Bad preformance w/ X800 XL

jsn117

Limp Gawd
Since I built my new system, game preformance has been sub-par.

I'm getting 30's fps in CS:S - and 20's in BF 2 @ 1680x1050 no AA/AF. On top of that, my 3dMark05 score is around 3600. CPU and HD tests reveil no problems, although the HD had a average seek time of 14's.

what could be the problem?

have u tried turning down the resolution to aleast 1280@1024.

or try reinstalling the drivers of your videocard with ATi drivercleaner. and what driver version do u have.

also with your harddrive is that a Maxtor DiamondMax10 300GB 16MB cache Sata HD.

Seek time looks fine (perhaps a tad slow). Either way, that wont explain your problems.

Sounds to me like you might need to install the motherboard chipset drivers. Also make sure you have your ram in dual-channel mode. If you are overclocking, try to avoid using memory dividers. I'm putting my money on you needing motherboard drivers or updated motherboard drivers.

3600 in 3dmark05 is pretty low.

bubblethumper said:
Seek time looks fine (perhaps a tad slow). Either way, that wont explain your problems.

Sounds to me like you might need to install the motherboard chipset drivers. Also make sure you have your ram in dual-channel mode. If you are overclocking, try to avoid using memory dividers. I'm putting my money on you needing motherboard drivers or updated motherboard drivers.

3600 in 3dmark05 is pretty low.

Actually, memory dividers don't affect much. I went fron DDR400 2.5-3-3-7 and the processor with an HTT of 220 scoring around 10k in 3dmark 03. Now I have a gig (had a gig before) at DDR420 1:1 ratio w/ the CPU 2-2-2-6 and I got just about the same score.

I plan to try HTT 240 DDR480 1:1 and 2-2-2-11 for a 3800+ effective. That should boost me a bit, if not I can look into OC'ing my X800XL.

Well... I guess I got off topic by talking about memory issues. I was trying to say in my original post that he needs to look into it, but that it's not the primary cause of his low score.

I'm thinking that if he lacks the nvidia mobo drivers, the scores would be that low.

Or if he's running 3dmark at unusually high detail settings. Or high resolution.

bubblethumper said:
I'm thinking that if he lacks the nvidia mobo drivers, the scores would be that low.

I second that , get the LATEST NForce drivers for your mobo , that SHOULD/WILL fix things , unless you have already done that then i dunno ;\

No-one's actually asked for the rest of the PC specs?. Without those, it's difficult to speculate what the problem may be.

Violator said:
No-one's actually asked for the rest of the PC specs?. Without those, it's difficult to speculate what the problem may be.
They're listed in his sig... and 3dmark is basically all GPU dependant

re-installation of the drivers bumped the fps to 40's, which is livable.

thanks guys

Back