Bah, Athlon XP 2500+ / NF7-S v2.0 lockups...

scott77

Limp Gawd
My desktop keeps locking up when I play games (pretty much any game), and I can't figure out what the cause is.

besides the specs in the subject, I've got a Radeon 9600XT video card and am using onboard sound. I am also running 512MB Corsair twinx memory @ 2.5-3-3-8...

Just reinstalled Windows XP, upgraded to SP2, latest chipset drivers from Abit, latest video driver from ATI...

I have tried disabling the onboard sound, but that didn't fix it. I am running memtest86 right now so we will see how that goes.

Anyone have any ideas on what might be the cause? I am almost to the point of getting a new motherboard and CPU but I'd really rather not just YET....

hmmm, so I just checdked my machine and it seems to be locked up in test #5 of memtest86...can't use any of the commands, caps lock doesn't do anything nor does numlock.

r u runnin stock speed? which corsair memory u got? try increasin the voltage to 2.8-2.9v.

stock cpu speeds, and i posted what memory I have? :confused:

ill try the voltage next time i reboot..thanks

scott77 said:
stock cpu speeds, and i posted what memory I have? :confused:

ill try the voltage next time i reboot..thanks

if u ask corsair i want "512MB Corsair twinx memory", they'll ask you which model?
i.e. is it twinx3200pro, ll, xl, c2, xms4000pro, etc.

ahh sorry it's been ages since i've even used this machine

It's XMS3200 platinum series

I upped the memory voltage to 2.8 and it didn't help, so I'm trying 2.9 now...

200Mhz...I tried CL=2 (don't remember the other timings with CL=2) and it bluescreened 2x in a row right after POST...Still going with 2.9v memory so if it locks up I'll see about your new suggestions

thanks!

try 166mhz.. if that still doesn't run stable, try runnin the memory at cas3. also try runnin one stick at a time. r u runnin dual channel?

2-3-3-6 didn't work, and I tried changing the memory speed to 166Mhz (6/3 I think) and it wouldn't even POST...I'm just gonna upgrade I guess... :( Thanks for your help

Wouldnt upgrade your motherboard or your cpu just yet. Do you have another machine you could test the memory in?

What kind of PSU you got. List all of your components. This is fixable I am sure...

operaman said:
What kind of PSU you got. List all of your components. This is fixable I am sure...
I was thinking it might be a power problem as well but didnt want to sound like a n00b.
It could possibly be a power issue. An indication that your power supply could be dying or not supplying enough voltage.

I have a very similar problem. I have an Abit NF7 2.0 with a XP Mobile 2400+... with a geforce 4 MX 440 with onboard sound. I have all the latest drivers for everything. Mine doesn't alwyas lock-up when playing games, but it always closes the game 10-20 minutes into it. It also will restart sometimes... I'll try running the memtest thing..

It's an Enermax PSU...don't remember how big, but I don't have a lot in this machine

Athlon XP 2500+ - Thermalright AX-7 + 80mm Vantec Tornado
Abit NF7-S v2.0
512MB Corsair XMS3200
ATI Radeon 9600XT
40GB Barracuda IV
300GB Barracuda
Lian-Li PC70
etc

The video card is my only card on the machine...

i'd say the next test is to try each stick individually. if they both work, it could be something with the board itself. also, the cpu could be faulty or overheating. try a test that maxes out the cpu without using significant ram to try to isolate the cpu and see if the system locks

Well I tried running each dimm by itself but HL2 didn't really like that..haha. It's the only game I've installed so far, but it was WAY too slow.

Thanks for the help guys but I just gave in and bought some stuff from Zipzoomfly.

AMD Athlon 64 3000+ Processor Skt 939 & MSI K8N Neo2 Platinum nForce3 Ultra Athlon 64(FX) Skt939 Motherboard Retail Bundle ***Free 2nd Day***
BFG GeForce 6800 GT OC AGP 8X 256MB DDR3 Video Card w/TV-Out & DVI Retail ***Free 2nd Day***

All for about $775 after tax since I'm in CA...

thanks again!

Back