Bang for the buck overclocker?

BMCreider

[H]ard|Gawd
I am not sure if this is entirely appropriate, but I will assume so.

I have an Abit IL9 Pro at the moment, bought my base system on a budget, no overclocking capabilities.

I also only have PC4300 Kingston ValueRam DDR2.

But I do have a C2D 6600 and an eVGA 8800GTS that I can get 675 / 1100 out of. I will be getting a Zalman 9700 soon but I need a reccomendation on a good motherboard well under $200 that will overclock quite well.

I can do without all the fancy features, but Quad Core support would be nice for future upgrading, and any other possible future proofing, but mainly just stable overclocking.

And if you have any ideas for RAM, that'd be good...PC6400 or better I am guessing to keep a 1:1 with the CPU while overclocking, but what kind? I have no clue, again, best bang for buck desired.

Thanks

Check out the conroe overclocking database in the Intel Processor section of these forums. There you will find a list of which cpu/mobo/ram/cooling people are using and the results they are achieving.

as long as you are OK with fairly basic features then it's hard to beat the Gigabyte 965P-S3 & Biostar 965PT in terms of bang for buck.

1 thing that may be useful given your current RAM is 650i's unlinked CPU & memory clocking.

i would go with a 965p motherboard like the gigabyte, asus or biostar with the e4300 because the 965's have much more mature bios . there seems to be some bios issues with the 650 series with the e-4300's--although the nf-650s will get full support for the e-4300 series after a bios update or two.:cool:

The unlinked RAM may be a nice feature...doesn't the Asus P5NE SLI which is ~$150 MSRP, an nForce 650i chipset that is pretty decent?

i would go with a 965p motherboard like the gigabyte, asus or biostar with the e4300 because the 965's have much more mature bios . there seems to be some bios issues with the 650 series with the e-4300's--although the nf-650s will get full support for the e-4300 series after a bios update or two.:cool:

I think I may have put those 2 specs too close together, but my RAM is PC4300 (so says CPU ID, box says PC4200) and my CPU is a Core 2 Duo 6600.

Asus P5NE SLI looks like a nice board! accepts 8GB ram, quad core c2d, and sli

Abit IB9 for $110 @ newegg. I got one and have it up to 333FSB on stock vcore. 3Ghz E4300...

Back