BAMT or similar for Folding @ Home ?

ClockerXP

Gawd
Hello -

Back when I was into mining, I loved using BAMT. Setup was so simple, fast, easy, and FREE.

Is there anything similar to BAMT that I could just run off of a USB stick for Folding, with a single GTX 970 GPU (no plan to use the weak CPU I have to Fold)?

Thanks,
CxP

One challenge would be the EULA from Stanford to use only the software from their homepage. I think there was one Linux distribution (forgot which one) which, with agreement from Stanford, had an alternative installer (but still eventually downloaded from the desired source).

i would suggest to use a minimal Linux (I'm happy with CentOS 7), get the graphic driver right, and start folding.

I would suggest you try the [H] Ubuntu appliance.
http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1769083

It's based on Ubuntu 12.04 LTS (long-term support). I still use it on all my new hosts as a base, then I manually install the latest nvidia driver and Ubuntu updates. I've run it from USB sticks, single and mirrored hard drives without issues.

I never thought about running off a USB Stick.. can Windows be installed on and booted from a USB stick?

We tried Windows To Go in our company. Those USB sticks run hot like hell and failed. Eventually we gave up. Technically it worked, but not sustainable. 24/7 folding, would be interesting to see how long the USB stick would do it. Maybe the main reason for failure was the swap file. As long the main memory is enough and avoid swapping it might work better.

That might save me a little money on the next FAH rig since I don't have to buy an HDD. 32G usb sticks are cheap. Like under $10 cheap.

If you were local, I would give you old HDD (spinners)... I wouldn't purchase a drive for DC projects.

If you were local, I would give you old HDD (spinners)... I wouldn't purchase a drive for DC projects.

The last rig I put together I ended up buying a cheap 250G hdd from one of newegg's third party sellers for around $25 I think. Windows + F@H is using less than 30G of that with two 970s on it. :eek:

I wonder if I could boot from my NAS. That would be awesome.

As brilong said, either the [H] appliance or zorin 9, I've got that working without issue

Back