Status
Not open for further replies.

Untitledone

[H]ard|DCer of the Month - April 2012
His [H]ardforum account:
http://hardforum.com/member.php?u=155452

His Heatware profile:
http://heatware.com/eval.php?id=13787

Thanks to jhartono0002 for pointing out that ccityinstaller is banned from anadtech for a bad trade:
http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=3697&highlight=ccityinstaller

I purchased a few items to build a computer from him starting July 28. I purchased a few more items from him in the following weeks in the beggining of August, and told him to wait and combine all into one package. Some of the items include: Coolermaster HAF 912, water cooling loop, EVGA GTX 470, MSI X58M 1366 motherboard, a 530W rosewill power supply, and other items.

I dont have exact dates off the top of my head, but I can get them if needed. I payed $88 for shipping on the items (approximately 34lbs) which arrived sometime around mid August. Many of the items were damaged but usable. I have a few pictures if anyone would like to PM me with their email. Most of the items werent damaged badly but its still a bit annoying, such as a case fan that was missing a chunk of the housing. I contacted him about it and he blamed USPS, so I worked with him to set up an insurance claim. We came to the conclusion that it would be easier and cheaper for both of us if I kept the items but sent him pictures of the damage for him to file the claim. I went to my post office to ask if they could inspect the items if the insurance claim requested and they said they could. So he filed the claim and it was a waiting game after that.

A [H]ardocp friend of mine sent me a cpu (extra special CPU) to test the mobo to see if it was damaged. The CPU did not work so I sent the mobo and CPU to ccityinstaller to see if he could get it working since I was in a bind and didnt see very many options to continue on.

I have requested nemerous times for him to send the mobo and CPU back and I would pay return shipping. I have heard no response from him.

Fast forward to now. I have not heard from ccityinstaller since mid september. I have called him, texted him, emailed the two emails I have of his, and just recently posted a negative heat review. I have not heard on the status of the insurance claim and I am becoming very angry. My plan was to ask a few times for the items back and then post a negative heat and then post this message here about him. My next course of action will be to contact my local sheriffs department, and then contact the USPS to see if I can halt the insurance claim. My fear is that he has kept my goods, and ran off with the $500 insurance claim he filed. I personally can not tell if the insurance claim was justified or not because I do not know if ccityinstaller was to blame or USPS. However I know that my items were damaged and I want some kind of repayment for the damage, and for my frustration in all of this.

We had become IRC buddies so I was a bit more trusting of him than most online persons. Now I have learned a lesson that I should not be so trusting of people when it comes to business arrangements.

I have spent approximately $1400 on a computer (including shipping, items from ccityinstaller and newegg, and taxes) that has no motherboard, I dont have enough cash right now to buy a mobo or CPU to finish the build and I dont want to eat a huge loss yet selling some of the items to purchase a mobo and CPU.

EDIT: Its too late to do a paypal chargeback because it has been more than 45 days.

Last edited:
I paid with a visa debit card, can I still do that this far after the transaction? I had to pay credit card fees and I have been able to do chargebacks before. This would be the most ideal option since I would get my money back in a few days and not have to deal with it anymore.

The chargeback should still work. Tell them your story and just provide proof. Sorry to hear about your situation, you gave him his asking price, not sure why he would do such a thing.

Contact them and find out. Chargebacks can be filed after 45 days from what I've seen after having worked for PayPal.

I will try, but its been almost 60 days since I payed. I wish I wouldnt have waited so long trusting him.

i have had several transactions with ccinstaller and all went smoothly. I see that he hasnt logged on since 9-14. Maybe something happened to him especially since he wont answer phone calls. Shoot me his number via pm and ill try calling it.

i have had several transactions with ccinstaller and all went smoothly. I see that he hasnt logged on since 9-14. Maybe something happened to him especially since he wont answer phone calls. Shoot me his number via pm and ill try calling it.

PM sent. Some stuff did happen, but I dont see why that is an excuse to ignore me and not tell me anything. Its been a month, and I dont see how hard it would be for him to return a message with something along the lines of: "Hey stuff came up I will get back to you when I can".

EDIT: Sorry if I sound insensitive, but the communication stopped before he had some issues come up.

Last edited:
Situations like this can always get frustrating. It always urks me when I see sellers with all positive heatware just start to go bad, but that is not to suggest that it is intentional. Judging by the fact he hasnt logged on since mid September, there is always the possibility that some emergency in real life came up. Everyone is only human after all. However, I do agree with you, A month of time is plenty to send a reply back to someone, it really shouldnt matter what came up in life. Nobody is busy to the point where they cant spare 30 seconds to shoot a phone call, email, text, etc back to someone.

