bandwidth monitoring / control needed.

i work at a small non-profit.

we need software or affordable hardware that can monitor the bandwidth that each computer is using and set limits for each computer, or pool of ip addresses or something..

we have a cisco layer 2 firewall, i guess that can't do it. the DHCP is being managed by a 2k3 server.. so this is proably where would have to install some software..

somethign that can be had for cheap from techsoup is a plus.

Firewalls gnerally work at layer 3 and up.

Are you wanting to throttle bandwidth on the internal network, or throttle access to the internet?

You could implement QoS inside of the network, but that will only affect internal performance. You need a device that can prioritize outbound traffic. Many of the Linux firewall distros can do this in some fashion. IPCop has an Advanced QoS mod. I just use the prioritization fetures of Endian. A Cisco PIX does not have nay QoS features. I'm an not sure about the ASA line of firewalls. But either way, the only "cheap" solution I can think of would be to use a Linux firewall in addtion (in front of or behind) the Cisco firewall, or replace it completely.

MorfiusX said:
You could implement QoS inside of the network, but that will only affect internal performance. You need a device that can prioritize outbound traffic. Many of the Linux firewall distros can do this in some fashion. IPCop has an Advanced QoS mod. I just use the prioritization fetures of Endian. A Cisco PIX does not have nay QoS features. I'm an not sure about the ASA line of firewalls. But either way, the only "cheap" solution I can think of would be to use a Linux firewall in addtion (in front of or behind) the Cisco firewall, or replace it completely.

ASA does do QoS. Another option is to buy a packshaper box like a netenforcer or packetshaper. Google them.

Back