, but I just love the idea of that 5ghz number.

Just did the same thing. 5ghz no go at least for now. I think my TIM is Intels worst job ever. I'm seeing HUGE temp swings of 20C under load on several cores when I get over 4.8ghz and 1.34v. I can boot and start to run stress tests at 1.37-1.38v and 5ghz but temps quickly exceed max and occt shuts down. I think if I delid I may have a shot at 5, but IMO if you aren't prepared to get lucky or delid, save your $

I must be getting old. WTF is this de-lidding thing all about? Is it a Millennial thing?

I meant where'd Kyle get it from lol. I don't listen to Eminem so I didn't know. I assumed he had someone record it for him.

Back