Ban On Monthly Internet Access Taxes In Danger

HardOCP News

[H] News
The U.S. senator behind the push to extend the temporary ban on state and local Internet access says that the effort to renew the ban may fail. If the tax moratorium expires in November your internet bill will no longer be immune to added taxes.

Sen. Ron Wyden said he fears that lobbyists for state and local governments and their powerful allies in Washington will stymie efforts by Internet and telecommunications companies and free-market groups to make the ban permanent--or even to renew it again.

Sigh.

I wonder how much they would push to tax the internet and its goods untill it can no longer bear it?

currently I am paying $45 a month for a 15mb line and thats including the taxes, but I wouldn't be suprised to se it go to $60 from an increase in taxes

Seriously, politicians need to stop "Licking their lips" for potential cash and learn how the fuck to spend money a little more carefully. I'm not even going to go on a political rant about the current whitehouse admin's spending policy, but seriously more taxes = more spending, stop it for christ sakes. I remember when hybrids started to come out in force we'd hear of "per mile" taxes instead of "per gallon" because lawmakers are worried about their money coming in. Need to realize more money does not equal less problems, especially when you request a $50 million bridge to an island with less than 100 people on it.

Its not just the White House admins, its just the goverment in general. Go and look up how much money is wasted on things like potato research

There will always people who love their money and are never satisfied with what they have. All we can do is choose to be different. Maybe if enough of us choose to be different then our leaders will have no option but to adapt to our ways. Yeah right.

taxing the internet is a regressive tax and in this instance, regressive = bad. The same politicians who are obsessed with us keeping up with the rest of the world technologically are holding us back. How many times have you heard that a large portion of the US is not on the internet? Taxing internet sure as hell is not going to get those people who have not come over yet to adopt.

I think if we all vote the opposite that they vote on this bill we'll be a happier bunch of people. :cool:

"Government's view of the economy could be summed up in a few short phrases: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it."

-Ronald Reagan

"Government's view of the economy could be summed up in a few short phrases: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it."

-Ronald Reagan

Simple, elegant, and so very true.

Back