Balanced videocard; PhysX on a Quadro 4000?

Work is phasing out all their internally built systems for Dell Precisions.

So, since I'm system administrator, I claimed one to replace my home system (that I JUST sold, and was better than this, but my coworkers and friends want me to play Doom with them).

It's old, but was decently equipped.

i7 2600k w/ high end cooler for overclocking
16GB Corsair XMS
Z68 motherboard
DVD burner
no hard drive (I can toss an SSD I have at home into it, and i'll probably toss a 500GB HDD in it for games, since I just don't want to pay for a 500GB SSD)
750W PSU
Quadro 4000.

I'm obviously wanting to swap out the GPU with something much newer and more Doom-worthy. Any suggestions? I'm looking at 1920x1200. I'd of course like a 1070, but if it's overkill for my system, maybe I can find a 900 series on sale from someone upgrading.

The Quadro 4000 will need to go, in the sense that it's not going to my GPU of choice. But, while tossing it on eBay is an option, is holding onto it to use as a PhysX card worth it?

There would be zero point in using such an outdated card for physx even if was supported. Heck a dinky 750 ti is twice as fast as that old Quadro 4000.

I'm getting a 970 off the FS forum.

I figured it probably wasn't worth it, but since I've spent the past 5 years in mATX/mITX land or on laptops, it wasn't something to concern myself with.

To eBay it goes! Maybe it'll get me enough to buy Doom.

Yeah, card never made any fucking sense. It's cut so deep on both shaders and clock speed that it has lower compute performance than the GTS 450!

The ones that are still there now are Core i7 970, 12GB (24GB Max) systems. Same GPU. Gigabyte motherboards instead of Asus. I was tempted, just because I could easily max the system with 24GB RAM...but I don't need another ESXi server, even if it would run circles around my home server, and I can't think of anything I'd do that would benefit from that much RAM.

Back