Baldurs Gate 3 - Official Discussion Thread (2019)

DOS 2 was amazingly good looking with a bit to much clutter and some lighting issues, but that was about it.

Pretty happy this will follow the DOS formula, I've been craving more since being it several times.

I hope they have some of the same architectural buildings that were in BG1.

Last edited:
Hmm, looks more like a Neverwinter Nights game than Baldurs Gate...

Don't know what to think of this new one.

Hmm, looks more like a Neverwinter Nights game than Baldurs Gate...

Don't know what to think of this new one.
I'm afraid it's going to be another Dragon Age or BG2 type where it just takes you between major points in the world. I really enjoyed the original BG because you had to traverse through the wilderness (or at least could optionally) like real roleplaying. Just going between major points in the story doesn't draw me in.

Tommorow is a reveal I think they will also mention the Early Access release date as well.

20 minutes maybe wont' watch any untill tomorrow. My biggest gripe the trees all look like DOS trees.

I'd still prefer this to have gameplay closer to the Bioware BG games but it does look pretty good. I might just have to try out the Early Access version, depending on when it launches.

Baldur's Gate 3 Early Access system requirements

The Kobold:

• Processor: Intel i5-4690 / AMD FX 4350
  • Memory: 8 GB RAM
  • Graphics: Nvidia GTX 780 / AMD Radeon R9 280X
  • DirectX: Version 11
  • Storage: 70 GB available space
The Bulette:
  • Processor: Intel i7 4770k / AMD Ryzen 5 1500X
  • Memory: 16 GB RAM
  • Graphics: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB / AMD RX580

How about 1070/I5-2500 ;)
--
Actually when you think about it - it is truely amazing that an i3 wouldn't be run this game just fine. I think people dont' realize just how fast processors have become the past 20 years.

Baldur's Gate 3 Early Access system requirements

The Kobold:

• Processor: Intel i5-4690 / AMD FX 4350
  • Memory: 8 GB RAM
  • Graphics: Nvidia GTX 780 / AMD Radeon R9 280X
The Bulette:
  • Processor: Intel i7 4770k / AMD Ryzen 5 1500X
  • Memory: 16 GB RAM
  • Graphics: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB / AMD RX580

Only game I have any excitement for over the next 30 days I think, so yeah, hope it's good!

So not quite a hack'n'slash Baldur's Gate Dark Alliance on the ps2. heh.

Does anyone else get the feeling that this has all the hallmarks of a flop?

Above-average system requirements, videos about the cinematics, multiplayer, and sex in the game, very little about the game itself.

This doesn't seem like a successor to Baldur's gate. And the fact that the githyanki are in the game tells me they're pulling stuff from the Neverwinter games.

We will see, just because its a new game, doesn't mean I'm gonna spend good money on junk. vote with your wallet

From AMA.
"Larian_Swen
We really don’t want to spoil anything but we wouldn’t call it Baldur’s Gate 3 if there wouldn’t be a link. Let me just say that we touch upon the story of BG 1 & 2 in meaningful ways, there are returning characters and what happened in BG 1/2/tob leads to what happens into BG3. You won’t necessarily see that at the start of the adventure but you will quickly understand once you get further into the game."

Works for me. I enjoyed their other games and the studio seems to be comprised of mostly RPG nerds so I'm not worried.
Even if they can't top the Bhaalspawn story I trust them to make a good game.

Does anyone else get the feeling that this has all the hallmarks of a flop?

I was thinking the opposite. The voice acting seems really good, I think the story will match in quality. Plus Larian knows the expectations around the Baldurs Gate franchise and their last two games have been great. They know what it takes.

The above video says the engine they are using is Divinity 4.0 so its probably a big upgrade from Divinity OS 2. It doesn't look like BG at all though just because its 3D rendered like most top down isometric games are today. Maybe they are flaunting the game too much so this is the end result. Diablo 4 looks way more interesting. I'll pick up this game next week regardless.

Last edited:
Having never done the "early access" thing before, how does this work, exactly? Do we pay full price and they slowly trickle more content out or do we pay in stages or what?

Having never done the "early access" thing before, how does this work, exactly? Do we pay full price and they slowly trickle more content out or do we pay in stages or what?

Full price, content offered is dictated by dev rather than an accepted standard. Most EA stuff trickles out content, but if the dev does this like DOS2 it will be the first area with ~20 hours of gameplay that you are basically testing and all the rest will come at launch.

Back