Bandwidth limiting on home router?

only1brian

Limp Gawd
Currently have been experiencing "lag" issues while im gaming and my other 3 roomates are downloading.

We currently are using a Belkin G MIMO router.

Is there a way to limit (by IP or MAC) the amount of bandwidth each IP/MAC uses?

Ive gone through the GUI on the router, and havent come across anything such.
or, if there is another home use router someone can recommend that will do such, thatd be great.

Not usually, those features would be a QoS type stuff you get on more commercial high end routers.

Linksys WRT54G v3 with DDWRT firmware gets that kind of capability.
Can limit bandwidth per switch port
Can limit priority per switch port, or per MAC, or per IP, or per IP protocol (supports some packet shaping I think using L7 filters)

Not sure how *good and effective* it is at these tasks though.

Alternatively, setup a spare computer, with a couple of large harddrive. Remote desktop, and all you guys use the same system for your downloads, with one upload cap at like 15KV or something that doesn't hurt your latency. Most lag on home broadband connections, especially on cable connections, is maxing out your upstream bandwidth, not so much the downstream in my experiences anyway.

Chances are your belkin does not support OoS. If you have an old computer lying around with 2 ethernet cards, this would be the perfect situation for IPCOP, m0n0wall etc. If you dont want to go that route, have everyone cap uploads at something reasonable (go to speedtest.net and test your connection, divide the result by 3 then again by 8) and cap max connections to 100 or so.

If you want to buy a new router, I would reccomend the higher end D-Links (DIR-655, DGL-4500), Linksys WRT54GL flashed to tomato, Asus WL-520G/gU, WL500 flashed to tomato, or any other router that you can find that will take a full version of Tomato.

Back