Bad Pool Header?!

Elvis Ma

n00b
hey guys
a while ago i upgraded to a 64 bit machine.
i bought an amd64 3200 and a msi k8n neo platinum board and transfered my existing components onto this board. Anyways, after my upgrade i found out that my system was unstable because of my ram (ocz pc3200 dual channel kit) so i replaced it with one stick of 512 kingston hyperx ram. THIS is when i started to get some serious problems. my system started to crash from doing ANYTHING. at first it took more intense applications to crash the system like doom3...then even using MS word or surfing the internet got really frustrating from all the crashes. so after countless hours of scouring the net for help, i decided to suck it up and get it serviced by someone. They told me i had a bad board, so they sent it away for me and now i have a new one(maybe some board just fixed..i dunno). so i finished putting my system back together just a few hours ago...and had no problems until.....i was doing homework. the blue screen of death that ive gotten to know all-so-well shows up again and tells me i have a "bad pool header"(which means nothing to me). So with my mainboard ruled out, what can be the cause of this problem and what can i do to fix it? sorry i made this msg a little long but i thought giving you the past of my system might help when it comes to determing whats wrong.

thanks alot for all your time and i appriciate any sort of help or insite.
elvis

my system:
amd64 3200
msi k8n neo platinum
512 kingston hyperx
geforce 5600

This may just be a random guess, but take another look at how your CPU is mounted, that the HSF is nicely attached, and none of the pins are even slightly bent. It sounds like some random data corruption, and since you've ruled out the board and RAM, it doesn't leave much. Of course, I'm assuming you're running at stock speeds/voltage now. I only say this as it was a similar problem to an old Athlon I came across, where the guy installed the CPU a little bit sloppily. Hope this helps

Post the C:\windows\minidump files somewhere were I can get at them, and I will take a look.

This will allow me to debug and try and figure out what is causing your bluescreen.

hey guys, thanks for all the help.
I opened up the case and took a 2nd look at how my cpu was mounted and i didnt see anything wrong. everything looked solid, and the thermal grease was spread evenly.
I gave up and brought it in to get serviced(sigh..there goes another hundred dollars or so) cause im in a bit of a hurry to get it fixed for school.
anyways, thanks again
elvis

hey guys,
i got a call from my computer repair guy telling me it was my RAM. he said he couldnt get my rig to run for more then 10-15 minutes under load so he replaced the ram with some generic ram for testing and ran it through the night without any problems. he also said that its not nesecarily BAD ram, its just that my board doesnt like that type of ram.
anyways, does anyone know of kingston will be able to do anything for me like replace my ram or something? because on the MSI website, they say that their boards support kingston ram...this is kinda like false advertising..isnt it?

thanks
elvis

Kingston makes all kind of RAM, not all of it's going to be compatible with your system. Sometimes there are specific chip-chip incompatibilities, it happens.

it was obviously a ram problem. You could've tried a bios update (if there is one). Otherwise, just use the generic ram and ebay the kingston.

stick with mushkin next time

Yoblad said:
it was obviously a ram problem. You could've tried a bios update (if there is one). Otherwise, just use the generic ram and ebay the kingston.

stick with mushkin next time
The type of incompatibility he's refering to has to do with the brand of memory on the chip itself (ie winbond, hynix), mushkin and kingston are likely to buy from both. There is nothing wrong with his kingston memory stick, it's the specific brand/speed/model of the actual chip on the stick.

In otherwords, this just as likely could have been a mushkin stick. There is nothing wrong with kingston as a brand.

Try removing USB devices one at a time too, I had the same problem with a thumb drive I use. Once I removed my rig stayed on just fine.

Back