Bandwidth Monitoring software?

Hey guys, Im running into issues with Comcast and want to monitor my bandwidth reliability and easily. I see lots out there, the thing is I use Netflix and Xbox 360/PS3 on occasion so Id like it to capture that data stream as well. Any lighter weight monitors you could suggest that would do this?

If its not possible, could you still give some suggestions for software to use
Thanks!

can you track it through your modem? some have that ability built in

DU Meter works fine on a per machine basis. If you need something to capture bandwidth across a specific wire for all machines, I'll defer to others...

BTW my modem is Moto SBG900 (having the modem do wireless and routing) and using a Linksys switch to add ports for Xbox and PS3

Ahh OK, only asked because some home routers support 3rd party firmware such as DD-WRT or Tomato which has features such as bandwidth tracking. I'm not overly familiar with the web interface of that model Moto, so I don't know if it has a feature such as that built into it.

My quick googling is saying it has support for SNMP. Can you give me a brief overview on how Id get Cacti on there? This is all so new to me. Thanks

Look into CactiEZ. Hopefully you have a little *nix knowledge, but there should be enough google support to help out.

Cacti simply polls the devices you tell it at 5 minute (default) intervals, tracking input and output, and total bandwidth. It is important to note that because of the 5 minute resolution, you'll only have peaks that are an average of that 5 minute period - however total bandwidth used will be accurate.

After you have CactiEZ setup (probably in a VM), first you'll need to set the community strings on the router. Public/Read Only is all you need. Then in cacti, add the device, choosing generic snmp-enabled host as it's type. Upon creation it will query the device for the interfaces you can graph. Then create a graph from that device. Choose the internet facing interface, and the In/Out Bytes(or bits) with Total Bandwidth. That will begin graphing the interface starting with the next poll cycle (i.e. wait 5-10 minutes for graph to appear). Then you need to put the graph on the graph tree. Choose your graph, and choose place on tree.

Cacti will graph practially anything that supports snmp, like disk usage, logged on users, etc.

Sorry if I've left anything out or my post doesn't make sense - I eating my lunch as I type :)

Back