Bandwidth Caps Around the World Compared To US

This article is full of retarded strawmen:

Why would any of us move to one of the two or three developed nations that are worse than the U.S. when there's dozens that are better?

Erm, I was considering emigrating there from the UK as the South Island is so beautiful. Came back from a 2 month trip there a few weeks ago
However, I need my bandwidth.

Hope that clarifies things

I think mine is 15/6 for $30 a month with a 250gb cap (guess what ISP I have!). I feel like its a decent enough deal for what I put mine through. I just reinstalled most the games I play on Steam plus my netflix use and PS3 downloads, I hit 50% of my cap within a week of the first month.

The best I could get is 15 down, 1 up, no caps, for about $65 per month.
As it is, I'm at 5 DL 768k up, with a cable/phone/internet package for $136 per month, including tax, no caps.

10Mbps down 512kbps up no cap 28$. Don't really upload stuff much so not really worried. If I really cared, I could upgrade to 15Mbps down 1Mbps up no cap for 33$

8 Mbps down, 1 Mbps up, 30GB/mo NZ$50
NZ! the winner of overpriced broadband with crappy cap limit

20 down, 4 up through Comcast. Better and more reliable than the other alternative, AT&T in my area.

I'm getting 25-30 Mbit down, 1 Mbit up. I'd prefer more upload speed for when I do the occasional large transfer. I don't know of any bandwidth cap, but I don't stream or torrent so I'd never hit one anyway.

10/1 in Idaho with CableOne @ 53 /mo.

This is the best package cableone has ever offered imo. Currently though they do have a 50mbit plan for about the same cost, but its got a 50gb a mo limit & then 50 cents a gig after. And as much as I want the speed I am not willing to deal with the cap since I blow way way way over 50 now. My billing cycle is the 1st to the 1st & currently I have used 180gb just over half way through.

Hell if I had to re download my steam library it would send me over & still cost an extra 75 bucks or so.

In Malaysia (a third world country in Asia), it's USD$30 for 1Mbps download speed. No data capping limit.

5/1 or whatever that cableone offers for $43, no caps though.

just finished testing 22/5 Mbit for 10 a month looks like they capped my speed but no cap on the amount of gb i can down

I think everyone in the U.S. should just get business class internet connections. You get unlimited bandwidth, and preferred bandwidth so usually higher speeds than the average Joe. You also don't have a bandwidth cap. I usually get 35-45mb down, and 3-5mb up and I pay $70 a month.

There is an easy way to not get cease and desist letter -

STOP BEING A SHACK FU'ing PIRATE

99 bux comcast biz. advertised is 50/10, speedtest shows me 100/20. who knows, im fuckin happy tho. no caps.

I pay for the Ultra tier from Comcast which is normally like 22/5, but in my area they are experimenting with a new speed tier so I got bumped up. I get sustained download speeds @ 33-35 mbit/sec and sustained upload speeds around 11 mbit/sec. I still have the 250GB cap which sucks really bad btw. Honestly IMO it should be no less than 750GB because alot of the files I deal with in my line of work are upwards of 30GB each. I create high definition interactive construction blueprints.

60 bucks 60//60 HDTV + VOIP.

this is unlimited, no filtering, 60//60 + the HDTV all over fiber.
Europe, more spec. scandinavia, publicly avaible all over the east, and 50% west, as far as I know , don't know bout south/north

Sweeden got better offers, and they are what pushed us to get it.

Why is there commentary in the OP that discusses line speed when the article is clearly about data caps? That's awfully confusing as demonstrated by some of the replies.

Looking at some of those it seems very good value for money compared to us in the UK. For £29.99 a month we were limited to 60GB peak hours (8am-12am) with a relatively good value ISP. Just switched to an "unlimited" ISP, but it remains to be seen how "unlimited" it really is.

Not that it matters much, our line is so old and crappy we top out at 4mb/s downstream anyway.

$57/mo (own my modem) for 16/2 from Comcast w/ a 250GB limit.

It tends to fair a bit better than 16 down as I can get a bit over 2MB/s if directly connected (over wifi I'm getting 1.8-1.9MB/s with my router being on a different floor).

I don't come close to our bandwidth cap... looks like over the past few months it has ranged from 25GB-75GB (75GB being now that I have Netflix)

time warner LA and i pay $36 a month for about 35/1 the uploads suck but no cap and no TV :) Since I watch a lot of shows through itunes and streamed I'm sure if their was a cap I'd have gone through by now.

Why is there commentary in the OP that discusses line speed when the article is clearly about data caps? That's awfully confusing as demonstrated by some of the replies.

Shhhh, you might get banned for pointing that out.

I'm currently on Shaw Broadband 100.
100Mbit down
5Mbit up
I get 500GB of data per month
this package is $69.99 + cable (needs to be bundled for this price)
it can but upgrade to 750GB for $10 more (79.99 + cable)
or I can even go up to unlimited data for $60 more. (129.99 + cable)

There are also plenty of other options available.
1Mbit lite $27.00 + cable
1Mbit lite unlimited 59.99 + cable
7.5Mbit high speed 39.99 + cable
25Mbit Extreme $29.99 for 6 months, then $49.99 + cable
50Mbit Broadband 50 $29.99 for 3 months, then 59.99 + cable
and starting in August they will be rolling out broadband 250 area by area for an 18month period of upgrades. Anyone with Broadband 100+ (750GB) will automatically be bumped to this as it becomes available in their area.

This is what they changed it to after the decision to go with UBB back in January backfired.
The customer base scared the shit out of the execs at Shaw Communications and forced them to realize they can only milk so much money out of their customers before people start to leave.
A happy customer keeps paying their bills. A pissed off customer cancels services.

Back