Bandwidth monitoring for network

jasonlitka

2[H]4U
I'm currently having some bandwidth issues at work and haven't been able to track down what machine (read: user) is the problem.

Can anyone suggest an app that I can stick on a machine with two network cards sitting between my router and switches? I've got an extra Windows box sitting here but Linux apps are fine, I'll have my assistant reinstall if necessary. Graphs aren't necessary but would be nice. All I'm really looking for is a table of IP addresses and how much data they've transfered over the past 24 hours (or some other reasonable period). Web accessible reporting would also be nice but is not required.

It's not quite what you're looking for out of the box (but close), but Cacti will do most of those things and is pretty easy to set up. You don't even need two NICs.

DU meter... to monitor the nics.

as for to whom and how much, thats a bit of a tough one.
but if you find one, please tell us, im also interested.

oh yes, DU meter can give an hourly report.
so if you can track when someone is on a machine, youll know

It's not quite what you're looking for out of the box (but close), but Cacti will do most of those things and is pretty easy to set up. You don't even need two NICs.

I just took a look at that and it says it relies on an external script or SNMP to gather data. Not all my switches support SNMP monitoring per port so what kind of external script would I use?

DU meter... to monitor the nics.

as for to whom and how much, thats a bit of a tough one.

I already know how much bandwidth I'm using at the edge as I'm monitoring the WAN ports on my router via SNMP. What I don't know is how much of that is attributable to each user. Can DUMeter break down traffic on a NIC Bridge based on source IP?

What you are looking for is a bandwidth manager. I am still shopping trying to find a solid bandwidth management device with all the features I desire. If you come accross any, be sure to post about it here.

I'm currently having some bandwidth issues at work and haven't been able to track down what machine (read: user) is the problem.

Can anyone suggest an app that I can stick on a machine with two network cards sitting between my router and switches? I've got an extra Windows box sitting here but Linux apps are fine, I'll have my assistant reinstall if necessary. Graphs aren't necessary but would be nice. All I'm really looking for is a table of IP addresses and how much data they've transfered over the past 24 hours (or some other reasonable period). Web accessible reporting would also be nice but is not required.

Sounds like you're looking for Cacti with the Netflow plugin.

This is very close to what I need to be able to do. I checked out the Cacti site but just about cant make heads nor tails of it.

you could also install astaro or untangle on that box and run it in transparent proxy mode. both have web-based management and reporting. You can see who your offenders are and then throttle them accordingly. :)

Back