Hope you get it sorted out, that is quite a bit of money to send to someone over the internet. Id definitely say do a chargeback or whatever you can, maybe that will get his attention.

Situations like this can always get frustrating. It always urks me when I see sellers with all positive heatware just start to go bad, but that is not to suggest that it is intentional. Judging by the fact he hasnt logged on since mid September, there is always the possibility that some emergency in real life came up. Everyone is only human after all. However, I do agree with you, A month of time is plenty to send a reply back to someone, it really shouldnt matter what came up in life. Nobody is busy to the point where they cant spare 30 seconds to shoot a phone call, email, text, etc back to someone.

Hope you get it sorted out, that is quite a bit of money to send to someone over the internet. Id definitely say do a chargeback or whatever you can, maybe that will get his attention.

Thanks for the comment. I am friends with him on facebook, and some things did come up for him. I would not have found out if I did not read his facebook wall posts.

I am glad that I avoided trading with him a few months ago; he wanted to trade me an ES Quad + $200 for an ES Hex that I had at the time. Without hearing both sides of the story, all I can do is wish you the best of luck, Untitledone.

I know some others have had issues similar to this with ccity in the past. As a matter of fact, I'm having my own issues with him ATM.

However, I know he has some health complications and he has been known to come and go from time to time. I still need him to come through for me as well, so I'm hoping he bounces back at some point.

After seeing the AT thread on him.....yeah, doesnt inspire confidence. GL to you guys in trades with him.

What takes the cake is that he wanted me to send my $200 worth of ram along to make sure that it wasnt a memory issue. Thankfully I was wise enough not to do that.

"Doing unto others" seems to be a lost art with too many I'm afraid.:(

How can people like this sleep at night? :confused:

If I had something to trade or sell I'd be VERY upfront to describe whatever to the best of my ability till the last detail. I'd also ship whatever immediately - because I believe in the doing unto others.......

Same goes if heaven forbid the receiver has a problem to address and or correct it right away - again doing unto others.

Sorry OP that you're going through this and bad karma has a way to catching up to bad/unethical people. Hope it gets resolved to your satisfaction = if this were me first of all I'm known to overpack so you probably would've had to take 10 minutes to unravel that case from the way I would've packed it, but if it did arrive damaged I would've just either refunded you, send out a like replacement or work something out to your satisfaction.

Yeah, I too have done good transactions with him in the past. I'd be inclined to give him the benefit of the doubt. I know when I dealt with him a few months ago he was always talking about a medical situation and upcoming surgery. Something may be up that is out of his control.

That said, he is a little flaky with communications and at times slow to respond. Seems like taking action to get your money back is totally reasonable. But I wouldn't go trying to ding him just yet until you have the whole story.

I know you don't have malicious intents, you just want your money back and to be done with it. Hopefully it goes well for you and goes smoothly. And hopefully ccityinstaller can clear things up and make things right.

/politically correct tree hugging peace keeper rant :)

pre-existing medical situations shouldn't be used as excuses...if you know you have some serious medical problems then you shouldn't be selling/buying stuff...unless it's something out of the blue like getting shot or heart attack etc...if you know you are sickly then have someone else you know act as a backup in case something goes wrong...that second person could then be responsible for letting the other party know what is going on etc

pre-existing medical situations shouldn't be used as excuses...if you know you have some serious medical problems then you shouldn't be selling/buying stuff...unless it's something out of the blue like getting shot or heart attack etc...if you know you are sickly then have someone else you know act as a backup in case something goes wrong...that second person could then be responsible for letting the other party know what is going on etc
If you're having medical troubles, you don't put life on hold. And if things take a turn for the worse, you're probably not too concerned with some crap you sold to some Joe on a forum. But at least you consider getting shot or having a heart attack a reasonable excuse. I was beginning to think you didn't have a heart. ;) (kidding)

for the sake of keeping this thread on topic, If your not directly involved in this trade,please keep your comments to yourself.

for the sake of keeping this thread on topic, If your not directly involved in this trade,please keep your comments to yourself.
Then wouldn't that mean only Untitledone and CCityinstaller could participate?

Best of like OP. Maybe I'll try shooting ccity a text as well.

I'm out.

I have dealt with ccity in the past, hes a friend...

I know hes got ALOT of $h1t going on right now, I will give him a call too for ya!

Then wouldn't that mean only Untitledone and CCityinstaller could participate?

Best of like OP. Maybe I'll try shooting ccity a text as well.

I'm out.

