Baldurs Gate 3 - Official Discussion Thread (2019)

That's generally what people do. Early access is simply a preorder that comes with an alpha/beta test.

Yet some people still complain (nobody here) that "I feel ripped off. I can't believe they charge $60 for this'.

But then people have zero issues paying full price for a preorder. I guess you can cancel a preorder, but you could also get a refund on an EA granted you didn't play it for too long.

Or just do what I did. *Download* a copy, check it out for a couple hours, then delete it and say "okay, I like what's here. I'll check it out when it gets released."

I don't do EAs either, but I do want to try a demo.

The whole concept annoys me. I supported them because I'm a huge fan of the old games. I didn't know what this whole "early access" thing was all about. Now that I do, I'll never do it again. Episodic gameplay that is still beta-quality? Nah. I won't even mess with it until it's the full game.
Same. I was hoping the bump was about a release, finally. I'm not paying to be a beta tester.

Yeah, it's Baldurs Gate. Is it an improvement over the originals? Well that is still out because it isn't finished

I've had this game installed on my PC for 2 years and still refuse to mess with it until it's a finished game. I'm never going to do this "early access" nonsense again. I figured I was just beta testing an unpolished game. Instead I paid full price for a game that only had like 25% of the story complete. Now it's not going to be finished until 2023. Even if I did decide to play it as a serial game, every major update breaks your saves. Fuck that noise.

I've had this game installed on my PC for 2 years and still refuse to mess with it until it's a finished game. I'm never going to do this "early access" nonsense again. I figured I was just beta testing an unpolished game. Instead I paid full price for a game that only had like 25% of the story complete. Now it's not going to be finished until 2023. Even if I did decide to play it as a serial game, every major update breaks your saves. Fuck that noise.
This is exactly why I don't do early access. 3D Realms is even worse, giving us no idea whatsoever when they expect their games to be finished, and going for long periods of time before even communicating updates.

Yeah, lets just say I'll never trust Larian again. I'd had a pretty decent experience with Divinity OS2 but I let that cloud my judgment. I've also gotten tired of the frequent full reinstalls of 60GB or more every few months.

I think eventually everyone gets burned by a early access game. PUBG was it for me. Not only will I heavily scrutinize any early access title I may consider buying, I know I won't buy anything from that dev in the future.

I think it depends on the ea - some ea are about steady release of new content - releasing new chapters as time passes - with larain it is all about testing mechanics and not about area development. They prefer to hold back the areas while they play with game mechanics (during ea). BG3 was particularly challenging since they had to (or wanted) to stick by the dnd mechanics while adapting it to a more modern platform. With something like DOS:2 they were developing their own mechanics but they did not have any bounds. The headache is a lot of people buying EA expect to incremental get further in their adventure while with larian's game you just get the same area with new mechanics (which gets rather boring after a while).

I am kinda pissed about the collectors edition now being available when I paid $$ already to be part of early access

It's about damn time that this game finally exits early access. It was my first and only foray into early access and I refuse to play it until it's a "real" game. I thought it was just a beta test, but instead it's like the worst type of episodic gaming imaginable. Even if you want to play it, your saves break with every update.

It's about damn time that this game finally exits early access. It was my first and only foray into early access and I refuse to play it until it's a "real" game. I thought it was just a beta test, but instead it's like the worst type of episodic gaming imaginable. Even if you want to play it, your saves break with every update.
The focus of these 'early access' by larian studio is to test systems; they usually provide the first area and very little content update but change the system to test multiple things. This also means the first section of the game on release will be the cleanest and there will be many patches to fix bugs in later sections of the game. They do this so that people aren't 'spoiled' by the story content prior to release of the game; and to allow them to fine tune and tweak basic game play mechanics that are relevant to the entire game. Is it a good way to do early access? Well that is up to the customer to decide ;)

Sadly they do not provide discount or other direct benefits to early access 'testers' other than using their feedback to tweak mechanics.

That's exactly why I won't buy another early access game.
Always a good call. I bought 1 game on EA and got burnt. Never again. When the EA for this game came out, I sailed the seven seas to try it for half an hour then deleted it. Just waiting for the actual game to come out now.

Baldur's Gate 3- Release Date Reveal Trailer

Baldur's Gate 3 is coming to PC and PS5 on August 31, 2023

Larian also announced that actor J.K. Simmons will be playing General Ketheric Thorn, one of its main antagonists and "a seemingly invincible necromancer leading an army of the dead toward the city of Baldur's Gate"...BG3 will have full Mac-PC-PS5 crossplay at launch...

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1086940/view/3640634026230039737

Will this game be good or a flop i guess only time will tell...

Who is this guy?

tenor.gif

I'm kinda surprised this is the first time the Xbox Series S (and MS's policies regarding support for it) has caused an issue. Either way, I'm just glad there's finally an end in sight for this damned game. Hopefully it partially lives up to expectations. The original games were lightning in a bottle, but I'd at least appreciate if this game can capture some of what made them great.

I'm kinda surprised this is the first time the Xbox Series S (and MS's policies regarding support for it) has caused an issue. Either way, I'm just glad there's finally an end in sight for this damned game. Hopefully it partially lives up to expectations. The original games were lightning in a bottle, but I'd at least appreciate if this game can capture some of what made them great.
The Series S is weaker than the Xbox One X, so it's not surprising.

Yeah, its Divine Divinity, with a Baldurs Gate sticker.
To me that's 100% improvement. My big criticism of 1/2 and games like KOTOR is that they were RPG's that I wasn't able to control 100% of the actions of the characters.
At best in KOTOR you can queue, but real control would've been playing all of my followers and full granular control.

I get why some prefer real time, they find making those decisions tedious and want battle to start and finish while only having to focus on a single character. I question why bother even playing/making a game with RPG mechanics then. To me, you may as well make the game an FPS with followers and cut the pretense. Or in the case of Balduar's Gate just go all the way to an action RPG like Diablo or PoE (and Diablo 3 actually figured this out by pulling back skill trees and stat points, because honestly it's just skills and attacks at that point - and that is a more honest/pure game).

Anyway, /opinions. No matter what they did someone wouldn't be happy. "It should be made by bioware!" "it should use the original engines!" "it's not the D&D ruleset I like!" "why couldn't it be a different story, I don't care about beholders!"
This might be the release I care about most in about 3 years. The only step left before I buy is just reviews, but I expect that Larian will do a good job.

Not the first time; many developers have griped that it is under powered and a pia to support (and ms requires that all xbox be supported to release a product for the xbox); larian being larian is just being a wee bit more transparent than some other companies.

Back