Bang for Buck legacy socket?

What's the best bang for the buck legacy socket?

• Total voters

malicious

Supreme [H]ardness
What do you guys think... if you only had a couple, few hundred bucks to build a budget gaming rig... what socket would you choose and why?

Let's assume parts will be purchased used from the forum.

people still going for am2+ ....

the mobo's for that socket are so FUGLY

The reason why people are going towards AM2+ is that some of the AM2+ boards can support the new Phenom II processors. And the Phenom II's overall performance is such that it can now compete with (though it can't defeat) the Core 2 series -- for a fraction of the price.

The Socket T (or LGA775), as good as it still is, is essentially a dead-end platform. The new Q8-series quad-cores are among the last that Intel will produce for that socket.

I have to agree with Tiraides... Right now the best bang for the buck is AMD (and has been for some time). With the cross compatibility of some of the AM3 processors with AM2+ boards you give yourself more options. I am in the same boat as I am trying to update my aging s939 system with something that will provide better performance for my photo editing now that I have really no longer play games on the comp. C2D seems great but still runs anywhere from $50 - $100 more expensive for the same gear.

so i should only look at AM2+/AM3 boards?

How do I know which boards support Phenom II?

I think I just want to stick to 2 cores since they are so cheap.... I don't think I need tri or quad cores.

In that case can I just do AM2 and an Black Edition AMD X2 to save some money?

You said mostly purchased from the FS/T forum... there's a ton of cheap ass LGA775 gear that I'd pickup and OC to hell. If you were buying new, I'd go with AM2+.

yea i noticed that the FS forum lacks am2 stuff and has a ton of 775 gear ...

ok so now i'm looking at 775 since there is a TON of it cheap used...

so... P35 vs. even older like 680/690?

I don't want to spend more than 50 bucks on the board honestly.

Back