Perhaps I should have phrased it better....if your not involved, or do not have information relevant to this trade, don't post.

Ok, just got back from the bank. A chargeback is in progress and my bank will have my money to me in 24 hours. They said it would take 3-4 weeks for it to actually work its way back to ccityinstaller. I am still willing to work this out if he contacts me. There still is the issue of the shipping insurance claim that I have not figured out how to approach yet.

Can I go to the post office and find out the status of a claim I did not start? I have almost all the goods that were filed on but it seems like he can still get the payout with the information I gave him (pictures), which would leave me with the damaged items and him with my money and the insurance pay out (double dipping).

I am not sure what to tell you on the insurance claim except to say, dealing with the USPS, a government entity, is very tiresome. Here are some details the USPS does not tell you. They will need an original invoice of the item from original purchaser to prove the item value. They dont tell you that but just purchasing insurance for x value does not guarantee youll get that amount of money back if something happens. If he or you or whoever doesnt have an invoice, I am not sure what happens as I never got that far... I can tell you when I claimed a item missing that I had insurance on, a YEAR went by before I got any money back. In my case they somehow found the item a year later and got it back to me, of course which by that time had greatly depreciated in value. Thanks USPS!

Thats the only time I had an issue though. ;)

PS: I am not sure if youd be able to check claim status on someone elses claim. Id guess no, but if you get the claim number and all that, should be able to call and find out.

The only information I have is that a claim has been filed, and I have half of the insurance stub which was affixed to the box. I dont have the magic one that they wanted for a claim to be filed.

To reiterate my concern, I have the damaged goods, and he has my money and a claim open.
If the claim is paid on he will get the money from it because he was the only one who could file.

So he would have my money, and the money from the claim. Pretty much getting paid twice for the same items.

I would have to confirm that CCinstaller is no longer a trader who can be trusted. CC was someone who I once considered a friend til he screwed me as he did the OP. Almost a year ago, I sent CC some cash to buy me a CPU from his local Microcenter. We had done lots of trading in the past so I figured I could trust him. However, the day he was to go to Microcenter for me, he claimed his wallet was stolen and someone used his debit card to drain his bank account of all available funds. Since then, it's been one excuse after another as to why he hasn't paid me back.

Everyone needs to be wary when dealing with CCinstaller in the future. Untitledone, sorry you got burnt by someone who was supposed to be our brother.

If all of this is true you guys need to leave bad heat for this guy. Tobit, your transaction counts if you ask me.

If all of this is true you guys need to leave bad heat for this guy. Tobit, your transaction counts if you ask me.

I left a bad heat rating. I am now nudging Tobit to do the same.

This makes me sad... don't think I ever did any actual business with ccityinstaller, but IIRC we exchanged a couple PMs in the past and he seemed like a very nice person.

Pity he fell to the Dark Side.

(Crosshairs, feel free to dope-slap me if I'm outta place... TBH I'm not really sure.)

This makes me sad... don't think I ever did any actual business with ccityinstaller, but IIRC we exchanged a couple PMs in the past and he seemed like a very nice person.

Pity he fell to the Dark Side.

(Crosshairs, feel free to dope-slap me if I'm outta place... TBH I'm not really sure.)

To be honest CC and I talked quite a bit, and I thought we had become close friends. Like Tobit shared, it seems he becomes friends with people and then screws them. Classic signs of a sociopathic con man. I feel violated.

:eek: ouch. That really sucks, man, for everyone involved.

Rather a shame that there are a few people in this world (relatively speaking) who, purposefully or otherwise, make it a real PITA for the rest of us... the jackasses who make airport security a necessary but almost-traumatic ordeal for millions of people around the world, for example. I mean, I know that some of 'em can't exactly help it (mental disorders) but that's what a good medical industry could deal with so much better...

...meh, I get philosophical real easy... I'll shaddup now, this is neither time nor place.

i dealt with him once and he was pretty prompt with the transaction. Mind you that was like 4 years ago lol, best of luck to you. I think everyone in this forum has been hit by a bad trader at least once somewhere online. My time was on EBAY when a guy sold me his computer but didn't have his x800xt pro on it and like the OP said didn't ship it out til the end of the paypal period. Lesson is to file a claim in exactly 2 weeks after payment in case anything happens.

CCinstaller sent me a text message on 12/23 to say he wanted to resolve the issue between us. He asked to meet up later that evening on IRC but he never showed nor has he tried to contact me since.

i75zbm.jpg

he wanted to buy my gtx465 converted to a gtx470 and i didnt go through with the deal with him because he was giving off signs of a bad trader. im so glad i never went through that deal with him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back