Baldur's Gate and Badur's Gate II Enhanced Edition officially just announced

Infinity engine source code, huh? Pretty impressive that's managed to not get lost to the sands of time as so much source code seems to.

I'll gladly pay for both in order to play these at my preferred resolution. Day 1 purchase I think.

Source code access is a good sign.

Modders have done a lot with original BG1/2. My install runs BG1 in the BG2 engine (BG2 classes available, BG2 graphics, etc). A lot of quality-of-life improvements too like enhanced monster AI and stacking arrows. Hopefully that sort of thing makes it into the BGEE.

Source code access is a good sign.

Modders have done a lot with original BG1/2. My install runs BG1 in the BG2 engine (BG2 classes available, BG2 graphics, etc). A lot of quality-of-life improvements too like enhanced monster AI and stacking arrows. Hopefully that sort of thing makes it into the BGEE.

I'll buy it no matter what but I do hope things like that get put it. Also hope the modders come back and make their mods compatible with the new system. There were so many good mods out for these games.

Considering my love for RPGs, its almost embarrassing to say I have never played BGI and only played maybe 25% of BGII. I think I will definitely be picking these up.

I'm definitely going to buy it. Apparently they might even make old save games work in this one.
Somewhere on one of my old back-up CD's I have a save with all of the stat books, crazy weapons, pantaloons, etc.

My funniest moment playing BG1 came during a replay a few years ago.

Playing a Wild Mage (BG2 class) inside the kobold cave of BG1. Level 1 or 2.

Cast Sleep on kobolds. Wild surge! Wild mages could have their spells backfire, usually a harmless effect or a misfire. Sometimes something truly terrible happened.

A giant ornate bone portal to hell opens and a demon came out and devoured everyone. Kobolds, my party, everyone. GG, baldurs gate.

Indeed the younger generation of gamer doesn't very much like thinking, though I'm not sure why.

I'll probably buy this given they do not dumb it down.

Yeah and god forbid you have to actually read what is going on as opposed to a voice over.

It's a shame that at the time, I was not a big RPG gamer. In fact I did not really like the genre. I never played or bought BG1, but I did buy BG2 and played maybe like 1/2 hour lol.

So for me, I will be buying these for sure, as they have been regarded as some of the best RPGs of all time.

I have both BG+BGII installed right now, I still have a 19" CRT on another 2 PCs for legacy gaming so they still look good to me with that monitor. It's when you try to play them on an LCD they look crap.

It's a shame that at the time, I was not a big RPG gamer. In fact I did not really like the genre. I never played or bought BG1, but I did buy BG2 and played maybe like 1/2 hour lol.

So for me, I will be buying these for sure, as they have been regarded as some of the best RPGs of all time.

They really are pretty wonderful...and huge. By the end of the 2nd game, you're almost literally a deity complete with those zany high-level spells and abilities few D&D players ever really get to us. I think this can hopefully bring the series to a new generation. Short of killing a Terrasque, you pretty much run the gambit of epic enemies, too.

They really are pretty wonderful...and huge. By the end of the 2nd game, you're almost literally a deity complete with those zany high-level spells and abilities few D&D players ever really get to us. I think this can hopefully bring the series to a new generation. Short of killing a Terrasque, you pretty much run the gambit of epic enemies, too.

Yes, they are really a scope unlike any other. Baldurs Gate 2 is just such a huge huge huge game. At 30 years old, I dont know when I'll ever have time to play through it again. For most, they will be tough to pickup as you cant just sit and play an hour here or there very easily. I can completely understand why some never played them as most of us had our chance when we were younger and had a lot more free time than disposable income and responsibilities.

Anyway, I will be interested to see if they have any relation with the modding community as this is a for-profit venture. The fans of the series are so fanatical they may fully support lending out their efforts even if it is at the benefit of another simply to make a better product. Probably in the top 5 modding communities for any games.

Baldurs Gate 2 is just such a huge huge huge game. At 30 years old, I dont know when I'll ever have time to play through it again. For most, they will be tough to pickup as you cant just sit and play an hour here or there very easily. I can completely understand why some never played them as most of us had our chance when we were younger and had a lot more free time than disposable income and responsibilities.

A good point. I probably spent a good 400 hours on BG2 when I was younger and first got the game, but I had nowhere near the responsibilities or time commitments to life that I do now. Trying to get back into BG2 is hard, simply because I know that to do it properly, I'd be spending a good couple of hundred hours on it. Dragon Age: Origins was probably the last game I played to that extent, and even then I maxed out at 150 hours.

looking forward to this one. The original was very fun but I only just scratched the surface of it.

I have both BG+BGII installed right now, I still have a 19" CRT on another 2 PCs for legacy gaming so they still look good to me with that monitor. It's when you try to play them on an LCD they look crap.

Looks better than Dragon Age, any day.

20sduh1.jpg

Looks better than Dragon Age, any day.

20sduh1.jpg

Yeah. Graphics are just beautiful thanks to being 2D. Full freedom to artist without worrying about giving the 3D modeler a heartattack... :D

Baldurs Gate II+TOB are easily one of my favourite RPGs around. I just wonder, will they be updating the D&D rules? I hope so, because I SUCK at D&D and to this day I do not still fully comprehend AD&D (which makes me wonder even more why I love the game so damn much, but I just do). Not to mention millions of different spells whos actual usability is rather questionable... I still consider wizards least useful in the game other than for Breaching and Piercing immunities.

