Bad Video Card?

Klade

Limp Gawd
I just installed a Gigabyte GTX 760. Before that I was using a Nvidia 560. Never had any problems with the old card. After installing the new card I get a weird screen flicker. It doesn't happen all the time and strangely doesn't seem to happen when the video card is in active use. Rather when I just open a program or close a program I will get a screen flicker.

Is my card going bad? Or is this something else? Anyway I can test it out?

Uninstall the driver.
Reinstall the driver with reset to defaults ticked. (cant remember what the tick box is called, but its something like that)

it will help to say what you have tried or done so far.

Thus far I have uninstalled the drivers, gone through and made sure nothing else was installed by nvidia from previous installations, uninstalled the card in device manager, and reinstalled the video card with current drivers.

I have downloaded and ran 3dmark 11 to see if I could essentially "push" the video card into outright failure or at least see more failure from that then just regular use. I did not notice any screen flickerings while 3dmark was running. Only when it first started up and when it shut down like all other programs.

The flickering will happen with video games or with regular programs like windows explorer or web browsers. It does not seem tied to any particular type of program.

I also did try a different port and switched out cables with no change

Last edited:
Can you describe the flicker?
ie is it whole screen, part of screen, what flickers, is it a single flicker, is there any change in colour...

The flicker covers only part of the screen, I would estimate about 1/5th of the screen in a big thick grouping of horizontal lines. Its literally a flicker, meaning its there and gone in under a second. It always seems to be on the bottom half of the screen.

I do not. But I did not have a flicker problem with the computer using my old card with the same monitor.

Have you disabled Aero?
Are you using more than one screen?

Back