Bah no X1800xt overclocking

Unoid

[H]ard|Gawd
Apparently every preview/review does not show any overclocking of their reference boards.

What a dissapointment.

I'd check it out, but evidently Beyond3d is being flooded as I can't get on...

Can you give a synopsys of what was said? I too am looking for OVERCLOCK results...

tornadotsunamilife said:
Last paragraph is quite interesting
That whole paragraph is about the mem controller, so I think that the speed they state is the speed of the mem controller, not the gpu

I actually did try some programs to try a little overclocking on the X800 XL, however since these are new video cards with new device ID's and the like I couldn't get any work. I tried PowerStrip, Rage3D Tweak, RivaTuner and ATI Tool.

tornadotsunamilife said:

R520's memory controller already has the capabilities to support all current GDDR memory types, as well as GDDR4 which is coming in the near future. The design of the memory is such that it should scale to beyond 1.8GHz memory speeds over the course of its lifetime, which means that this memory design is likely to remain in ATI's designed for a few generations now; speeds in the order of 1.0GHz have already been achieved on R520.

Brent_Justice said:
I actually did try some programs to try a little overclocking on the X800 XL, however since these are new video cards with new device ID's and the like I couldn't get any work. I tried PowerStrip, Rage3D Tweak, RivaTuner and ATI Tool.
How did that dude from xtremesystems.org get it to work? Could he be full of shit?

Well now I don't know, I'm just telling you my experiences.

I really did not spend a whole lot of time on it since these are not retail cards.

Yeah, but what you said makes sense though. It would be really tough to OC a card that has a device id that isn't recognized by the apps that you OC with. Only thing I can think of is that he could have added the device somehow or the creator of one of the apps sent him a revision that worked with the X1 series.

Brent, thanks for clearing that up. But you should probably have inlcuded a statement about your efforts in your review, as it just seemed odd that you left it out altogether.

625mhz stock / 691 overclocked = 66mhz overclock (10.56%)...not too impressive. Not terrible...but not great either. My 6800GT has a stock speed of 350mhz and it will overclock all day long at 420 for a 70mhz overclock (20%)....anyone with a 7800GT or GTX out there wanna chime in with their overclock percentage?

I would like to see some benchmarks of a bunch of games running on a x1800xt versus one of the OCed 7800GTX's running @ 490/1300 and then compare it to an OCed x1800xt at like 690/1600 or something.

Brent, thanks for clearing that up. But you should probably have inlcuded a statement about your efforts in your review, as it just seemed odd that you left it out altogether.

Yes...I too was curious as to why there were no overclocking stats in the Preview...usually you end with OVERCLOCKING/CONCLUSION. You should have surely included the statement you mention above in the review for clarification.

IIRC, I remember reading somewhere about the R520's overclocking abilites. It said something along the lines of the card's architecture doesnt allow for much OCing so OCing on it will be small, if any.

CrimandEvil said:
3DMark scores tell you nothing. :rolleyes:

Personally I think it's full of shit since it's been mentioned in numerous previews how no one was able to get an OC results since none of the apps recognize the new cards.

Even if he did get the card to OC, running a benchmark with the same settings will at least give you some idea of a performance boost - maybe not "real world" but some idea. While benchmarks are just that, they are handy in seeing "if I change _this_, will it impact things much?"

I do find it interesting in that of the number of reviews out there, no one could get the cards to OC... secret tool? Could be.

Peace,
Tim

CrimandEvil said:
3DMark scores tell you nothing. :rolleyes:

Personally I think it's full of shit since it's been mentioned in numerous previews how no one was able to get an OC results since none of the apps recognize the new cards.
Well I know for a fact that ATi sponsored an OCing event over the weekend and they were OCing x1800xt's. I think they had one at like 850 something on the core and 1800 on the memory. So they are able to OC them. Perhaps that guy that I mentioned used the same method that Macci and them used at the ATi event. And as far as the whole 3dmark thing goes everyone knows that 3dmark05 doesn't really represent how games perform however when you are comparing stock to OCed settings you can use 3dmark05 to show the increase in scores.

691mhz on stock cooler + fans blowing on it is quite impressive.

Imagine that thing with a waterblock and ramsinks, and a voltmod (rumors of bios changable vgpu!?) 750-800 on water to extreme seems lovely.

850mhz on phase-change would be my guess...max.

691 on air isn't quite impressive to me...it's OK...but far from "impressive". Water may do 710-720....MAYBE...but then again we are talking about pre-production models here....as ATI didn't learn their lesson with Crossfire and it REALLY appears that this was another ugly paper launch....but I won't jump on that bandwagon until tomorrow...

...but considering the 7800's were IN THE BRICK AND MORTAR STORES at launch (even BEFORE launch...but couldn't be sold)...ATI has, it seems, dropped the ball yet ONE MORE TIME.

FrizzleFried said:
850mhz on phase-change would be my guess...max.

691 on air isn't quite impressive to me...it's OK...but far from "impressive". Water may do 710-720....MAYBE...but then again we are talking about pre-production models here....as ATI didn't learn their lesson with Crossfire and it REALLY appears that this was another ugly paper launch....but I won't jump on that bandwagon until tomorrow...

...but considering the 7800's were IN THE BRICK AND MORTAR STORES at launch (even BEFORE launch...but couldn't be sold)...ATI has, it seems, dropped the ball yet ONE MORE TIME.

frizzlepuff dude, you don't sound to enthusiastic about overclocking.

The reason to do water on a vid card 90% of the time is to cool the gpu thats been supplied MORE volts :) If you watercool ur vid card you're most likely Hard enough to voltmod, especially now if indeed you can up volts on the cards bios. Even better if by Win32 software!

water + volts at reasonable temps = 750mhz or better. even at stock volt I'd say average of 700-720 on good water.

New direction for thread.

I'm curious to see how well the x1800xl overclocks.

It should be teh same core exactly as the XT's but probably lesser yields.

perhaps the xl's can hit 630-680 gpu unless ati lowered the vgpu significantly for the XL's

...hmmm...all these discussions are SHIT until retail cards are available...

Lets make some predictions on when they will be...

My prediction is that the 1800-XL will start trickling in to the online sites in no less than 2 weeks....and B&M in a month at the earliest...and I only make this prediction based on ATIs past performance (or should I say LACK of performance).

...god I hope I am wrong.

Last generation: I was sold on the x800PRO but got the 6800GT because it was available (even though it was launched AFTER the X800 line)....

This generation: Not sold on either...but will be getting a 7800GT if there isn't a friggin' X1800XL to purchase/evaluate in the next couple weeks...

Back