Did I mention I really suck at D&D? :D

Yeah. Graphics are just beautiful thanks to being 2D. Full freedom to artist without worrying about giving the 3D modeler a heartattack... :D

Baldurs Gate II+TOB are easily one of my favourite RPGs around. I just wonder, will they be updating the D&D rules? I hope so, because I SUCK at D&D and to this day I do not still fully comprehend AD&D (which makes me wonder even more why I love the game so damn much, but I just do). Not to mention millions of different spells whos actual usability is rather questionable... I still consider wizards least useful in the game other than for Breaching and Piercing immunities.

Did I mention I really suck at D&D? :D

Baldur's Gate is just awesome, regardless of being a D&D game. When I think of my fond memories of the game, those memories have nothing to do with rulesets.

Baldur's Gate is just awesome, regardless of being a D&D game. When I think of my fond memories of the game, those memories have nothing to do with rulesets.

Indeed. Played the game through several times. It truly deserves a title classic. If they remake the game they better do it justice.

With 2-3 wizards you're OP. If you haven't mastered wizards it's time for a replay!

I never really finished BG. I loved the game, and I would play it for weeks on end. But... it's one of those games where I would just get lost in the beauty of it, and just mess around with everything instead of following quests.

i never played the origionals even tho its my fav genre so im going to have to give the enhanced editions a play

Baldurs Gate II+TOB are easily one of my favourite RPGs around. I just wonder, will they be updating the D&D rules? I hope so, because I SUCK at D&D and to this day I do not still fully comprehend AD&D (which makes me wonder even more why I love the game so damn much, but I just do).

No, they won't change the rules. What I've read is that they're making the graphics and UI more friendly to modern-day systems. To understand the rules better, read this:

http://www.gamefaqs.com/pc/75251-baldurs-gate/faqs/8566

That FAQ explains certain things about AD&D rules for BG and BG2 that I have not seen explained anywhere else.

No, they won't change the rules. What I've read is that they're making the graphics and UI more friendly to modern-day systems. To understand the rules better, read this:

http://www.gamefaqs.com/pc/75251-baldurs-gate/faqs/8566

That FAQ explains certain things about AD&D rules for BG and BG2 that I have not seen explained anywhere else.
Dan Simpson is the king of the Infinity Engine. That man left no stone unturned.

I can’t recall if it was BG2 or Icewind Dale 2, but they changed the thief backstab into a sneak attack to coincide with D&D 3rd edition at some point.
That change made your rogue character go from an archer or occasional battlefield assistant into a dealer of death pretty fast.
You could lay down a boatload of high level traps and cloak your rogue off to the side while luring enemies into your traps with a warrior. Once they hit your traps, flank ‘em with the rogue and watch carnage ensue.
I’ve always been a rogue-centric player and that minor change really made a pretty big impact.
Thinking back, I’d love an Icewind Dale remake, too. Those games were like a battle-sim version of BG. The 2nd game was rough!

I can’t recall if it was BG2 or Icewind Dale 2, but they changed the thief backstab into a sneak attack to coincide with D&D 3rd edition at some point.
That change made your rogue character go from an archer or occasional battlefield assistant into a dealer of death pretty fast.
That was IWD2, which used 3rd edition rules.

A high level Thief in BG2 was a very powerful character. I would do a Fighter/Thief dual-class (for the added THAC0 & weapons). I would Hide in Shadows, then walk up behind enemies and 1-hit critically kill enemies via backstab multiplier and good weapons. I loved it when NPC's exploded :D I could go around clearing maps with 1 character and never be seen. The high level Hide in Shadows was almost a guaranteed instant invisibility. I also had a Paladin that I used that had the +2 regen ring and an item that granted a protective shield around him (can't remember what it's called). With the Holy Avenger (+5) I could clear entire maps with just him.

Oh man, I will order as soon as any place lets me give them my money. Found my original collector's edition BG2 while cleaning the attic last month. Still got the bonus CD (which if I remember correctly did nothing but set a flag in a human-readable file which indicated you had access to whatever extras were supposedly unique to the CE) and soundtrack. Never completed the original BG, as I spent so much time making and playing characters up to level 4 or 5, but played BG2 and ToB at least 4-5 times through with different characters. Really looking forward to this.

Oh man, I will order as soon as any place lets me give them my money. Found my original collector's edition BG2 while cleaning the attic last month. Still got the bonus CD (which if I remember correctly did nothing but set a flag in a human-readable file which indicated you had access to whatever extras were supposedly unique to the CE) and soundtrack.
Yeah, Ribald Barterman's Secret Stock near your starting location in Athkatla had the extra items that were very high priced. The vendor was a female. There were mods to unlock that stuff though without the CD.

This video
shows some of the items.

Last edited:
I remember loving these games.... I got stuck on the BG2 expansion though..... eventually came to a big dragon that consistently owned me and I could not get past it. Two wing flaps and party dead, no spells would work on it, and it just crushed what I thought was my badass tank as well as my dual wielder.....

The key to beating any dragon in BG2 was always your mages (mages were generally to just about any fight in the game, really). You could fill a Spell Trigger with three Lower Resistances ahead of time and fire that at the dragon in the opening round of battle. By the time you get to ToB, each Lower Resistance negates something like 30% magic resistance or something, so one Trigger was enough to completely eliminate any dragon's MR, leaving it wide open to a follow-up Dragon's Breath, Comet, or Abi-Dalzim's Horrid Wilting. You could be even more unfair and cast Chain Contingency during the battle, set it to cast at the nearest enemy as soon as it was sighted, and then fill it with three Abi-Dalzim's Horrid Wiltings. This would of course immediately trigger, and cause 60d8 points of damage to the dragon, killing it instantly. I was able to end several of the dragon fights in all of 10 seconds this way.

Back