Bandwidth monitoring tools

Discussion in 'Networking & Security' started by Eiolon, Mar 31, 2012.

1. Eiolon

Eiolon Gawd

Over the last few months the speed of our Internet has dropped drastically. I am trying to figure out what it is using our bandwidth up internally. Any suggestions? Paid is fine, and Windows-compatible would be necessary.

2. Jay_2

Jay_2 2[H]4U

how many switches do you have?

If its only a few you could use SNMP on the switches to see what port is using the bandwidth

3. Eiolon

Eiolon Gawd

24 switches, only 6 of them are managed though (Cisco 3560).

4. jjeff1

jjeff1 Limp Gawd

if you have a real router for the Internet, see if it supports netflow. Cisco's will do it, netgear won't. Nor will most firewalls.

http://www.manageengine.com/products/netflow/

Otherwise, you can mirror your switch port that connects to the internet router/firewall and fire up wireshark and look at the top talkers.

5. JohnYYC

JohnYYC [H]Lite

6. Electrofreak

Electrofreak [H]ard|Gawd

These.

I tell enterprise IT guys to do this stuff all the damn time. You'd be surprised the number of people that call their carrier because of internal LAN issues.

I'm working with a guy right now who says he's positive that something is causing broadcast storms on his LAN but he's been asking us to run top-talkers on our managed router when the incident happens. Problem is, he's offsite and his onsite staff always just go and flip the switch for the entire network rack as soon as it happens. Every single time he calls up and I have to drop everything to get into our router, I find it with a handful of minutes of uptime and no problem found. I've tried steering him towards port mirroring and wireshark but he doesn't have ANY managed switches, and he can't be bothered to buy a hub. This is one of those situations where I really should be charging a consultation fee...

7. MikeTrike

MikeTrike [H]ardness Supreme

Is your router or switches netflow capable?

Check out PRTG
    http://www.paessler.com/prtg

It can also do standard port monitoring as well. But it can do quite a bit more.