Bad to think about buying a 500gig 7200.12 right now?

Imitation

2[H]4U
Anyone think this is a bad idea or are those trouble free right now? Anyone have any idea? I'm contemplating buying some since they're 500gig on a single platter. I've seen some of the headlines lately about the all the 1.5tb drives and others in the 11 series having serious issues, that doesn't get me excited about a 7200.12 right now.

I'd make sure to see a good comparison between them and the AALS/AAKS drives from WD. Compare seeks times, transfer rates, and noise.

The seagate 500gb 7200.12 is amazing. It runs much faster, cooler and quieter than my 320gb 7200.10 drive. HD tune pro shows 106Mb/s average transferate, even faster than WD 640gb black drives. Love this drive, barely hear it when is running.

I got similar results to what this guy got.
1314de4.jpg

Mine is striped (and on a different system) so it's no easy to compare, but I think that if you stripe and short stroke these 500's they will be pretty fast. Lower seek times on the WD6401AALS though for sure.

I was actually thinking of going raid 5 with 3 of these guys and an areca 1210. I know they're pretty dang fast, but I'm a little leery of them after all the headaches seagate owners have had the last month or so. Its either these or 3 WD black 640's.

Honestly I feel like its gambling with your data at this point. Sure, maybe they fixed all of the issues they have been plagued with lately.

Maybe.

All three of mine arrived DOA, so I can't recommend them - but other people seem to be getting good drives.

Don't jump on a conclusion in a hurry, you might need to use PQ magic or HD tune to check your drives first. Windows did n't recognize my drive before I used pq magic to creat the partitions. Some one pointed out that it might be due to the old bios. The new board should be fine. I am not sure whether is the bios or not, I suggest you to try HD tune first to test your drives.

All three of mine arrived DOA, so I can't recommend them - but other people seem to be getting good drives.

bought one.
gonna short stroke it for \\vilya, and move the AAKS back to the server for another 750GB of space on it.

Of the three I got, 1 caused machine to fail @ POST, the second would never get past 1% on format and when I tried to add it to a RAID0 (ICH9r) it would always show up as FAILED.

Man, I really wish seagate was f'ing things up right now, I don't think I want to have the possibility of getting hosed by bad drives, and at the same time if i'm buying new drives I want the fastest available right now. Not to say the WD black drives are slow, they'll work out pretty well in RAID 5 i htink, definitely be faster than my single 500gig AAKS I'm running at the moment.

Back